Thread: cabelas 10t

Basic Member

cabelas 10t

I been looking at a savage 10t at cabelas.....What kind of accuracy are u guys getting with the 5r rifling ??

Basic Member
    My .308 10FCP-SR with 24" 5R 1 in 10" twist barrel is a shooter with FGMM 175 grain ammo.

Basic Member
    Thinks for the good info..

Petre
    I was under the impression Savage Barrels are button rifled, not 5r...

cabelas 10t

Quote Originally Posted by Petre View Post
    I was under the impression Savage Barrels are button rifled, not 5r...
    A 5R rifling configuration can not be achieved with a button broach process??
    Edit: replace the word "broach" with "rifling" to be more correct and less confusing
    Last edited by barrel-nut; 11-27-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Petre
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    A 5R rifling configuration can not be achieved with a button broach process??
    Edit: replace the word "broach" with "rifling" to be more correct and less confusing
    LOL ... I think what I stated was confusing. Not that it can't be done. I just didn't think it was being done by Savage or most anyone.

I seem to recall reading somewhere a while back, 5r rifling developed by Obermeyer was cut only.

Whether it can be successfully button "broached" I don't know, but I'm sure someone has tried and I don't really see a reason it can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Petre View Post
    LOL ... I think what I stated was confusing. Not that it can't be done. I just didn't think it was being done by Savage or most anyone.

I seem to recall reading somewhere a while back, 5r rifling developed by Obermeyer was cut only.

Whether it can be successfully button "broached" I don't know, but I'm sure someone has tried and I don't really see a reason it can't be done.
    I don't really know either, just trying to learn. I just read Obermeyer's FAQ's section, and the impression I'm getting is that his single-point cut rifled barrels (he doesn't do button rifling) are cut a little deeper than most, giving his 5R barrels longer life. It's his "special sauce", if you will lol.
    Savage doesn't do single-point cut rifling, nor do any of the mass-produced gunmakers. Most are button rifled or hammer forged. I really doubt that Savage is sourcing their 5r barrels from another company. Since they only do button barrels, I'm making a calculated guess that their 5r barrels are buttoned too. But again, that's my guess. One of the Savage insiders here may enlighten us.

Basic Member
    I purchased the 10T when savage had a 100 dollar mail in rebate. Sweet rifle. Accurate! You will not regret getting one.