Thread: Heavy Barrel for savage Target action

Basic Member

Heavy Barrel for savage Target action

Hi Everyone, Only new to the forum as I just put money down on a LRPV 1:9 22-250 so thought I would join and have a read. The reason for the purchase is to build a rifle for f-class and the odd LR BR. I will be getting a 6.5x55AI chambered barrel for it as well as I have the reamer, dies etc ready to go.

I actually purchased a heavy 30" 1.450 barrel before deciding on the savage as the basis for the rifle. Its still in transit, I am thinking this will be way too heavy a barrel to run on the savage, but for the price it was too good to pass up. I figured my options were to re-profile this barrel which everyone has differing opinions on, some say it will wreck a barrel other people that I know have experience with re-profiling say its fine so not real sure what to do or I just sell it and it will cover the cost of another more suitable barrel.

Here in Australia we don't have the luxury of easy to obtain savage swap out barrels so any new barrel is going to have to be threaded really. Although a set of Brux barrels from SSS would be nice I don't think anyone in AU imports these for us.

So I figure it will be a Heavy varmint contour in the end.

Ryan

Re: Heavy Barrel for savage Target action

Quote Originally Posted by stinkitup
    I figured my options were to re-profile this barrel which everyone has differing opinions on, some say it will wreck a barrel other people that I know have experience with re-profiling say its fine so not real sure what to do or I just sell it and it will cover the cost of another more suitable barrel.
    Ryan
    if done right, there is no problem changing the profile. they all started life as straight tubes and were contoured once. nothing wrong with doing it again. the weight of the barrel will not hurt the savage action.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Hmm this is what I figured, as I believe they are mostly rough contoured before being rifled and then tidied up to the correct contour during finishing. I take it between centers on the lathe is how its done?
    Cheers
    Ryan

Basic Member

Are there any pictures around of rifles built with heavy barrels on a savage action that retain the nut? I have read about one on 6mmbr but the pics I couldn't see a good close up of the action, nut barrel etc.
    Ryan

look in the picture section, there should be some.
    not that the point those 3 parts come together will look any different with a thin or thick barrel.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Not done yet, but here is the beginning of my 6brx nutless build. Starts as a 1.25" dia barrel and ends a little thinner.
    [img width=600 height=398]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0150.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=398]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0153.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=398]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0155.jpg[/img]

miker

Any plans for the 22-250 barell am looking for 1

Basic Member

I had thought of re-chambering to 22br but don't think I will. Will prob sell it but I am in Australia, just waiting on a few more things before I decide what to do with it yet. I have a martini that could do with a new barrel but I think it will be too heavy for it.
    Ryan

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by savageboy
    Not done yet, but here is the beginning of my 6brx nutless build. Starts as a 1.25" dia barrel and ends a little thinner.
    [img width=600 height=398]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0150.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=398]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0153.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=398]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0155.jpg[/img]
    pretty....

Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

Thanks, it has ended up being close in price to going with a custom action build. Not quite, but getting close. Hope it shoots as good as it looks!

Basic Member

Savageboy your 6brx is very nice and shiny, did you do the polishing yourself or someone else? I should try and pick up the LRPV this week and looks like my brother will take the barrel to fit to his vlp as its only a 1:14 or 12 as its a lefty and all he could get from the factory. Apparently Savage thinks southpaws don't wat a fast twist :D

Ryan

Basic Member

Thanks man. I am really looking forward to finishing the stock- SSS LRBR Rose/ brown/ black. w lots of coats of clear coat on it. Should really pop.
    I polished the barrel and had SSS do the action while he was Timing/ truing it and mounting the EVO trigger on it. His work was perfect.

Basic Member

Well done on the barrel, if only we had the gear available you guys do have in the states so easy it would be great. Although I have already factored in some SSS bits and pieces to the budget for the build and I may just pick up a stock as well. I like the offset Dog Tracker stock and the LRBR stock looks the goods as well. If it didn't require and export permit I would have a picked up a T&T action direct from SSS.

Any pics of your stock yet?

Basic Member

Im getting ready to seal it (for the 2nd time- messed up the 1st and had to sand it all down again). When its sealed I'll post the pics. It looks totally different sealed and shiney than not.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by savageboy
    Im getting ready to seal it (for the 2nd time- messed up the 1st and had to sand it all down again). When its sealed I'll post the pics. It looks totally different sealed and shiney than not.
    Bugger!

Look forward to the pics.

Basic Member

So is anyone running a heavy barrel 1.450 on their savage? Will be around 6Kg/13lb of barrel

People have said it should be fine, will remove the nut and just have the smith use a shoulder etc.

Ryan