Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case sizing lube.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Case sizing lube.

In the past, using Imperial has worked fine. After a day of shooting I would have 20, maybe 30 cases to clean & size for reloading. As of late, it's common to come home with 80 to 100 cases that need sizing.

Imperial, although a good product, takes too long.

What's available to help speed things up a little?
    Maybe a little less labor intense?

Something a little cheaper, too.

It used to therapeutic, relaxing, almost fun when there was only a few cases. Now its more like work.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

LongRange told me use this. It's Great
    99% pure isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin as my sizing lube mixed in a spray bottle at 12oz of iso to 1oz of lanolin.
    Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Basic Member
    Yeah, that recipe has been around here for a while.

I assume to alcohol evaporates leaving the lanolin behind to provide lubricant for the case?

How about inside the case neck?

Basic Member
    Over the years ive tried a variety of lubes. They all worked to some degree of satisfaction.
    When the sprays came about friends told me i was missing the boat by not using them due to being quick and easy.
    I tried them for a year or so before deciding i didnt like quick and easy. I still have a can i cant give away.
    Since, ive been using the Imperial wax and feel its a good choice for me. A very small ammount on a finger tip
    applied to an inside edge of the case mounth and neck/shoulder area is enough. A can will last me for several years.
    I do notice if others use it there is a noticabe difference in the ammount they use based on whats left in the can.

Quote Originally Posted by XL105 View Post
    99% pure isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin as my sizing lube mixed in a spray bottle at 12oz of iso to 1oz of lanolin.
    This is the recipe I use. I use ISO-Heet for the alcohol, because it's 99% iso, and it's easier to find. The liquid lanolin I picked up on Amazon in a 4oz bottle. ISO-Heet comes in 12oz bottles, so it's pretty simple to mix. The 99% tends to dissolve the lanolin a lot better than 91% does.

I usually stand my cases up on a piece of cardboard and spray them from an above angle on all sides. I've found the key is making sure you give the alcohol ample time to evaporate. I then tumble again to remove it, because I tend to go heavy on the lube to make sure I don't have any stuck cases.

Basic Member
    I use the Cabela's brand spray lube and it works perfectly fine. I think it was like $8. Light coating in the case holder, FL size, throw 'em in the ultrasonic cleaner for 20 minutes, maybe the tumbler if I'm feeling ambitious, and trim. Prep is by far the least fun part of reloading, so I've done everything I can do make it as quick and painless as possible.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

I bought a bottle of each mixed them in a 12oz bottle. Just that bottle will last Long time.
    Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post

I assume to alcohol evaporates leaving the lanolin behind to provide lubricant for the case?
    yes.

a hand full of #6 or #8 shot in a small container with dry graphite...use a soft nylon brush or just dip the necks..make sure there are no BB's in the case as they play havoc on decapping pins and rods....also if you can buy carbide expanders/buttons you dont need inside neck lube.

ive used most every lube you can think of and probably a few most ppl havent and the liquid lanolin is by far the best and easy to clean off.

Quote Originally Posted by XL105 View Post
    LongRange told me use this. It's Great

I either use Lee's case lube, or this-ish. Somehow I ended up with a few bottles of Everclear, so That plus lanolin.
    I've used straight lanolin, but you only need a LIIIIITTTTTTTLLLLLLEEEEE bit.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Lees is not bad. Imperial and chapstick work about the same.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member

Imperial, although a good product, takes too long. What's available to help speed things up a little?
    Put it on a RCBS lube pad. Roll, size, repeat. You can even lay five or so side to side on the pad then roll-lube them all at the same time if you want.
    Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Over the years ive tried a variety of lubes. They all worked to some degree of satisfaction.
    When the sprays came about friends told me i was missing the boat by not using them due to being quick and easy.
    I tried them for a year or so before deciding i didnt like quick and easy. I still have a can i cant give away.
    Since, ive been using the Imperial wax and feel its a good choice for me. A very small ammount on a finger tip
    applied to an inside edge of the case mounth and neck/shoulder area is enough. A can will last me for several years.
    I do notice if others use it there is a noticabe difference in the ammount they use based on whats left in the can.
    I have a feeling I'm headed the same way.
    Everyone I've talked to says the same thing about sprays. Quick, easy & messy.
    I guess it's time to experiment.
    Starting with a alcohol / lanolin based concoction.

Thanks for all the replies.

LongRange
    I have a feeling I'm headed the same way.
    Everyone I've talked to says the same thing about sprays. Quick, easy & messy.
    I guess it's time to experiment.
    Starting with a alcohol / lanolin based concoction.

Thanks for all the replies.
    just remember the mix is 12 to 1 don't believe the 16 to 1 or what ever other ratios there are.

Basic Member
    Gotcha.
    Keep in mind, a typical run of brass for prep is seldom less than 25 - 30 pcs.

I thought about buying new brass, load, shoot & throw it away so I could buy more but the stuff is hard to find & I think the 'lil woman may have something to say about it.
    She can be a real pain in the bopkiss sometimes.

