Thread: mounting a prostaff on an axis

SThomas3791

mounting a prostaff on an axis

i recently got a great deal on a 3-9x40 nikon prostaff at walmart. it was clearance priced at $74, regularly $180. i had decided i wanted to swap out this prostaff with my weaver kaspa currently on my axis ii 30-06. well, turns out it will not fit with the factory scope bases. whats your remedy for this? a DNZ 1 piece? will i have clearance issues in regards to the bolt? if so what height with this DNZ is recommended? thanks all!

Inebriated
    What aspect of it doesn't fit?

rfd12fv
    as long as the ring size is correct for the tube diameter, and the ring type is right for yer base, figuring out ring height for bolt clearance becomes the important issue, and sometimes that's trial and .... error. i want my glass as low as possible to the barrel's bore and still have decent bolt clearance. someone that has yer scope on their axis needs to chime in and tell ya what rings did the trick for tube diameter, base type and clearance height.

rs
    Had the same problem , installed a one piece slotted weaver base ,problem solved.

Weaver one piece.
    Last edited by wbm; 09-20-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Inebriated
    If the length is the problem, the ProStaff that came on one of my 111's had an extended front base.

I'd use this as an excuse to get some Leupold rings and bases on there, and incidentally, that's what I'm doing. I've got a set of Leupold DD rings/bases showing up Monday for the 111/ProStaff setup. I'll let you know how it goes, the Axis and 111 round receiver uses the same mount.

Basic Member
    A Weaver 402 extended base gives about an inch of extra space between the front and rear rings. A long action and the short tube scopes we have today need an extended base. The base is only about $5 while the DNZ costs close to $50.

Basic Member
    DNZ 1 piece is the best route to go I think.
    Call them on the phone and tell them what you have. They will fix you up! 919-777-9608

SThomas3791
    yea i was figuring on going the DNZ route. for now i mounted my bushnell trophy xlt on it as a decent upgrade over the weaver kaspa. had to get high rings though so i could clear the bolt with no issues but all in all im thinking everything should be fine. this trophy xlt is around the same class scope as the nikon in my opinion. both are upgrades over the weaver.

alamancecreek

Better late than never

First post, and thought this may help someone in the future.
    I ran into a problem mounting my Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 on an Axis I received Christmas Day from my wife. I ran out and bought the two piece weaver bases and medium Grand Slam rings. Got scope mounted and noticed that the rubber around the scope zoom adjustment was rubbing. I then went to open the bolt and the handle was rubbing the scope ever so slightly. Ended up switching to High Rings and problem solved. I'm sure there are many ways to alter this setup but with the design shape of a prostaff it's a bit tricky.

Basic Member
    Ran in to the same thing with my Axis in 7mm08. I bought a 3x9x50 Pro Staff and it would not fit. The tube was too long on the new scope and the bases would not adjust any farther apart. Ended up they had a set of Leupold rings and bases. This added quite a bit more cost to the upgrade. The scope sits close with the bell just clearing the barrel, bolt cycles as it should. However, it is too close if I wanted to put on any of the flip up style scope covers on it.

Basic Member
    If you have money to burn, I envy you, and you can use the DNZ. If not, get a Weaver 1-piece base, and you'll never know the difference.

alamancecreek
    Will the Weaver 1 piece eliminate the bolt handle rubbing the scope? I had two issues with the prostaff, one was height clearance and then of course the rubbing of the scope. I'll use these rings on something else in the safe and the two piece bases were not expensive anyways. I've ordered a boyd stock and some other goodies so it's still in the build phase.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alamancecreek View Post
    Will the Weaver 1 piece eliminate the bolt handle rubbing the scope? .
    It will if you use the correct height rings.

Basic Member
    I have shaved the bolt handle on a couple that just touched the eye box. Little cold blue, paint or sharpie blends in fine.