Thread: how many of you guys...

LongRange

how many of you guys...

shoot with both eyes opened when looking through your scope?

Basic Member
    Probably more useful shooting trap then anything. Being right handed left eye dominate probably makes it easier since I'm doing it wrong to begin with.

Basic Member
    I do, for the most part, particularly when using a level / ant-cant device.

I shoot my bow and pistols both eyes open but have not been able to transition to shooting both eyes open with a scope.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by sixonetonoffun View Post
    Probably more useful shooting trap then anything. Being right handed left eye dominate probably makes it easier since I'm doing it wrong to begin with.
    Nope you're doing it right and everyone else is doing it wrong.
    Just think about the science and advantage behind holding the rifle forearm and muzzle (heavy part) which has to be steady with your strong arm looking through the scope with your best eye and operating the bolt and trigger which dont require as much effort with your weak side.
    I'd say you have an advantage.
    I learned to shoot very young and still do it this way because when I learned to shoot I was too small to hold up the muzzle with my weak side :)
    Over the years I've come to realize what an advantage it really is.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

LongRange
    agree with BHJ.

ive always shot squinting...meaning i close my left eye while looking through the scope with my right eye...the last couple of months ive been practicing shooting with both eyes open...i watched some of the top shooters at the F-class matches this year as well as a few of our varmint matches and videos here and there and notice a lot if not all shooting with both eyes open...i asked what the deal was and was told that when shooting with one eye closed(squinting)the opened eye strains faster and that the opened eye muscle is straining to stay open because our eyes are use/trained to work in unison through blinking all day...made sense to me.

while watching tv a few months ago i thought about it and sat with one eye closed like i was looking through a scope and could feel my opened eye straining to stay open...i started practicing a couple of times a week in the evening by looking through my scope at a white wall in the house with both eyes open...and i will say it is not an easy transition to make...after i thought i got a little better at it i started doing it in the field and that was harder than in my room because there is so much going on and so much other stuff for my left eye to focus on.
    once i got a little better doing it in the field i starting shooting the first 5 to 10 rounds each time out practicing with both eyes open and it was hard staying in the eye box...id loose site of the target and have to readjust my check weld to find it again;

over the thanksgiving weekend i went out 3 of the 4 days and shot 20 rounds each day...the first day i lost site 8xs...second day 3xs...third day 0xs...yesterday i shot 25 rounds from 330yds to 850yds and only lost site 1 time but i was shooting an odd position(something else im working on)but i was still in the eye box.
    a few things ive noticed is that when i shoot with one eye no matter how hard i try my open eye blinks and if in an odd position i loose site long enough that i dont see the impact if im shooting less than 425yds or so...when i shoot with both eyes opened i dont blink at all...also i can lay looking through the scope for about 15mins straight with both eyes open before things start to go south compared to about 5mins with one eye.

Basic Member
    ^^^EXACTLY. I am able to stay relaxed and suffer less eye strain much longer when shooting with both eyes open. As a result, I have less tendency to shake, etc.

I also see more clearly. Similarly, I know from my experience shooting archery, if I hold my breath for more than a few seconds, my vision quality diminishes. Therefore, I resist the temptation to do so and simply try to breath normally.

LongRange
    exactly what i have found as well Foxx...maybe ill shoot better at the matches next year LOL!

another thing ive been playing with is bipod loading...if i load it lightly as apposed to a heavy load my shots are way more consistent and im guessing because it reduces the the chances of muscling the butt with my shoulder.

Basic Member
    I think you are right. Again, I keep going back to archery 'cuz that's what I know best and competed well for some years. The best target archers relax their muscles and use their bone structure to hold their bows and their "draw/hold" as much as possible. The idea is a bow or rifle will shoot almost perfectly if the shooter does not influence it upon the release of the arrow or bullet. Of course, this is much more critical in archery because the arrow is so much slower and therefore there is a lot more time for the shooter to "influence" the bow before the arrow has left the bow. I gotta believe it's true with rifle, too. When you hold the rifle tightly in your grasp, you are imparting stress along multiple lines and angles. The stress is inconsistent so your shots are inconsistent. Just like the need for a stress free bedding job, your hold must also be stress free. When loading up your bipod, you are imposing inconsistent stress. I suppose if you use good, consistent form and are very strong and well coordinated, and well practiced, you have a better chance of getting away with it. But to do so effectively for 10, 20, 30, or 100 shots, I don't think you can. The trick is to find out what you can do well and do so consistently.

