Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SWFA 6-20x50 vs vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ffp

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    Yeah, I've literally never heard of someone having THAT terrible of luck with a Vortex. Anyone that I've talked to absolutely loves them, and all of them have been on their rifles for a year + with no issues. I too know plenty of guys that shoot comps with the PSTs, some of which take an absolute beating and still work just as well as they did when new.

I mean I guess it's possible to have that many issues with a specific scope, but in my experience with Vortex, if you were ever that unhappy with one of their products, they would just send you a new one. Saying that you had 5 PSTs fail in the same year is just silly unless you had them strapped to a 20mm cannon or were running them over with a truck everyday.
    lol, that's what I thought too... hahaha

I don't even own a magnum. The largest caliber they were mounted on was a 6.5-284. They were mounted and torqued to Vortex specs in Burris Siganture Zee Rings. Optical clarity was fine, features were great, as well as the price but the relablility just was not there. I am a serious long range hunter and I practice constantly, this means dialing range and coming back to zero multiple times through out a range practice session. They would never track relaibly, none of them. I could dial out to 900 yards or so and come back to my 200 yard zero and be off 2 feet. Had an entire turret come off one of them during a range session. I even had one that when you adjusted the focus at the eye piece the reticule would twist with it about an 1/8th of a turn either way. These are all well taken care of fire arms, never dropped never abused and always mounted properly. I will say the warranty service was great and very fast but unfortunately I got to be on a first name basis with those clowns. The first thing people say about Vortex when you bring them up is that they have an excellent warranty. The reason they say this is because they have all had to use it.

I find this video clip from Tommy Boy sums up my feelings of Vortex Optics quite nicely.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5dpBpaFiMo

That's nuts. I've not seen anything like any of that with my PST. Not saying it doesn't happen by any means, since there are a ton of them out there, but mine is rock solid and repeatable. I shoot tactical matches with mine, and practice as much as I can, and I dial the snot out of my turrets.

Basic Member
    There is a reason you don't hear everyone talking about the Sightron, Nightforce, Leupold, March, Trijicon, or Zeiss warranty, just to name a few. It's because of the numbers game. They sell lots of scopes but don't have the returns for warranty work in the same percentage that Vortex does. In my short life i have had one cheap Bushnell fail, back when they used wires instead of etched lens i had a stadia break and i have owned a truckload of cheap scopes. Had one of the lower priced Sightron scopes fail, crosshairs turned inside the tube almost 45 degrees. I am using Sightron almost exclusively now which adds up to almost 15 scopes. Of 3 Vortex scopes i have had 1 fail, repaired and fail again. Gave one to SNL and he bumped it getting in deer stand and knocked it off enough to miss a deer by more than 2 feet at about 50 yards, In defense of that scope it did adjust back to on target and has held up so far. The third one is on a 338-06 and doesn't see much action these days. My Sightron hunting scopes are not babied and have been knocked around and they ride in the truck uncased without a problem other than noted above. IMHO Vortex has a super warranty as do the other brands of quality scopes but the best warranty is the one you never have to use because Mr Murphy will visit you at the most inconvenient time.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Yeah, I don't know if stomp just has terrible luck or what, but I haven't seen more than a handful of Vipers fail in the 2-3 years that I've been shooting them. Both of mine have always tracked perfectly and held zero without any issues. I will admit that I've never shot a match with one, and that they're used almost strictly for ELR/benchrest/prone shooting, but I still can't imagine them being THAT bad, especially having sent it back so and having it replaced so many times.

I have more confidence in my Razor Gen II than any of the Nightforces that I've owned, and while that certainly has something to do with personal preference, I don't see them being outperformed much, if at all, at any level of shooting. While I agree that the best warranty is the one that you never have to use, scopes can be lifetime investments. I don't doubt that Nightforce has a great warranty, but it's hard to trust it more than an unlimited lifetime warranty when you hear all the reasons that they'll void it.

Difference of opinion/experience I guess. My experience with multiple Vortex products and CS has been nothing short of exceptional. Guess I just don't get that same feeling with other big name manufacturers or products.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

These are just the accounts of my personal scopes. I have friends and clients that have had similar problems with their optics. The best one I have seen happen on a deer hunt last year and this was with a 4-16x44 HST. A client of mine was hiking into a glassing position up on a ridge. His hunting pack was equipped with a scabbard for the rifle and the rifle was carried muzzle down in the scabbard of his pack. The weather was less than ideal with moisture in the air with kind of an on again off again light mist of a rain. Long story short after about an hour of glassing we find a buck to shoot and when he pulls his rifle out and looks through the scope all he can see is water. I bet there were 3 or 4 ounces of water in that thing. Vortex replaced that scope and he hasn't had any other issues that I am aware of but that one failed at the most inopportune time.

