Thread: 11 Scout

folmonty

11 Scout

Interested in the subject gun for a first bolt gun and something that should fit the multitude of uses I enjoy. Run & gun, steel plates and some longer distance 100 - 500 yrds steel plate shooting and general paper punching at the local range. Reloading for the .308 is something which also sounds like fun. Things I like about the rifle are adjustable stock, trigger, threaded barrel, iron sights with optic options and the general versatility. Only bummer IMHO are the proprietary magazines.

There was an earlier thread which addressed this new Savage model albeit just a new generation of the model 10. Looking to jump start the conversation again.....
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...t=Burris+Scout

Savage and Ruger seem to be in bit of a battle for "scout" customers so they must be selling. Thought I'd see if there's anyone else here who's taken the plunge and what optics etc are being used and how the rifle is performing? Read the test report here at Savage Shooters by MrFurious which was great but thought I'd see if there were any more shooters with added insight. Thanks -

Monty

Basic Member
    welcome to the forum and I'm sure lots of folks will chime in with their opinions soon

Basic Member
    I'm very interested in this as well. For some reason the scout concept has always intrigued me, and being a fan of savage rifles this is the first place I looked. I'm looking at it as a lightweight hunting rifle but I'll also run it in drills getting knocked around, and plinking at whatever max distance I can get out of it. The only comparable in the market I can find is the Ruger, but seems to me that the Ruger is heavier.

For optics, I've pretty much decided on the Burris 2-7x bdc scout scope, so I'm trying to dig up info on how happy people are with their scouts online before laying down the $$.

Scoutmod11
    Hi all. I have a mod 11 scout and fitted the Burris 2 - 7 scout scope on quick release rings, I didn't have to remove the iron sights so it can easily be removed in the field if need be. I really like the gun and the scout setup, I have not been hunting with the rifle yet but off the bench I have put roughly 200 rounds through it so far. It did not like hornandy 150 grain White tail but I have found some locally made (Australian) 135 grain adi hollow points are very accurate with about an inch group at 100 meters. The whitetail was consistently bad at around 3 inch groups. The magazine is only really good for 9 rounds as the 10th can eject and is hard to load in, I have made it work but it's not perfect. Hope this helps you.

The scout has the front of the base screwed to the barrel
    You might as well as well get a hog hunter for $200 less
    It is short and has Ironsights

folmonty
    Stockrex is right, pretty much the same thing sands scope mount. Was able to source the 11 Scout for $629 which seems pretty reasonable. Finding out the true scout aficionados aren't as keen on the Savage as the Ruger. There's some pretty heavy ties to Colonel Jeff Cooper and the Gun Sight training facility in AZ. Had no real knowledge about the Colonel before getting into this rifle but find him to be quite a fascinating guy and icon to those who are into the scout concept.