Thread: School me on Long Actions!

Basic Member

School me on Long Actions!

Apologies if this subject has been beaten to death, but I'm getting ready to build my first Savage rifle as a Christmas present for my dad and I just wanted to clarify a few things. I've done a bunch of research that has lead me to believe one thing and then heard differently from others. I just want a definitive answer before I get too entrenched in this build process with parts that won't work together.

1) It is my understanding that there are 2 types of long actions - small and large shank. I know that standard magnum chamberings and below (.300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, etc.) can be built on small shank actions, and I believe that WSM chamberings and above (up to .338 Lapua) were built on the large shank actions. Is this correct?

2) This rifle will be chambered in .300 win mag and I've already purchased a small shank barrel for it. However, is there any difference between small shank magnum long actions (.300 wm) and small shank standard long actions (.270)? From everything that I've read, I am under the impression that there is no difference between the two other than the bolt head diameter. Is this correct?

I don't have the action for this rifle yet but I have everything else (barrel, stock, etc.), and I'm just wanting to make sure that I get it right the first time so I don't have to backpedal. I'm pretty sure that my understanding of both 1 and 2 are correct, but I have a buddy that said "make sure to get a magnum action," so I just wanted to be sure.

Any insight, experience, and opinions are welcome.

Thanks!
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Team Savage
    As far as I know the bolt head is the only difference. I just completed a 300wm mag build using a standard 30-06 action. I bought a complete magnum bolt from midway. The rifle works great and I still have the non magnum bolt if I ever change my mind and want to go back.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bc160 View Post
    As far as I know the bolt head is the only difference. I just completed a 300wm mag build using a standard 30-06 action. I bought a complete magnum bolt from midway. The rifle works great and I still have the non magnum bolt if I ever change my mind and want to go back.
    That's what I thought. Getting a magnum bolt is certainly one option but it seems silly to get a completely new bolt assembly when swapping bolt heads is a fraction of the cost and takes all of 2 minutes.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

You are correct Winnie. The bolt head is the only difference. You're on the right track....keep us posted on the build.
    Just a side note. If the action you get is a standard cartridge, you may need to open up the magazine lips some to feed a mag cartridge. Its no biggie at all, just a little heads up.
    Hope this helps.
    Feel free to ask more if need be or PM if ya have any questions.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    You are correct Winnie. The bolt head is the only difference. You're on the right track....keep us posted on the build.
    Just a side note. If the action you get is a standard cartridge, you may need to open up the magazine lips some to feed a mag cartridge. Its no biggie at all, just a little heads up.
    Hope this helps.
    Feel free to ask more if need be or PM if ya have any questions.
    Scooter
    Much obliged, good sir.

I may wait to purchase an action towards the end or after hunting season to see if I might find one for cheaper. Otherwise, I'll be keeping an eye open at my local Cabela's and pawn shops. My dad wants to get into long range precision shooting, so I told him that I'd build him a good rifle to get him started. He almost bought a nice Model 12 BVSS in .308, but I convinced him that a mag would be much preferred out to 1,500 yards and beyond... told him bigger is better The build will be as follows:

- Savage 110/Stevens 200 LA chambered in .300 win mag
    - Apache 24" SS barrel, 1:10 twist, threaded 5/8x24
    - NSS machined recoil lug
    - Boyd's Stock inletted and pillar bedded by CDI
    - DCI bottom metal and mag
    - Trigger has yet to be decided and will depend on what action I can come up with
    - Muzzle brake to be determined

Basically, I'm looking to build a versatile LR rifle. One that will shoot factory ammo and handloads well, one that prints nice groups at 100 yards and shoots well out over longer distances. This will be my first top to bottom Savage build (I've done a few re-barrels), so I'm looking forward to the finished product. Will post updates as I receive parts and make progress.

Thanks again for the confirmation.

Basic Member
    Bought a heavily used 7mm mag. flatback/G series. in 7mm Mag. since then I got take off 270 Win and 30-06 barrels, and a fresh 7mm Mag barrel from Apache. All three feed fine from the blind, stagger feed magazine. In the case of a magnum round the lips may be relieved at the rear to accommodate the belt. gOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUILD.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    Bought a heavily used 7mm mag. flatback/G series. in 7mm Mag. since then I got take off 270 Win and 30-06 barrels, and a fresh 7mm Mag barrel from Apache. All three feed fine from the blind, stagger feed magazine. In the case of a magnum round the lips may be relieved at the rear to accommodate the belt. gOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUILD.
    I'll probably be staying with a newer/lightly used round back receiver. If I have to change bolt heads I will as I would prefer something a little newer/lightly used. Is there anything that you had to do to convert from staggered feed blind mag to centerfeed DBM? As scooter said, I've read that sometimes the feed lips need to be modified, but it really depends on what action I purchase.

Winnie, sounds like a nice build. Youll be happy with an Apache. barrel....hes does really good work!
    On the mag....you cant convert a SF to a CF. The receivers are actually different(the way the mag is held in place). You'll need a CF action to begin with since youre already doing a CDI setup.

