Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SWFA 6-20x50 vs vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ffp

Sightron wins.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Sightron wins.
    Still undecided. I found a store near me that carries sightron gonna go check them out when I have time.

Depending on what exactly you're looking for, the Sightron may fit the bill. I have a buddy with the 6-24 that loves it as much as I love my 6-24 PST. I went with the PST because in that price range, there wasn't anything else out there with everything I wanted.

bflee
    I am not the easiest on my equipment. I dont even have a case for my rifle as I have a whole back seat in my truck clear. I send alot of rounds down range as I have a 300 yard range in my yard, and a 700 yard hay field a couple miles fown the road. I have owned a Vortex Pst 6-24x50 for over 3 years. I have never had an issue of any kind. I guess I am lucky!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bflee View Post
    I am not the easiest on my equipment. I dont even have a case for my rifle as I have a whole back seat in my truck clear. I send alot of rounds down range as I have a 300 yard range in my yard, and a 700 yard hay field a couple miles fown the road. I have owned a Vortex Pst 6-24x50 for over 3 years. I have never had an issue of any kind. I guess I am lucky!
    You and the the majority of others............. For every 1 that's had issues, I'll show you 10 (if not more) that haven't had any.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Having owned multiples of most every major brand of scope out there over the years there's only three I've never had an issue with, Bushnell, Sightron and Vortex. That said, I don't buy the cheaper lines and always stick with the mid-grade to high-end models. (i.e. Elite 3200, 4200, 6500 for Bushnell, SII and SIII with Sightron, and the Diamondbacks, Vipers and Razors with Vortex).

As for one person getting a half dozen or more bad Vortex scopes, I find that real hard to believe, but anything is possible. All I know is that I know dozens and dozens of people who own multiple Vortex bino's and scopes who have owned them for years now and never had a single issue with any of them. Maybe Stomp's just jinxed or something when it comes to Vortex scopes. lol

Best advice (as always) is to go look through them yourself and go with your gut in terms of quality as at this price point they're all pretty much on the same level as far as build quality and reliability go.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I would like to believe it was just me but I have seen way to many go bad for other people as well. for those of you that are not having any issues, how exactly are you using your scopes? are you dialing your range and returning to zero or using the reticle for hold over points? I have found that if you zero one they hold just fine but when you go adjusting the turrets for windage or elevation during a shooting session you start having problems.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I would like to believe it was just me but I have seen way to many go bad for other people as well. for those of you that are not having any issues, how exactly are you using your scopes? are you dialing your range and returning to zero or using the reticle for hold over points? I have found that if you zero one they hold just fine but when you go adjusting the turrets for windage or elevation during a shooting session you start having problems.
    I've done 10 MOA ladder/box tests at various ranges with both Vipers and my Razor. All of them tracked perfectly and were consistent. All returned to zero without a problem. Never had any issues with walking POIs, and they were all used almost every weekend. My Razor sees consistent work out to 1,500 yards on my Lapua and I've had nothing but success with it thus far.

Again, I think that your situation, if you did in fact have 5 (?) brand new Vipers fail on you was an anomaly... I've seen countless people had excellent luck with Vortex's entire line of scopes, but that's not to say that everyone's experience is different. I just think that most people you ask that have any type of experience with Vortex are going to tell you that A) they're hard to beat for the money, B) there are A LOT more well-functioning scopes out there than failures, and C) if there is a failure, the replacement scope has been perfectly fine.

Not trying to be a Vortex fanboy at all, but in my personal experience, I just don't see that many Viper PSTs (a MASSIVELY popular scope over the last few years) having that many issues.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

I'd agree with all of that.

And I dial. Every time I shoot. From 100 out to 1000 and everywhere in between.

bflee
    I dial with it all the time. Never holdover. Go back and forth and never had an issue.

Well it looks as though I am the definite minority when it comes to Vortex failures. but I am a firm believer that if you haven't had to use the Vortex Warranty program you haven't owned the scope long enough.

Basic Member
    How many years is "not long enough"? I remember pulling my first off a prize table maybe 6 years ago.

Consider yourself lucky.

bflee
    I have te PST, a Leupold, and a NightForce and they all work fine. I have owned many in my time and I only broke one in that time, but I broke the rifle also so I cant complain about that one. It was a cheap scope on a 30-30 I dropped out of a tall pine onto a stump. It was an old wire reticle. I could shake them around in there! The rifle had a hairline crck under the lever and never cycled right again. I used it as a single shot for years after that! Baged some deer with it though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Consider yourself lucky.
    Or consider yourself unlucky.

This I know as fact. Nothing to consider.

Basic Member
    Just to throw a wrench in the works I'd suggest looking at the Burris SCR II, I got one recently and I'm liking it so far. I also have a Vortex PST which is dead nuts reliable, though SFP, and a Bushnell 3-21 that failed recently and was sent in for repair. Mounted it back up but haven't shot it yet. If you're in Central Ca you might try contacting Mike Cecil at CS Tactical. He'll have scopes for you to look at and is a great guy to deal with whether it is in person or online.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123