I use a single stage press and Imperial.

My lube procedure consists of running my thumb overvthe can, rubbing the thumb over the tips of all but my pinky finger then run them over the case as I pick it up and run and insert into the shell holder. There is a pass into a small pile of graphit and an inside neck brush.

Sounds complicated but it takes only about half again as much time as picking the cas and putting it directly into the shall holder.

Hornady One Shot spray aerosol dry case lube.

its fast.....no oil residue...none what so ever.
    Ive been reloading for 35years and I wished id of started using it along time ago.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Hornady One Shot spray aerosol dry case lube.

its fast.....no oil residue...none what so ever.
    Ive been reloading for 35years and I wished id of started using it along time ago.
    Much over-spray?

Or is it no muss - no fuss?

That's where I worry about sprays. Can I spray 40 or 50 cases or does the stuff dry & need reapplication?
    Maybe toss a bunch in a gallon size baggie and do the "shake-n-bake routine with the bag?

Basic Member
    Been using mink oil for years.

Inside the case necks, use mica. it can be gotten from Midway USA and probably other companies. I bought my jar probably 15 years ago and I'm still using it with plenty left in the jar. Powdered graphite will also work.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Much over-spray?

Or is it no muss - no fuss?

That's where I worry about sprays. Can I spray 40 or 50 cases or does the stuff dry & need reapplication?
    Maybe toss a bunch in a gallon size baggie and do the "shake-n-bake routine with the bag?
    Try it. You have my word. You,ll never go back. no mess. no sticky oil residue. one application. tumble your brass 1st, spray the cases along with the inside of the die......you,ll be amazed as to how well it works. you can even load rifle loads progressively if you so wish.
    1st time I used it I had to pull my mic out and see if infact it did resize the dam case. it felt like it didn't resize it. it was too easy.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    So you're saying no muss, no fuss.
    No greasy residue.
    Tastes great / less filling.
    No aftertaste.

How is it on cost?
    As I mentioned in my opening statement, I'm sizing a considerable number of cases at a time. The economical aspect of it is a consideration
    In fact, I went to the local shooting place around 1300 today. Came home at 1700 or so and had to sort & log in 85 cases. They get de-capped and tossed in the tumbler right away for sizing at a later time (like a rainy day or when the 'lil woman is in one of her hormone fueled moods).

How much use can you get out of a bottle?

Yes. during the x,mas holiday, I processed about 1k worth of 223 brass for all my gas target rig s. 10 bucks a can . Probably cheaper on the net.
    Not sure how much you can squeeze front 1 aresol can,but I still have some after sizing those 1k 223s.
    Personally, I'm not worried about the cost. If something makes processing brass easier? ....I'm all in

LongRange
    So you're saying no muss, no fuss.
    No greasy residue.
    Tastes great / less filling.
    No aftertaste.

How is it on cost?
    As I mentioned in my opening statement, I'm sizing a considerable number of cases at a time. The economical aspect of it is a consideration
    In fact, I went to the local shooting place around 1300 today. Came home at 1700 or so and had to sort & log in 85 cases. They get de-capped and tossed in the tumbler right away for sizing at a later time (like a rainy day or when the 'lil woman is in one of her hormone fueled moods).

How much use can you get out of a bottle?
    shoot me your addy i have an almost full can you can have...while Eddie is having great luck with the one shot my experience was the exact opposite.

i bought it to try when i was shooting a 300wm...i hosed 50 cases down sprayed the die and the first case was scary hard...second case...STUCK...tore the rim off then got the stuck case tool out...ended up having to soak the die in PB blaster over night and put a little heat to the die the next morning because the stuck case tool was starting to strip the threads in the brass.
    a couple of months latter i thought id try it on some 260 cases thinking they are smaller....3rd case stuck so that was the end of that.

also if your loading in the house the one shot has a strong smell even if you spray outside and then bring the cases in you can still smell the one shot.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info in fact, I think I'll take Long Range up on his offer however, based on his experience with the 300WM cases, I think I'll use it for 308 & 30-06 based stuff. No heavy hitters.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    shoot me your addy i have an almost full can you can have...while Eddie is having great luck with the one shot my experience was the exact opposite.

i bought it to try when i was shooting a 300wm...i hosed 50 cases down sprayed the die and the first case was scary hard...second case...STUCK...tore the rim off then got the stuck case tool out...ended up having to soak the die in PB blaster over night and put a little heat to the die the next morning because the stuck case tool was starting to strip the threads in the brass.
    a couple of months latter i thought id try it on some 260 cases thinking they are smaller....3rd case stuck so that was the end of that.

also if your loading in the house the one shot has a strong smell even if you spray outside and then bring the cases in you can still smell the one shot.
    I think I'll take you up on that.
    Smell?
    Can't be any worse than my socks in the laundry bucket. My wife moved it out into the garage.

PM headed your way
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast