Thread: Savage 220 Feeding Problems

bflem55

Savage 220 Feeding Problems

I have a Savage 220 bolt action shotgun that I have been using for the past 2 hunting seasons. This has happened to me both seasons I shoot 1 shot go to eject the round and sometimes it comes out and sometimes it doesn't. When the next round goes to feed it literally gets jammed so bad in the gun that I have to take my leather-man and tap the round out of the receiver. Has anyone else had this problem? what can a gunsmith due to fix this is there anyway to smooth up the action I love the accuracy of the gun but the action is so rough....

I am new to the forum cant wait to discuss and get to know everyone thanks

bflem55
    Bump

Does it happen with just one brand/type of ammo or any/all types? First recommendation I'd have would be to try polishing the chamber to see if that solves it. Easy enough to do with some metal polish (flitz, mother's, whatever) and a bore mop on a short section of cleaning rod in a drill.

Only other thing that comes to mind would be a weak or dull extractor that isn't getting a good bite on the lip of the shell to extract it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I heard they had early issues with the 220 as mentioned, but not sure what was done to fix it or when. Two of my buddies have 220s without any complaint, and I just bought my first one, waiting for nicer weather to try it out.
    - 1raggedhole76
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1raggedhole76 View Post
    I heard they had early issues with the 220 as mentioned, but not sure what was done to fix it or when. Two of my buddies have 220s without any complaint, and I just bought my first one, waiting for nicer weather to try it out.
    Can't say I've experienced any such issues in the two I have reviewed, one of which was from the very first batch to leave the factory. Both fed, extracted and ejected just fine. I also have four friends who own 220's and none of them have reported having any problems with theirs to date. A bad one can and will slip through every now and then on any mass production product.

Back to the original question...

Make sure when you're working the bolt to eject the spent shell that you work it fast and hard. More often than not, extraction/ejection issues are a result of babying the bolt. The rim of the shell is held by a small claw, and the ejector spring is constantly pushing on it trying to flip it out while pulling the bolt back. The faster you do it the less time the shell has to slip out from under the extractor claw due to the force of the ejector spring.

The other thing I would check for would be any burrs or sharp edges on the inside of the ejection port that might be snagging on the plastic hull when it goes to eject.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Can't say I've experienced any such issues in the two I have reviewed, one of which was from the very first batch to leave the factory. Both fed, extracted and ejected just fine. I also have four friends who own 220's and none of them have reported having any problems with theirs to date. A bad one can and will slip through every now and then on any mass production product.

Back to the original question...

Make sure when you're working the bolt to eject the spent shell that you work it fast and hard. More often than not, extraction/ejection issues are a result of babying the bolt. The rim of the shell is held by a small claw, and the ejector spring is constantly pushing on it trying to flip it out while pulling the bolt back. The faster you do it the less time the shell has to slip out from under the extractor claw due to the force of the ejector spring.

The other thing I would check for would be any burrs or sharp edges on the inside of the ejection port that might be snagging on the plastic hull when it goes to eject.
    +1 I've seen the same thing. Work that bolt hard and fast.
    Be careful of what you wish for, and always be mindful of what others are trying to accomplish