Thread: accutrigger in axis

hatchs

accutrigger in axis

I recently got my second savage axis this one is in 22 250 and it will be a long range varmint rifle and I want a light crisp trigger in it, I want to put the varmint accutrigger in it and I've seen a video on doing it and how to grind down the sides to make it fit, my question is are the Sears the same on the accutrigger and non accutrigger rifles I've compared it to 2 of my other rifles with the accutrigger and with the naked eye they look the same, can the sear on the varmint trigger be put in the axis without any issues, has anyone done this without switching the Sears if they are different if so is it still free of creep
    Last edited by hatchs; 12-09-2015 at 12:38 PM.

rfd12fv
    i wouldn't wanna deal with the hassle of retrofitting an accu into an axis.

imo, the better/easier thing to do is stick in a drop-in basix trigger - been there, done that, extremely satisfied.

a basix can easily go down under a pound pull and my 223 axis is set for 14 ounces.

hatchs
    Are there other things that need to done to it besides grinding the sides down?

Tamusdh

Accutrigger

I installed an Accutrigger about 1 month ago on my Axis 308 HB. Just ground down the sides until it fit. I also clipped a few coils off the spring as it seemed to be rather tight and would not allow spring adjustment. Once I clipped I was able to then adjust the spring to my liking. The break is crisp and no creep. Breaks a little over a pound I guess (do not have scale). Only reason I went with the Accutrigger is that it was 1/2 the cost of the other aftermarket triggers I found. Got a good deal on it. This trigger was much better than the stock trigger.

Basic Member
    One thing I would "warn against" is the possibility the sear will fall (maybe just drop onto the safety blade and lock up) if, before pushing safety off, you pull the trigger real hard, then push safety forward to the fire position.

For example, if you pull up to shoot a deer, have a bit of "buck fever" and forget to push the safety off before trying to pull the trigger.... you pull and pull, harder and harder, then realize the safety is on... flip the safety off and then, without touching the trigger, the sear falls and locks up against the safety blade. It does not always happen, but it might, if the trigger weight is too low. I have had a number of Axis rifles do this after doing "trigger jobs" on regular Axis triggers. It doesn't happen when the action is out of the stock, but it can when in the stock. The solution, I have found, is to grind down the plastic stock material immediately behind the rear pillar.