Thread: Axis vs. 111

Team Savage

Axis vs. 111

how do these two models compare as to QUALITY

Basic Member
    Hard to say. Personally, I much prefer the 10/110 series because you can upgrade them with the finest aftermarket triggers and multitude of aftermarket stocks. THe Axis magazine is really cheap, in my opinion, and there are no alternatives. The stock is worse than the worst 10/110 stocks (too short and weak in the pistol grip). I have also put them in laminate wood stocks from Boyds and it made a big difference.

Having said that, they shoot well. I have reworked the triggers quite often and, afterwards, are decent for hunting.

I like the 110's for their versatility and trigger but I like the Axis receiver a bit better. Both my Axis 223's shoot great with the standard stock but I also have a Boyd's for them.

Basic Member
    I'll say this...

For $300 after a $50 factory rebate now thru the end of the year, there isn't much wrong with the Axis I could not learn to fix.

Basic Member
    You can even find the standard Axis models for $249.00 at a few places.

rfd12fv
    with a few mods that i deemed required, and decent glass, the axis heavy barrel was clearly the better buy than the 111, for me.

i like the axis better than any other savage bolt centerfire offering, for my needs. it all depends on a balance/compromise of yer wants, needs, requirements, and disposable cash. i longbow hunt exclusively, so my shooting is strictly for target fun, and my main long guns are bpcr long range rolling blocks, and flintlock rifles/smoothbores. i wanted to add in a lazy man's white powder rifle that has accuracy potential at a rock bottom price point and hand's down that's been the axis for me. the tupperware stock is a non-issue when it's been modded with rockite fore and aft. a timney or basix trigger makes fixes that better than an accu-trigger. there were other mods, but fixing the stock and trigger were absolutely key for me. it's all personal, compare a number of rifles against your wants/need list and then make a better decision where yer dollars go.

Basic Member
    As much as I like the Axis, have to believe the Cabela's 12FV at $379.00 is the best value at the moment.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    +1 ALWAYS! but is it still on sale?

$419 is still the best deal, regardless.

rfd12fv
    i still have a soft spot for the venerable rfd12fv, couldn't y'all tell?

Basic Member
    Is the 12FV available left handed, and is it detachable box or no?
    “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas Edison

Blind magazine. I've never seen a lefty version, but I don't go around looking for them!

Well, 111 Lady Hunter LA is an Accutrigger with a bottom/triggerguard bolt release metal(plastic) - so it can NOT use line up of triggers without modifying it...

I have an axis with accutrigger ,boyds thumbhole stock, and a 10rnd mag from darkeagle...man ohhhmann is the factory mag a POS .Im looking to upgrade the barrel and tru the action and bolt any suggestions on Barrel choice? i bought this rifle for just over $200 with employee discount and rebate.I absolutely love it.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787​

tried to teach my son how to load the blind magazine in a stevens 200. the experiment failed and he yelled for his remmy 710s that are still in the state of montana lol

Quote Originally Posted by 3Percent View Post
    I have an axis with accutrigger ,boyds thumbhole stock, and a 10rnd mag from darkeagle...man ohhhmann is the factory mag a POS .Im looking to upgrade the barrel and tru the action and bolt any suggestions on Barrel choice? i bought this rifle for just over $200 with employee discount and rebate.I absolutely love it.
    We are fortunate to have our forum supported by many talented barrel makers and barrel retailers. What are your needs?