Thread: New Member with Question on Axis Stock

SAN14

New Member with Question on Axis Stock

Brand new here after lurking for a week or two. I just got an Axis in .223 and installed a scope, free-floated and stiffened the forearm.

I'm not that big at 5-9 and find the stock LOP to be too much for my liking. In fact, I need to buy different scope mounts to set the scope
    further back for perfect eye relief. I had no problem shortening the synthetic stocks on my older Mod.10 in 308 and Mod.110 in 30-06. However, I
    see no way of removing the buttpad on this Axis stock. Tried pushing in on that little square on top of the stock...yupp...broke it and don't see
    what purpose it serves.
    So, any member here know how to remove the buttpad? And once it's off, can I shorten the stock to fit me? I'm not looking at buying a
    wood stock as this is a cheap shooter.

Thanks

Remove the rear sling swivel. Don't sweat the broken tab. I think we've all done it at least once, and as you've discovered, the sling swivel holds the pad in place quite firmly!

Shortening is possible, though reusing the factory buttpad will be more difficult. A better solution might be to, once the stock has been trimmed sufficiently, attach a block of wood in the stock cavity and attach a regular, aftermarket buttpad.

Basic Member
    yep, broke my tab off too, wound up using JB weld to putty it up and sand down after i filled the stock with some shot and foam. can't tell there was a tab there anymore.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    I did this, using a hacksaw to remove and inch and half and then cleaned it up with some sandpaper. Looking back it would have been easier to use a Mitre Saw/Band Saw but I didn't have either at the time. Since I wasn't able to to reuse the factory buttpad I added a 1/2 wood insert and epoxied it in then covered with a 1/2 Limbsaver recoil pad and it works just fine.

You will have to re-tap along the bottom of the buttstock if you want to have a sling swivel stud. I didn't do this , but if I had to again I would use a piece of wood epoxied inside the butt stock and then drill a small pilot hole and simply screw the swivel stud into that.

A better solution might be to, once the stock has been trimmed sufficiently, attach a block of wood in the stock cavity and attach a regular, aftermarket buttpad.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Reeseman
    Instead of shortening the stock just put a scope rail on it and you can adjust to your desired eye relief with any scope you desire . As for the broken tab on the top I have broken one before . I dremeled out a notch in the top inner rounded spot where the original tab broke off and cut a thick piece of hard plastic from an old pill bottle and epoxied it in place . Let it set up for 24 hours and drilled down thru the center of the existing square hole in the stock into the epoxied piece of plastic I attached to the top of the butt pad . Found a small button head self tapping screw at Ace hardware that covered the square hole and gently tightened it down . It sits flush and looks like it belongs there and has been in place for over 2 years .Did the same for my nephew a couple months ago .

All 3 of my Edge - Axis rifles are very budget limited , but all wear an EGW scope rail that makes scope mounting a breeze and versatile . Best money I have spent on them .
    Last edited by Reeseman; 12-15-2015 at 05:30 PM.