LongRange
    Like i said in the beganing of this thread i personally seen 5 PSTs fail this year...one had just come back from warranty work and 1 shot was very close to zero the next 4 were all over the target at 100yds.

SIIISS 6-24X50

This is the scope you want for the money you want to spend.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I owned 3 vortex vipers. 2 pst/1 hs. The hs and one pst failed.... Elevation turret on hs and the focus on the pst. The pst was several shots from new. Hs bout 100 rounds in. Both on 308 I now own nothing in vortex. But, great warranty. Only thing nice about the warranty was I could sell the scopes as new. Since they replaced both with new scopes. I run sightrons now. Have 3. Several thousand shots later and zero issues

SWFA 6-20x50 vs vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ffp

I have been very happy with my primary arms scope. I want my next scope to have a bit more magnification. I have read and been told that when you have a higher powered scope and you turn it up the clarity in the quality of the glass becomes visible. My end goal is to be able to shoot out past 1,000 yards. I would bet most people shooting that distance are using $2,000+ scopes. But I really need to stick to my budget.
    Last edited by Russ77; 12-03-2015 at 04:44 AM.

Basic Member
    I've used my sightrons to shoot out to 1,440 yards so far. Took a whitetail deer at 1,121 yards last week with my 6-24 sightron. Been using these for over 5 years now. It's about quality not just price

Basic Member
    You guys must not belong to any other firearms forum or you'd know who Rob01 is to the shooting community. I would wager that he's used more optics than most of you combined.

OP, if you really want very good information, read what Rob01 writes and take it to heart. He really does know what he's talking about as he has years of experience on the competition circuit.

I can say that Vortex CS/warranty is outstanding. I had a regular Viper and during the manufacturing process there was plastic shavings inside the glass. When I called Vortex they shipped me my replacement Viper before I even sent back the defective optic. That is unheard of in most industries. I know I worked for Streamlight in the repair department and SL would never send a replacement without first receiving the defective product. Vortex also shipped to me a return label with the replacement optic.

IMO, Vortex will take care of it's customers and they have grown as a company very quickly. I'm certain there is always growing pains of getting that large overnight.

For those that say NF does not fail or X product...you are living in a fantasy and only making those comments as fanboys. The reality is any and ever product can and will fail. No matter how much you pay for that product...it's the cost of production and the cost of doing business. It's how the company will react when the customer has a failure.

I know I certainly wouldn't choose a Leupold over a Vortex.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    You guys must not belong to any other firearms forum or you'd know who Rob01 is to the shooting community. I would wager that he's used more optics than most of you combined.

OP, if you really want very good information, read what Rob01 writes and take it to heart. He really does know what he's talking about as he has years of experience on the competition circuit.

I can say that Vortex CS/warranty is outstanding. I had a regular Viper and during the manufacturing process there was plastic shavings inside the glass. When I called Vortex they shipped me my replacement Viper before I even sent back the defective optic. That is unheard of in most industries. I know I worked for Streamlight in the repair department and SL would never send a replacement without first receiving the defective product. Vortex also shipped to me a return label with the replacement optic.

IMO, Vortex will take care of it's customers and they have grown as a company very quickly. I'm certain there is always growing pains of getting that large overnight.

For those that say NF does not fail or X product...you are living in a fantasy and only making those comments as fanboys. The reality is any and ever product can and will fail. No matter how much you pay for that product...it's the cost of production and the cost of doing business. It's how the company will react when the customer has a failure.

I know I certainly wouldn't choose a Leupold over a Vortex.
    most of us know who rob is...we know who he is in the shooting world and we do respect what he says but the fact of the matter is the the PSTs fail more than any other scope on the market...period...i agree that they are an outstanding Co. and have grown faster than other optics Co in a short time and that with growth comes unforeseen issues.and the biggest reason they have grown so fast is because of their outstanding warranty and customer service.

and NO ONE SAID that a NF scope(or any other scope)is above failure...i have repeatedly said that ANY scope can fail and that i have personally seen 2 steiner scopes fail...one last year and one this year...and for you to post that guys here are fanboys?LMAO!! read your post to yourself and tell us who sounds like a fanboy...and as i said above...i shot NF scopes for 7yrs and just bought a razor HD gen2 so we will see how it holds up....590+ rounds and counting.

