Thread: Savage 10 FCP and 7.62 NATO

leonoe

Savage 10 FCP and 7.62 NATO

Hi all, new to the forum and new to Savage rifles... Just picked up a Savage 10 FCP HS Precision and looking to get experiences from other Savage owners who have used surplus ammo. I have no delusions that I will be able to shoot sub-MOA with surplus nor do I plan to shoot long distances with it... I will use match ammo for that. Yes, I've heard the 'how do you know if its you or the ammo...' discussions and agree that I wouldn't know.

Why I am considering surplus ammo:
    - Barrel break in
    - Familiarize myself with my new rifle
    - Form practice
    - Plinking at short distances (100 yds)

For those Savage 10 FCP owners who have used surplus (7.62 NATO), I'd be interested in hearing your experiences (good and bad) and whether to stay away from any particular make/country of surplus ammo. I'm also interested in particular with folks who have used the German DAG (Dynamite Nobel) 7.62 and thoughts on the copper/nickel jacketed bullet - its harder than copper so wondering if that causes faster barrel wear and the effects of nickel fouling (if any)... Thanks!

Basic Member

Re: Savage 10 FCP and 7.62 NATO

leonoe,
    Some years ago I bought several hundred rounds of surplus Korean ammo and shoot it in my Ruger 308. It works real well for what I use it far. This batch of ammo was manufactured in 1980. I have had no problems at all. In fact I just took a shot with it yesterday afternoon.

I did buy some 30/06 of the same brand and on the 4th shot the head of the case split from the primer out to the edge and about 3/4 inch up the case side. The magazine floor plate blew open from the force of the escaping gas. There was no damage to me or the rifle.

I realize that this type of accident can happen ever time that we pull the trigger on any round and that is why that I wear safety glasses at ALL time while shooting.

Regards, Keith

Basic Member

Some things I would consider before shooting surpluss brass. How old is the ammunition. Older rounds shoot hotter than rounds reloaded a few days ago.
    Most surplus ammunition is corrosive to your barrel. If you plan on making a switch barrel rifle and just want some practice on your rifle, go ahead. Shoot a few rounds, clean your rifle.
    My opinion, You have a nice rifle, run good amunition through it. If you want some practice on your rifle, load some cheap bullets to shoot like 30 cal 110 grain round nose. They don't kick much, are fairly accurate, and fun to shoot.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

leonoe

Thanks guys for the feedback.. I agree about shooting corrosive and want to stay away. As cheap as they are (20/$7 locally), that is not worth the risk. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a bolt action and I will not be shooting 100 rds at the range like my AR or handguns.

How's the PPU (Prvi Partizan) .308, 145gr for practice and plinking? If folks have experience with it...

Eric in NC

Not much corrosive 308 surplus out there at all. And I don't agree with it getting hotter as it ages (depends on how it was stored, the components etc.) but that is beside the point.

The main thing to think about is where it comes from - if it is a place where life is cheap and QC doesnt exist, stay away (Pakistan etc.). If it is from a place where there is QC or is NATO ammo (USGI, British, German, Aussie, etc.) then you won't have any problems.

Corrosive ammo in a bolt gun isn't a big problem anyway (as long as you clean appropriately). The mere act of shooting corrosive ammo won't harm the bore at all!

All that being said, spending that much on a rifle and running cheap ammo through it is about the same as mounting a Barska or BSA scope on it!

Basic Member

The Korean ammo is not corrosive. I don't believe that any 7.62 ammo was ever made that was corrosive. The 7.62 that I have is in very good condition. What I use it for is on my daily walks. It's for killing coyotes and shooting at rocks from unknown distances and field positions, mostly prone. It's not for going to the "range" and shooting small groups. I do not need match grade ammo for this kind of service.
    Regards, Keith

leonoe

Good to hear that anything NATO is 'ok' and agree with Keith about use of surplus ammo... my intentions of using surplus is not to test my capabilities to shoot groups.

Speaking of scopes, I do not think its released yet but has anyone seen or used the Vortex Viper PST FFP scopes? Sub $1k and looks good on paper... Matching reticle/turrets, FFP, illuminated reticle, etc. This is the only thing I found but reads like it has good potential - http://mars-aws.com/node/39

Eric in NC

BTW I meant actually produced FOR NATO by a NATO country - there is Indian, Pakastani, etc. sold at 7.62 NATO that I would run from (it is the 7.62 NATO cartridge but not "NATO" ammo).

Hope that is clear.

leonoe

Good clarification on NATO - thanks!

At $7-8 a box why not reload, you can make taylor made to your gun for that price.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

What barrel twist do you have a 1/10 twist is about right for this NATO ammo, my self have a can of NATO M118 LC (173 gr. bullet) that shoots very well in my 308 F/TR 1/12 twist but should shoot much better in my new rifle a Choate Tactical 308 (1/10 Twist)

leonoe

Yup 1/10" twist, 24" heavy barrel... should be able to stabilize the heavier loads from what I'm told.

I have shot 60 rounds of the Pravi Partizan 150 grain soft points, and they were pretty accurate averaging .75 at 100 yards. The only downfall I found was that about 10 shells out 60 the primers loosend, some fell completly out upon ejection. I recomend 150gr winchester super-X, because they are even more accurate and you will be collecting some exellant brass for future reloading. I have never had any problems with cases or primers with winchester or federal. P.S. you made a wise choice owning a Savage you will definatly fall in love with it if you haven't allready.

Dan
    There really is an excuse for everything!

eight_heads

I just recently broke my new FLCP-K in with some LC '85 Linked machine gun ammo. It didn't group all that great(about 1.5") but did break the barrel in nicely. Now it's shooting 1/2" groups consistently with 175gr SMK's and Varget in that LC brass.

Wtex

Have a Ruger 308 that I've shot plenty of surplus through. The British (Radway Green/RG) is very good, the
    Portugese is suppose to be good, have only shot a little. The U.S. surplus is great but haven't found any
    in a long time. South African is suppose to be very good. AIM Surplus has a good supply of 308/7.62 right now
    and did have some Belgian FN until recently, J&G still has some Belgian but only available in large amount, seems like
    1000 rds or so. All of this is non corrosive. You can still find some S&B/Czech corrosive around but it is not much
    cheaper than the rest so not worth the extra hassel.