Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Budget Stevens 200 build

bennettk90

Budget Stevens 200 build

Hey guys this is my first attempt at a long range rifle build. I am not new to rifle building however. i have sucessfully built a saiga .223 from stock into a tacticool rifle, and i have built an ar15. I enjoy the build process almost as much as i love shooting them. i will be posting pics as i go and i am already a few steps into the build process. first here are a few pics of my other two builds, just to give you an idea.

del ton lower and bcm upper and barrel

Last edited by bennettk90; 03-07-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add photos

bennettk90

my new stevens 200 .308 base model.

here she is bone stock and ready to rock

made a bolt extension by drilling into the bolt handle tapping and inserting a 1" 1/4-20 set screw into the end of the knob.
    i then made a stainless steel knob, drilled and tapped it for 1/4 20 and contoured it to fit around the existing ball by using a ball end mill bit. engraved an anarchy sign on the end and painted it red.

bennettk90
    iron sighter top rail, stole my scope from the ar15 (will get a better one later).

next step. i hated the idea of a plastic trigger guard so i decided to make a new one.
    grabbed a scrap piece of stainless and started cutting. first step, measure the mounting holes and pocket contour. drill holes first and then cut the curves for the stock pocket.

i then copied the inner trigger pocket and top contour. checked the clearances and drill holes. all good to proceed. cut the finger hole and cut the rest of the metal out.

basic contour and shape designing.

after sanding and polishing.

bennettk90

waiting

now all i have to do is wait for my er shaw barrel (june 2013) and my stockade woodchuck (july) to arrive. this is going to drive me insane.

Nice metal fabrication work!! Must be nice to have the right tools to do the job..

bennettk90
    thanks. i have been having extra fun with this one.
    i am learning new things every time. (amateur hobbyist/metal work).
    i am also in the process of building a forge to play with knife making.
    Last edited by bennettk90; 03-07-2013 at 12:05 PM.

That trigger gaurd is one of the best homemade mods I've seen. Nice work!
    Last edited by 03mossy; 03-07-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: I spell like a 1st grader and am even worse at proof reading.

bennettk90
    Thanks. I made the hole larger so a gloved trigger finger will fit. I may have to actually paint it black if i intend to go hunting with it

rattfink
    The trigger guard is definitely a very cool touch.

bennettk90
    well i just got news that my barrel is discontinued through midway. blessing in disguise really because i am now looking into the criterion barrels.

soaxin
    I'm very interested in this build. I too I'm on a budget stevens build. I love to see people coming up with their own ideas and fabricating parts. To me it is art. Nice job!

bennettk90
    definitely gonna go with criterion. the reviews are totally positive. once i get my barrel and stock. the squirrels better watch out.

bennettk90
    heyl]
    Last edited by bennettk90; 05-07-2013 at 11:28 AM.

bennettk90
    hey guys if you want a budget bi pod. check out the champion 9-13" bi pod on amazon. i have read only good things about this brand of bi pods. it actually has a spot to mount a sling mount to it. nice. doesn't have preset lengths but it has thumb wheels to lock in the desired length in mid lengths, good for un-level ground. spring retract legs (push button). nice set up.

bennettk90
    bought a new Redfield revenge 4x12x42 accuranger varmint scope. i like it a lot. crisp image and the eye relief is awesome. the scope sits nice and low too, just had to get some low scope rings. not much room for scope adjustment (forward and back) due to the limitations of the cut out on the scope rail i have on the rifle. however the scope fits and luckily it is in the sweet spot for the eye relief. NICE!. only paid 190 and got a $40 rebate through dicks. found a 15% off coupon for dicks as well. all in all around $150 for a great scope.
    Last edited by thomae; 06-13-2013 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Deliberately "dodging" the bad-word filter (i.e. using @$$ or a-hole)

bennettk90

Last edited by bennettk90; 06-09-2013 at 02:58 PM.

rt07
    That trigger guard came out awesome.

Basic Member
    hey what tools did you use for the trigger gaurd? i think i could do the same with a few tools i have.

stangfish
    Your going to get along just fine here. . I like your personal touch. But that moderator will burn you for some of your creative verbage.
    Last edited by thomae; 06-13-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Reason: Lamely "dodging" the bad-word filter (i.e. using British English bad-words instead of American bad-words) ☺

bennettk90
    i used a friends mill machine so...kinda cheated.. however..i have done some amazing things with a drill press, belt sander, die grinder and a dremel. the hardest part to accomplish without a Bridgeport would be the inside pocket. hollowing out the cavity for the trigger and getting all of the clearances good enough to safely fire the rifle. the only other thing that is important is the holes and counter bore for the action screws since they can screw with your accuracy. just make sure the drill holes are straight, the top fits in the mounting pocket(shaped with a belt sander btw) and the styling is really just hack and slash. if i had been making it without a mill i would have prob. used aluminum. cut the action screw holes first to make sure they are straight while the block is square and build around that.

bennettk90
    oh yeah. sorry for the language. didn't even think about it.

bennettk90
    i'll post a pic of the drawing i made with the measurements.

bennettk90
    here's my first attempt at sponge camo. figure i'd try it out on my factory stock before i paint the new one from stockade i hope to receive soon.

stangfish
    Thanks for letting us follow your build. I never think to take pictures and document that but I always enjoy it when someone does it! Put it together and lets see it.

Mate!

That is an awesome product!

That Trigger guard is sweeeeet!! Nice work... You might get orders coming in...

Did you see the Stock on the Axis build in the articles.. looks nice but there is a wait which is not nice!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast