Thread: Rechamber a Savage barrel?

GrumpyGuns

Rechamber a Savage barrel?

Got a question for you all. What is involved in rechambering a factory barrel? Currently my Stevens is a 223 without swapping the barrel how difficult would it be to ream it to 223ai? Would I need to have a thread or 2 cut off or would I be able to ream it and still get the headspace right without any other hassle?

LongRange
    A smith could easily do that but why would you not just buy a prefit chambered in 223AI?

GrumpyGuns
    A new barrel is on the wish list. Just was curious what was involved on a straight rechamber.

LongRange
    Depending on the smith $100 to $250 bucks but i wouldnt waste the money on a factory barrel id save and buy a nice prefit.

dpollard
    I just ordered a Criterion 22-250 AI for $329 to my door. I wouldn't mess with recahmbering. Save your money and buy a quality pre-fit IMHO.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGuns View Post
    Got a question for you all. What is involved in rechambering a factory barrel? Currently my Stevens is a 223 without swapping the barrel how difficult would it be to ream it to 223ai? Would I need to have a thread or 2 cut off or would I be able to ream it and still get the headspace right without any other hassle?
    It's doable, but a gunsmith would likely charge a good portion of what a new replacement barrel would cost for the service.

GrumpyGuns
    Fair enough gents. Will be bumping the new barrel to the top of the list after the holidays. Thanks again.

Realizin you may never return to read this...you could sell your current barrel for about 70 dollars or more on this or another forum to help offset the cost of the new one.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

One thread (.050") is usually turned off the barrel and then rechambered when doing an AI conversion.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Depending on the smith $100 to $250 bucks but i wouldnt waste the money on a factory barrel id save and buy a nice prefit.
    If your factory barrel has a history of being a tack driver, I'd do It. If so so accuracy, go after market barrel.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

GrumpyGuns
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Realizin you may never return to read this...you could sell your current barrel for about 70 dollars or more on this or another forum to help offset the cost of the new one.
    I probably couldn't get that much for it as I cut it back to 18" awhile back. No big deal though keeping the old barrel just gives me more options lol. The funniest part is I have had this rifle for 8 years and I have been trying to rebarrel it from the get go but every time I get ready to push the button I fall in love with a different chambering haha.

Basic Member
    IMHO going to an 223AI with an 18" barrel from anyone is a waste of money. The powder needs a barrel to burn in. I seriously doubt MOST powders would be fully burned from a standard 223 in an 18" barrel. Short barrels have their use, but gaining velocity isn't usually one of them.