Thread: Hog hunter and Fcp-sr Muzzle brake

Basic Member

Hog hunter and Fcp-sr Muzzle brake

Does a muzzle brake effect accuracy.. I am thinking about putting one on my Hog hunter and fcp-sr 308..
    What kind of muzzle brakes u guys use..

I have a Badger Ordinance brake on mine that came with the used barrel. Seems to work well, but it is hard to tell on a 308. I should pull it off sometime just to see how much of a difference it makes. Bear in mind that there are many "muzzle brakes" out there that are nothing more than a useless ornament to stick on the end of your barrel. When shopping, keep in mind how the brake actually works by direction some of the muzzle blast rearward and upward to counter the effect of the recoil. Action/reaction stuff.

Basic Member
    Muzzle brakes work off of gas pressure, so naturally, muzzle brakes generally work better with higher pressure rounds. With a .308 you probably won't notice much difference between using one and not using one, though there might be a slight reduction in felt recoil.

Badger Ordnance, American Precision Arms, JP Enterprises, etc. all make nice thread-on brakes.
    Then you have clamp-on brakes from Witt Machine, Kahntrol Solutions, etc.

The clamp-on brakes are hit or miss in my experience, and it's always more beneficial to have the barrel threaded/brake indexed to the barrel, but any brake that you put on it will have similar effects on lesser pressure rounds such as the .308. Accuracy, generally speaking, isn't affected too much by using a brake vs. not using one, although you may experience slight POI shifts. Zero/consistency should remain the same though.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    I use a Miculek brake on my FCP-SR. The amount of recoil reduction is negligible. Regarding accuracy, I shot with the brake for the first time yesterday and also shot two of the best groups of my life. I do not think mine affects accuracy at all, but will probably take it off to shoot NRA sanctioned matches in the future.
    Last edited by Front Royalty; 12-17-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Spelling