Thread: Need advice on a magnum rifle action (stagger feed vs. center feed)

Basic Member

Need advice on a magnum rifle action (stagger feed vs. center feed)

I want to build a magnum (7mm or 300 Win) on a 110 action.
    I have heard it is best to get a LA center feed action because you can load to a longer OAL than with a stagger feed action. Is this true?
    If so, is there a way to convert a center feed action to use a blind magazine/stock?
    I have a Bell & Carlson Medalist Hunting Stock-Model 2980-02 that I want to use, but it is made for the stagger feed action.
    Thanks!

The centerfeed magazine will allow a slightly longer COAL. Modifying a staggerfeed stock to use centerfeed blind mags is a matter of simply filling the stock some to hold the magazine, and a little inletting to hold the retainer clip that keeps the magazine in the stock. I did my 6x55 in about an hour, using Devcon 10120, and used a Dremel to inlet for the l-clip.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    The centerfeed magazine will allow a slightly longer COAL. Modifying a staggerfeed stock to use centerfeed blind mags is a matter of simply filling the stock some to hold the magazine, and a little inletting to hold the retainer clip that keeps the magazine in the stock. I did my 6x55 in about an hour, using Devcon 10120, and used a Dremel to inlet for the l-clip.
    Thanks for the info. When you say slightly longer COAL, is it really going to be worth the extra effort if this is a hunting rifle? I should still be able to run 200gr.-220gr. conventional bullets if I so desire without any issues with the staggered feed action, correct?

That's correct, with the right bullet. VLD style bullets will be seated too deep to touch the lands most likely, but YMMV.
    To me, it's worth the extra effort.
    Im running the 180 Accubond in my 300 WinMag on a staggerfeed 116FLSAK and I'm at max COAL for the mag length, but my jump to the lands is acceptable and my accuracy is top notch, right at 1.25 at 400 yards.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    That's correct, with the right bullet. VLD style bullets will be seated too deep to touch the lands most likely, but YMMV.
    To me, it's worth the extra effort.
    Im running the 180 Accubond in my 300 WinMag on a staggerfeed 116FLSAK and I'm at max COAL for the mag length, but my jump to the lands is acceptable and my accuracy is top notch, right at 1.25 at 400 yards.
    I built my .300 win mag on a S/F action but converted it to CDI/AI DBM. The blind mag will be you're limiting factor as I'm able to seat to the lands with a little room to spare.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    I measured it a few days ago, if I remember correctly it was around .040" difference

Basic Member
    I got 3.42 staggerfeed
    3.52 centerfeed