Apologies if this subject has been beaten to death, but I'm getting ready to build my first Savage rifle as a Christmas present for my dad and I just wanted to clarify a few things. I've done a bunch of research that has lead me to believe one thing and then heard differently from others. I just want a definitive answer before I get too entrenched in this build process with parts that won't work together.

1) It is my understanding that there are 2 types of long actions - small and large shank. I know that standard magnum chamberings and below (.300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, etc.) can be built on small shank actions, and I believe that WSM chamberings and above (up to .338 Lapua) were built on the large shank actions. Is this correct?

2) This rifle will be chambered in .300 win mag and I've already purchased a small shank barrel for it. However, is there any difference between small shank magnum long actions (.300 wm) and small shank standard long actions (.270)? From everything that I've read, I am under the impression that there is no difference between the two other than the bolt head diameter. Is this correct?

I don't have the action for this rifle yet but I have everything else (barrel, stock, etc.), and I'm just wanting to make sure that I get it right the first time so I don't have to backpedal. I'm pretty sure that my understanding of both 1 and 2 are correct, but I have a buddy that said "make sure to get a magnum action," so I just wanted to be sure.

Any insight, experience, and opinions are welcome.

Thanks!