Thread: Vintage model 66c Buckhorn rifle

Vintage model 66c Buckhorn rifle

I just picked up a Stevens model 66c Buckhorn. And boy is it rough.
    The PO has done a really crappy job refinishing the stock, it's filthy and way over oiled. The bluing is gone and there is pitting in various spots on the receiver.
    Seems like I have another project on my hands. I'm thinking a complete teardown and a thorough cleaning is in order. Then polishing the rust off the barrel and receiver. Polishing the bolt. Then giving everything but the bolt a good heat bluing.
    I really would like to get the bolt apart and clean it too. But I think some research is gonna be needed for that.
    I will post pics in a few to let you all know how it is coming along.
    "Only two things are infinite, human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not certain about the Universe." - Albert Einstein.

Basic Member
    Looking forward to seeing your progress. The Buckhorn guns are not the fanciest in wood or trigger but they have real good barrels and are accurate if the bore was kept clean.

I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning. Started with brake cleaner and then moved to Hoppes. I cleaned all the rust off of the barrel and receiver with a wire wheel. I debated on using the polishing wheel to see if I could get rid of most of the pitting. I gave it a shot and realized it was going to be a lot more work than I thought.
    I really don't think it has ever been taken care of. I have two hours into cleaning the receiver with a wire toothbrush. I ended up chucking a cleaning rod with a stainless bore brush into a cordless drill to break down the rust in the bore. Then another hour running patches through it. The bore is shiny but there is some pitting. I am not sure how the chamber is going to go. I think it had a lot of shorts ran through it because the powder debris buildup in the chamber was excessive.
    It has only one heat bluing as it sits right now. I ran out of time yesterday. I will disassemble and hit it again this weekend.
    The positive side is that now will cycle ammo through. It wouldn't before. I still don't know if it fires tho.
    I wasn't able to find any info on how to pull the bolt apart. And it seems to have been chromed, I think.
    I am going to attack the stock this weekend too. Strip the heavy layer of varnish(runs and all) off and give it a good sanding. Then give it a nice light coat of Walnut stain.

Here are some pics:
    http://imgur.com/a/QuoTM
    Last edited by phinfan; 12-11-2015 at 04:25 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite, human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not certain about the Universe." - Albert Einstein.

Basic Member
    Nice project... Share the pictures when she gets done and the range report.