Thread: $1k budget

tngunaddict

$1k budget

Ok gents, I've set back $1,000 for a riflescope. Must have 32x magnification or higher, 1/8" moa click value, fine crosshair reticle, and side focus. This scope will be used for 600-1250 yard target shooting ONLY. As of now I'm leaning toward the Sightron SIIIss 10-50x60. Opinions, suggestions, rants, raves, and real-life experience welcome. Best options for my budget, GO!

Basic Member
    Several threads pending on scopes in that price range now on this site. A search for some in the optics thread should help you. Sightron will serve you well

tngunaddict
    Please excuse my ignorance, as I'm new to the group and haven't quite learned all the features.

Basic Member
    Sorry hope I didn't sound rude on that lol there's a pretty decent thread on the optics between swfa and vortex viper. Give you an idea on some decent brands in that price range

Basic Member
    Sightron would get my vote. If the shooting is a known distance, I would stick the SFP scopes which will save you some money.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

tngunaddict
    Not at all hafejd! My fault entirely.

Basic Member
    My experiences with sightron has been good
    I have an 8-32 and a 6x24 SSlll
    For my shooting, magnification is usually 20x or below due to mirage (and the fact that I can't read mirage LOL)
    I hope this helps
    Jack

Basic Member
    I would be a little iffy on those magnification levels in that price range... It's usually a pretty safe bet that the (cheaper?) manufacturers don't have great clarity beyond 32x max. If you're wanting usable magnification in the 32-50x range, you'll need to look at increasing your spending limits around 3x more than what it is currently. Otherwise, stick in that 24-32 range, as you'll still have plenty of power to see out to 1,200 yards.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    I shoot out to 1200 with my 6-24x50 Sightron SIII's. The 8-32x would work great for target shooting,I'd have to pass on a 10-50x scope. The mirage at distance would make the scope useless most of the time.
    I've got five of the 6-24x SIII's,and they serve me very well. IMO,The Sightron SIII is a much better made scope than the Vortex PST,it just doesn't have as many bells & whistles.

Basic Member
    The 10-50 won't have the elevation adjustment you want either for long range. The 8-32 has 70 moa, the 6-24 has 100.

Basic Member
    The best sub $1000 scope is the New-In-Box $1200 or $1300 scope that somebody has to sell. I recently got one because a guy's wife got pregnant before he had a chance to use his new scope. I also got a lightly used $1500 scope for less than $1000 with a set of rings and base as part of the deal.

Best actual able to buy and not pay someone is going bankrupt, sub-$1,000 scope?
    Weaver Tactical 3-15 FFP Mil/Mil.

But since that doesn't fit your requirements
    The trouble you are going to have, is with dark glass. That high magnification isn't easy to stay bright, with a cheap scope.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

tngunaddict
    Txhillbilly, the 8-32x magnification SIII isn't offered with 1/8" click value.

Mozella, you're lucky! All these idiots around here sell at premium prices on Facebook.

Darkker, thanks for letting me in the loop. I wasn't aware that the SIII line was considered a "cheap" scope. I think I'll just go out and get the NF BEAST so I can be the coolest guy at the matches.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tngunaddict View Post
    Txhillbilly, the 8-32x magnification SIII isn't offered with 1/8" click value.
    Maybe you need to call Sightron up and tell them they are selling a scope that isn't made. http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes...32X56LRTD-TDT/
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

tngunaddict
    I won't waste my time on a "cheap" scope. I ordered a Nightforce last night. Btw earl, that SIII DOESN'T HAVE A FINE CROSSHAIR.

LongRange
    please post up your thoughts when you get and have used the NF....what model did you get?

Basic Member
    Nope but a target dot that only covers 1inch at 800yards is by no means course
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

tngunaddict
    LR, I ordered the Benchrest 12-42x56 with np r2 reticle. I talked to 3 dealers and 2 reps. All 5 times I was assured that the turrets and glass are the same as that used on the NXS models. The big cost cutter is the lack of side focus, which was moved to the objective end. Shouldn't matter since I'll be making all shots at the same range every time I get the rifle out.

Basic Member
    deleted

Basic Member
    http://custom-shop.sightron.com/ A little homework always helps. Sightron has a custom shop for the Slll scopes so the "Fine crosshair" can be had on any of the Slll longrang scopes you wish. Just a little FYI in case someone else reads this thread and wants one.
    I won't waste my time on a "cheap" scope. I ordered a Nightforce last night. Btw earl, that SIII DOESN'T HAVE A FINE CROSSHAIR.

Basic Member
    Nope,Earl posted the wrong scope.
    Here's the Fine Crosshair Sightron SIII 8-32 scope! And I didn't read/know you wanted a 1/8 moa turret scope.

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes...SS832X56LRFCH/

I'm not really plugged into this world and have only become interested in higher magnification scopes recently. What about the Weaver T36? I know it lacks the side focus listed by the OP, but is it a viable long range target scope? A smallish objective and tube makes me think otherwise compared to some of the big stuff already mentioned.

Basic Member
    Just because the knob is on the side it still serves the same function. That being to adjust the parralex, same as does those scopes
    having that adjustment on the front of the objective bell. Lots of people use it to make the scope clearer without actually checking
    for parralex. In that regard the old style is better in my opinion as most people dont play with it as much.