Basic Member
    We're speaking from experience... Many of us have owned multiple scopes of several brands and configurations.

My experience owning 3 Burris, 3 vortex vipers, 3 Sightrons is this,

Burris- good quality scope that tracks reliably and holds zero (on hunting rifles and AR 15 setups). Used about 8 years. Models are Fullfield II and E1
    Sightron: tracks excellent, great glass, so far 100% reliable FOR ME. These scopes are used for long range shooting. Used about 5 years. Models are all SIII
    Vortex- great glass, excellent customer service, 66% failure rate. Used for hunting and long range shooting. Used about 6-8 months. Models are 2 PST and 1 HS

Basic Member
    Thanks for the kind words Aubie but I won't take anything away from the other's experiences. I just give mine to go into the mix. I only have 2 PSTs now, the 6-24 and 2.5-10x32. No issues yet. Hopefully there won't be.

LongRange
    i think thats what we all do Rob and maybe Aubie feels like we were attacking you or vortex and thats not the case just giving the OP the feed back he asked for...like i said most of us know who you are and respect your input.

Rob. Did you purchase your scopes at retail or similar or were you offered scopes? Serious question not being an ass.

Basic Member
    Got a discount. Basically the LE/mil price.

Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    For $899 you can get a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 or 8.5-25x50 and end up with a much more reliable optic than the Vortex with better glass. I have had and seen too many Vortex scopes fail for me to ever recommend to anyone. Leupold carries the same great warranty but you will never have to use it.
    I suppose you only read what you want to read because your comments below is not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post

and NO ONE SAID that a NF scope(or any other scope)is above failure...i have repeatedly said that ANY scope can fail and that i have personally seen 2 steiner scopes fail...one last year and one this year...and for you to post that guys here are fanboys?LMAO!! read your post to yourself and tell us who sounds like a fanboy...and as i said above...i shot NF scopes for 7yrs and just bought a razor HD gen2 so we will see how it holds up....590+ rounds and counting.
    Fact is production will yield a lemon from time to time. I'm not saying that Vortex is the very best optics company out there, but they seem to offer some great features without the high price tag compared to their competition.

I find it hard to believe that stomp442 has better "luck" using BSA and yet he's had "100%" failure with Vortex.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I suppose you only read what you want to read because your comments below is not true.

Fact is production will yield a lemon from time to time. I'm not saying that Vortex is the very best optics company out there, but they seem to offer some great features without the high price tag compared to their competition.

I find it hard to believe that stomp442 has better "luck" using BSA and yet he's had "100%" failure with Vortex.

Your right i missed that...i try to read but im not real good at it....as far as stomps experiences with BSA and vortex i can not comment as ive never owned a BSA or a lower end vortex...i have owned a few leupolds and never had issues with them but they were on ARs...one is 8yrs old and still works as new...as far as vortex goes the gen2 is the first one ive owned...i really liked the gen1 glass but didnt like the turrets or the huge reticle at high power...so far i love everything about the gen2 but like i said i personally would not buy a PST after seeing the failure rate of them this year.

I also think there are much better optics in the $900 dollar range than the PST...most have been posted in this thread...Russ will have to make his own decision in the end and if he goes with the PST i hope he has the same luck you and Rob have had.

I will readily admit the BSA and Tasco scopes that I have owned are junk scopes and they were replaced with much better optics when the funds were available but they still lasted longer than any vortex I have ever mounted and they still work. I now have a closet full of leupold and Nikon rifle scopes on my match rifles and hunting rifles and never had one issue with any of them. I wouldn't really consider my self a fan boy but I do know I hate vortex. I wouldn't even keep one if it was given to me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I will readily admit the BSA and Tasco scopes that I have owned are junk scopes and they were replaced with much better optics when the funds were available but they still lasted longer than any vortex I have ever mounted and they still work. I now have a closet full of leupold and Nikon rifle scopes on my match rifles and hunting rifles and never had one issue with any of them. I wouldn't really consider my self a fan boy but I do know I hate vortex. I wouldn't even keep one if it was given to me.
    LOL. Guess there's at least one in every crowd. I have and will continue to use Vortex with absolute confidence (but I may have to add a Sightron to the fleet).
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Doing some reading on the sightron and its looks like a very well made optic. I can't believe they make a10x50 power wow. Not sure I would ever need that much power in a scope

LongRange
    some of the guys shooting F-class use 80x march scopes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast