Thread: Got a spare Accustock. Deciding what to do with it...

Team Savage

Got a spare Accustock. Deciding what to do with it...

A few weeks ago, I started my journey into Savage rifles when I purchased a Model 11 (xp package) in .308 after quite a bit of research and in-store "fit testing." I'm very happy with my choice (shot yet another sub 1" group at 100 yards today), but it has the "cheap," light and flexible "Axis" style stock on it, so I was curious about the Accustock. I got lucky and found someone who had one and he sold it to me for what I felt was a very good price. I thought it might bolt right on to my Model 11, but I soon realized I don't have any "bottom metal (plastic)" for it, which led me to research all the options for that, and magazines, etc.

Since this particular rifle is one I purchased specifically for hunting, and because it's giving me sub-MOA groups with the "cheap" stock already, I decided to just paint the factory stock a flat green and call it good. It looks great and is very light, which suits my style of hunting very well.

So, here I sit with an Accustock that I have no real use for. My question is, what should I do with it? I enjoy shooting at the range enough that I'm thinking of building a dedicated range gun. I'm also just starting to hand load, so I suspect I'll be doing even more shooting for the sake of shooting in the future, and that's just fine with me.

Any thoughts/ideas. I'm not looking to break the bank, but rather just looking for a fun project to tinker with over the next 4-6 months. Maybe during that time I can find an old Savage or Stevens action to build on in a pawn shop for cheap. After deer season is always a good time to look for old hunting rifles. Or maybe it's a fools errand and I should just sell the Accustock and start from scratch with a range gun?

I'm open to ideas.

Thanks.

Petre
    {reference to item for sale outside of the classifieds removed}

I almost threw up when I saw these garbage mags sell for $70+ at Cabelas. LOL.

The stock is decent and if I wanted a knock around hunter, it would fit the bill nicely. Even the bottom metal to me seems good, but the mags it fits are IMHO, garbage.

The work... but not sufficiently for my personal standards. The AICS and Accurate Mags I'm using are on the other hand, excellent. I had one bad Accurate Mag, but otherwise I'm satisfied with all.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 01-07-2016 at 12:04 PM. Reason: General Forum Rules violation

Team Savage
    96 views and 1 reply. Okay. I get the message. LOL.

Think the 96 views were 96 other barrel nuts looking for virtually the same answer,
    Many if not most of us stay in that quandary with spare parts.
    If you're looking to be enabled this is indeed the right place.
    The classified here are a great place to buy and sell all things Savage and well worth the price of admission if you're considering such a project.
    Good luck, do your research on what will fit, and full steam ahead.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Or maybe it's a fools errand and I should just sell the Accustock and start from scratch with a range gun?

This.

If you buy a decent "precision" Savage, then it'll come with it's own AccuStock.

IMHO, it would be absurd to try to build a rifle around an OEM stock. That would be kind of like building a car around a set of OEM wheels/tires.

Petre
    The stock is decent for a knock around gun. The factory bottom metal is actually pretty decent as well. The Factory mags are garbage.

The problem is finding anybody that can use the stock and DBM that doesn't already have it because Savage made sure one didn't fit the other.

Team Savage
    Thanks for the replies.

Been eyeing a LH model 11 in .243 that will drop into the stock I have. Might be a fun range gun, esp. since I can load for my daughter's .243 hunting rifle at the same time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petre View Post
    {snip}
    Sent you pm Petre
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 01-07-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Reference to item for sale outside of the classifieds removed

Twinsen
    You also need an Accustock recoil lug to use an Accustock. Factory Savage recoil lugs won't work and neither will aftermarket ones.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    You also need an Accustock recoil lug to use an Accustock. Factory Savage recoil lugs won't work and neither will aftermarket ones.
    They will if you mill out the notch to fit the lug.

I found a use for my Accustock. It's currently bolted to my .308 that's shooting 2" groups at 300 yards.