Basic Member
    I decided when I was 13 or 14 to learn to shoot with both eyes open no matter the firearm or optic choice. I don't remember ever straining my eyes. I do it so I don't loose my peripheral eyesight, and it helps me find and acquire targets faster with both eyes open.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I think you are right. Again, I keep going back to archery 'cuz that's what I know best and competed well for some years. The best target archers relax their muscles and use their bone structure to hold their bows and their "draw/hold" as much as possible. The idea is a bow or rifle will shoot almost perfectly if the shooter does not influence it upon the release of the arrow or bullet. Of course, this is much more critical in archery because the arrow is so much slower and therefore there is a lot more time for the shooter to "influence" the bow before the arrow has left the bow. I gotta believe it's true with rifle, too. When you hold the rifle tightly in your grasp, you are imparting stress along multiple lines and angles. The stress is inconsistent so your shots are inconsistent. Just like the need for a stress free bedding job, your hold must also be stress free. When loading up your bipod, you are imposing inconsistent stress. I suppose if you use good, consistent form and are very strong and well coordinated, and well practiced, you have a better chance of getting away with it. But to do so effectively for 10, 20, 30, or 100 shots, I don't think you can. The trick is to find out what you can do well and do so consistently.
    exactly what im finding...basically with a lighter hold i am getting more consistent shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    I decided when I was 13 or 14 to learn to shoot with both eyes open no matter the firearm or optic choice. I don't remember ever straining my eyes. I do it so I don't loose my peripheral eyesight, and it helps me find and acquire targets faster with both eyes open.
    i am finding the same thing...i recently shot pistol with a buddy that use to shoot comp and with his help and tips i went from putting 8-10 outta 17 on at 15yds to putting 14 to 17 on in about an hour...makes me want to shoot my 9mm again LOL.

Basic Member
    I've always shot both eyes open as well. I don't really think about it anymore. As far as bipod loading it depends on the shooting position.

The Accu Tac SR5 bipod does not need a heavy load at all.

LongRange
    I dont think any bipod needs a heavy load after i broke my harris lol...remember i told you i had some things i needed to work on? Well its all coming together now...lm expecting a good season next year.

Basic Member
    Good! It's fun when everything is working, but I kind of get bored with everything working all the time lol.

LongRange
    Well you know i do...ive got a short attention span... thats why im putting a 260AI together...should keep me busy for a couple of weeks anyway...

Basic Member
    I shoot with both eyes open regardless of what I'm shooting... Rifle, trap, handgun, whatever. It was always more natural for me but also is handy in keeping an eye on your cant levels.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

both open when shooting, more so when shooting service rifle. I use a blank eye piece,

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/produ...Eye-Protection

it is semi opaque,
    newbie from gr, mi.

LongRange
    interesting...i may have to look into something like that.

Basic Member
    Just keep practicing. Focus on your reticle and putting it on your target. It will become more natural every time you get behind the rifle. If you train with aids then you'll always need the aids assistance.

If you close your support side eye for just a second then let it relax back open it will help your brain to focus on the picture you want to see. Say close support side eye while breathing in and let it relax open while breathing out to your natural pause.

Make it part of your preshot routine. If you can make it out for a weekend for the Pala match we could go practice and get you familiarized with the range before the Sunday match.

I'm all about minimal aids when it comes to shooting because there's less things to screw up your mental game if you happen to forget your aid one day.

LongRange
    ive been practicing at the house every other evening and ive pretty much got it down now...i can drop from a standing position get behind my rifle..set my check weld..open my eyes and 8 outta 10 times im perfectly in the eye box...i need to move my butt stock forward about a 1/2" and i think ill been golden.

im still planning to make it down after the first of the year...i got a fat christmas bonus but im paying off bills first...tired of bills!!

Basic Member
    I hear ya on that LR.

I have tried both eyes, but always coming to closing eye.
    USAF/RET 1966-1990
    Aim High

LongRange
    it took me about 2-3 months of practicing to get use to both eyes open and im still not a 100% but real close...at this point i think a 1/2" to 1" shorter on my LOP and ill be dialed which im going out to adjust today.
    i can say shooting with both eyes open has help me a lot with several things.