Trigger: Ive got a rifle basix sav-1 in my 280AI and really like it. Im gonna be putting 2 more in my 2 upcoming builds. Reasonably priced, and easy to install. I think Dennis has some with free shipping right now in the sponsors section.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    CDI makes there bottom metal for a staggerfeed as well.
    +1 on the Sav-1 trigger

There is also the "short action" version of the 110 that has a shelf in the rear section of the receiver to accommodate short action chamberings. Avoid it for longer cartridge conversions.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

7mm Rem Mag would have been a little kinder to his shoulder for the 1K+ shooting.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Winnie, sounds like a nice build. Youll be happy with an Apache. barrel....hes does really good work!
    On the mag....you cant convert a SF to a CF. The receivers are actually different(the way the mag is held in place). You'll need a CF action to begin with since youre already doing a CDI setup.

Trigger: Ive got a rifle basix sav-1 in my 280AI and really like it. Im gonna be putting 2 more in my 2 upcoming builds. Reasonably priced, and easy to install. I think Dennis has some with free shipping right now in the sponsors section.
    Scooter
    I thought not. Seems the CF actions are a little more common to find anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem. I can, however, convert CF blind mag to CF box mag as I already have the bottom metal and mag, correct? It should just be a matter of removing the blind mag box if I'm not mistaken.

I'll look into the Sav-1 trigger. I've never personally tried one but have heard great things. I'm between that and a Timney at this point, although the Accutrigger does have a special place in my heart if I can find a newer action for a decent price. Just going to have to wait and see what I'm left with after I purchase and action and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    There is also the "short action" version of the 110 that has a shelf in the rear section of the receiver to accommodate short action chamberings. Avoid it for longer cartridge conversions.
    Yeah I've seen them every so often but the LAs that you typically run across are for the bigger cartridges. Cabela's has a 7mm rem mag for $399, but I'm going to wait and see if I can find something cheaper heading into the spring. I'll buy the complete rifle and part it if I have to, but that just seems a little steep for a bare bones rifle anyway. Going to see if I can't find a 7mm RM or .300 WM action to avoid having to swap bolt heads, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to that point of having to.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    7mm Rem Mag would have been a little kinder to his shoulder for the 1K+ shooting.
    Yeah, I told him that but he seemed pretty adamant about the .300 win mag. I think he prefers the .30 cal projectiles but both are obviously excellent rounds for long distance. Both have excellent factory ammo offerings as well. I do have a nice brake and limbsaver that I'm going to be installing anyway, so recoil should be very minimal. He shot my .338 Lapua with one and didn't think it was bad at all, so I think he should be fine with the .300.

I'm lucky enough to have 1500+ yards at my disposal down here in SC, and he's been wanting a rifle that he can bring along when he comes down to visit.

Basic Member
    Thank you, everyone, for the replies! Some great info here, all of which will certainly be used in this process

LongRange
    Winnie go with the SAV2...a little more tuning but a better trigger once dialed...also Dennis is supposed to be getting some of the SSS comp triggers in..im waiting for him to get them and im going to try one out...i have 2 SAV2s and they are great triggers. i also have a few tips for you to make them a little better if you decide to go with one.

Basic Member
    Quick update: I just found out that the CDI bottom metal that I bought is set up for a Staggered Feed action, so does anyone know if that style bottom metal will work with Centerfeed actions or will I have to find a SF action? All CDI bottom metals use the single stack AI mags, so I'm not really sure what would be different about them, but I'd rather know first before making any final decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Winnie go with the SAV2...a little more tuning but a better trigger once dialed...also Dennis is supposed to be getting some of the SSS comp triggers in..im waiting for him to get them and im going to try one out...i have 2 SAV2s and they are great triggers. i also have a few tips for you to make them a little better if you decide to go with one.
    Alright, will have to check all of them out. Unfortunately I don't have experience with either of the Rifle Basix triggers, I just know that the Timney trigger is very good.

LongRange
    are you using it for hunting or target or both?

Basic Member
    Target but I would like to keep it as a repeater.

LongRange
    if target only you can set the SAV2 down to about 6ozs without bolt fires unless you REALLY slam the bolt closed.

Basic Member
    if target only you can set the SAV2 down to about 6ozs without bolt fires unless you REALLY slam the bolt closed.
    I'm not necessarily looking for the lightest trigger but rather, something that has a nice linear pull and crisp break. I'm going to talk to my dad to see what he wants to do because he seemed to like my accutrigger set to the lowest pull... I may well end up taking that off my rifle and putting it on his depending on compatibility.

LongRange
    thats the thing with the SAV2 you can tune it exactly how you or he likes it and its a much better trigger than the accu.

Basic Member
    thats the thing with the SAV2 you can tune it exactly how you or he likes it and its a much better trigger than the accu.
    Will definitely consider them!

School me on Long Actions!

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!