Thread: The long and short of it?

Basic Member

The long and short of it?

When dealing with an AXIS, what measurements break out a "long" action, from a "short" action?

I've heard a bunch of rumors, all divergent, would somebody here give me the straight dope please ?

Are the rail mounting holes different, front to back? what should the spacing be and how is it measured?

I'm trying to find a one piece picitinny rail, (0 deg. not 20 deg.) I would prefer steel, but after checking pricing, aluminum it is...

I ordered one from Brownells, it was too long, (by about 3/8th in. (c to c), front to back, on the mounting holes.

This really shouldn't be that difficult, should it?

Thanks for the help, Paul

ottawacats
    Look up EGW scope mount # 41800

matt

Basic Member
    Here it is to best of my knowledge. If this is to much of offbase, someone will correct me.

All Savage Axis Actions are the same length and are technically long actions. They measure 4.718'' or 4 25/32 however you want to look at it. The difference is in the magazine's, mag well size, and baffles. For instance the length of the mag box for a "long action" 3 49/64" approximately. While the length for the short action is 3 17/64".

This is how they can run a 30-06 down to a .223 in the same gun. They are also designed differently such as the .223 which has spacer and uses a extended front baffle on the bolt, and the feed lips vary as well.

The mounting screw spacing is all the same size as far as I know, but I am not sure of the exact measurements. As for scope rails the least exspensive steel version that I am aware of is the Warne. Although we have all had success with EGW, Weaver etc...

http://warnescopemounts.com/product/...ce-base-matte/

And no it should'nt be that hard, hell I think I have one laying around here that I don't use if you need one.

AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    All Axis actions are the same length, and should not be classified as a short or a long, because they are an entirely different from other models. This causes confusion with many people who get them confused with model 10 and 110 actions when searching for parts.
    The Axis uses either a short magazine box, or a long, depending on caliber. The front baffles are the same for all calibers, and can be rotated for proper bolt travel by flipping it over. Scope bases will be classified as "Savage Axis" only and there is no long and short about it.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Skank_21
    Anyone got a pics of this baffle that can be flipped to change bolt travel?

chef matt
    I am curious too on this baffle

Team Savage
    You do not flip the baffle ,you rotate it 180

There's a drawing in your rifle's manual on pages 5 and 6 that refer to the "baffle undercut". The instructions tell you to keep the baffle undercut on the right side, which I believe is consistent with the Axis philosophy of making as few parts as they can get away with. What is meant by "flipping" the baffle is as drybean says: rotating the baffle in position so the undercut side is on the left.