Thread: forser 3 way cutter...

LongRange

forser 3 way cutter...

well as most of you know i asked about this and then decided to order one...i ordered the forser original trimmer,a #1 collet,the power adapter and the 3 way cutter head $101 bucks after the round up...this is one of 3 packages that was MIA in the mail/UPS and 2 of the 3 showed up last night...anyway after reading the mixed reviews on these i wasnt expecting to be impressed to be honest so i got it set up and trimmed a couple of cases and needless to say i wasnt impressed.

the outside blade was not chamfering the cases so i adjusted it and got it set then noticed the cases were still the same length so it wasnt trimming...after looking a little harder i found the the length set ring wasnt allowing the cutter to contact enough to trim...DOUH...so me being in a hurry to try it wasnt paying attention and the outside blade was probable set perfect from the factory...so after a little MORE adjusting i got it set up but may have to back the outside blade off just a little more.

after trimming a couple of case with it i was quite surprised at how well it works so i went out and made a mount for it that also supports the drill and trimmed a few more cases and with a little more fine tuning i trimmed 35 or so cases and every cases was 2.028 to 2.0285 and both the inside and outside cuts are supper clean...i will play with the forser for awhile but i will say that i am at this point impressed enough that i might just buy a gracy power trimmer!!

the 3 way head...

the fine adjustment screw and on the other side of the ring is the course adjustment set screw...

the 10min plywood base...

a trimmed case....

IMHO...worth every penny of $101 bucks as case trimming is one part of loading im not real fond of!!

Heck yeah, can't wait to hear some more thoughts after you've used it for a while. Trimming is something I hate doing as well.

Basic Member
    I use the RCBS Trim Pro 2 with their 3 way cutter blade. I still hand crank though. It works very well for me. Might have to look into the power adapter setup down the road though.

Basic Member
    Im still using one of those that belonged to my dad. Its over 60 years old at this point.
    It looks exactly like this one except for the cutter head. Mine dosent chamfer the case neck.
    It does all sizes up to and including 378 weatherby cases. I bought another in the larger size
    for bigger cases. I have the power setup but never used it. I use the R C B S case prep machine
    for chamfering the necks and cleaning primer pockets. I am also still using my dads Redding balance scale,
    and his Belding & Mull powder measure. All over 60 years old.

Basic Member
    i was thinking of getting one of these 3 way cutters for my unit when doing 223's, i hate screwing with the deburring/chamfering process on this smaller case mouths! in your pics though i don't know if i like the sharp edge on the case mouth, seems to sharp. can yyou adjust it anyway?

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    i was thinking of getting one of these 3 way cutters for my unit when doing 223's, i hate screwing with the deburring/chamfering process on this smaller case mouths! in your pics though i don't know if i like the sharp edge on the case mouth, seems to sharp. can yyou adjust it anyway?

Bruce
    yes...im pretty sure ive got the outside blade adjusted to deep as i started right off adjusting it when i got it...im pretty sure it was set correctly from the factory but i wasnt paying attention and in a hurry to test out the new toy...im going to readjust it today...its simple to adjust it just takes multiple times to get it set right because your working with thousands.
    and like i said above it trims,deburrs and chamfers very clean...i loaded 20 rounds this morning to go out and play with a couple of other toys i just got and noticed that the bullets seem to seat into the cases a little smoother...im very happy with it so far....if you buy one play with it a little before adjusting anything LOL!

To bad your not my neighbor. Id let you borrow my Gracy so you can get the gist of the devise.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    To bad your not my neighbor. Id let you borrow my Gracy so you can get the gist of the devise.

After using the forster i think next month i may buy a gracy...brass trimming isnt so bad with the three way cutter so i imagine its fun with a powered unit lol.

One of the main reasons I like the gracy is how easy it is to use and set up.once adjusted your ready to go. There's no need clamp the brass to a holder per say. Simple stick the brass in a fixed fixture that you adj. And have at it. It has its pros and cons. If the blade is dull and not adjusted correctly the end result is not good. Buy one,figure It out . You,ll like it. The main reason I got my gracy was to cut the brass on all 4 of my 223 target gas guns. Dam things eat up large amounts of my reloads.

few more $$, I went for Giraud,
    newbie from gr, mi.

LongRange
    i played with adjusting the cutting blades yesterday afternoon and got them set where i like how they are trimming...the outter blade is pretty simple to adjust the inner blade not so much...in fact it is a real PITA lol...it took about an hour to get the blades set to where i wanted them and now im not so sure ill buy a powered unit...after i got the blades set i went through 50 cases in about 10mins and im still new to the set up so with a little more use and getting the moves down im thinking i can trim 100 cases in 15mins or less...i never timed myself doing each step separately but im guessing it takes at least 30mins to do 100 cases,

i have 100 cases im getting ready to prep for reload today so ill time the trimming and post back later on.

LongRange
    so i just trimmed 101 cases i have for my AI project and it took 19mins and that was fumbling with cases at the start to figure how to get cases in and out quickly so 15mins or less is doable and like i said i never timed the other way but im thinking it may have been closer to 45mins since everything was by hand and all separate steps...time savings will be about 30mins...im good with that...plus the forster set up is about $250 bucks less than a powered unit.
    i guess if i was doing 500 cases at a time id buy a gracy or a Giraud but im happy with this set up for what i do.

Exactly, I've sat down and cut upwards of 600 ish 223,s in one sitting.
    For as much brass as your cutting? I think your set.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    yes...im pretty sure ive got the outside blade adjusted to deep as i started right off adjusting it when i got it...im pretty sure it was set correctly from the factory but i wasnt paying attention and in a hurry to test out the new toy...im going to readjust it today...its simple to adjust it just takes multiple times to get it set right because your working with thousands.
    and like i said above it trims,deburrs and chamfers very clean...i loaded 20 rounds this morning to go out and play with a couple of other toys i just got and noticed that the bullets seem to seat into the cases a little smoother...im very happy with it so far....if you buy one play with it a little before adjusting anything LOL!
    you might be like me, i usually don't read instructions because "i know everything"!LOL but as soon as i realize i screwed up, out come the instructions.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    you might be like me, i usually don't read instructions because "i know everything"!LOL but as soon as i realize i screwed up, out come the instructions.

Bruce
    Nice to know there are others like me!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67