Thread: RCBS 3 way cutter...

LongRange

RCBS 3 way cutter...

Any of you guys using the 3 way case trimmer with the trim pro 2?

Im looking to cut case prep time and this is one place i could cut 15 to 20mins out if the 3 way trim head works well.... read a lot of mixed reviews on them so before i buy the set up i thought id see if any of you guys are using one and how you like it.

Basic Member
    I have one and they work well once set up. The set up is a bit of a pain but for trimming large batches of brass it save a lot of time and handling.

LongRange
    Thanks SE...also wondering if anyone is using the forster 3 way cutter?

Good subject LR. I currently have a Wilson manual turn, A WFT and a Lyman powered unit. If I could adapt one of those to my WFT or the Lyman I would be one happy feller.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

LongRange
    I was reading reviews on both the Forster and the RCBS and both have mixed reviews...I like the spring loaded case holder on the trim pro but I think the Forster is probable a little better built.
    i have the Wilson micro trimmer which I really like but I have to do the chamfering after trimming...it would be nice to do it all at once but I'd like to know how well they work before buying one...I may just buy one and do a review.
    Last edited by LongRange; 11-26-2015 at 04:42 PM.

LongRange
    well i think im going to go with the forster...brownells has everything in stock for $156

this is the one I have...... seeing as how I own 5 different 223 gas guns and 2 308 gas guns...ive cut thousands of cases with the one I have and its due for new cutter blades.
    I like it in the sense that its quick.
    https://youtu.be/gnDOqEI5TKo
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

I have the Trim-pro 2 powered trimmer and the three way cutter. I tried setting it up to do my .308 cases but I never could get the chamfer to cut evenly around the case, inside or out. I got frustrated and put it up, went back to just trimming them with the TrimPro and doing the rest in separate steps. I can't say 100% that it was the fault of the tool and not the way I set it up, but I got tired of messing with it. And I'm generally very patient with stuff like that. It would've been ok for bulk plinking ammo, but my results were not as good as I can do by hand.
    Sorry for the late reply, but I think you made the right choice for your purposes anyway.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    this is the one I have...... seeing as how I own 5 different 223 gas guns and 2 308 gas guns...ive cut thousands of cases with the one I have and its due for new cutter blades.
    I like it in the sense that its quick.
    https://youtu.be/gnDOqEI5TKo
    Ive looked at those and the geirads but its kinda hard for me to put out that kinda coin without seeing one in person...does the gracy chamfer,deburr and trim eddie?

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    I have the Trim-pro 2 powered trimmer and the three way cutter. I tried setting it up to do my .308 cases but I never could get the chamfer to cut evenly around the case, inside or out. I got frustrated and put it up, went back to just trimming them with the TrimPro and doing the rest in separate steps. I can't say 100% that it was the fault of the tool and not the way I set it up, but I got tired of messing with it. And I'm generally very patient with stuff like that. It would've been ok for bulk plinking ammo, but my results were not as good as I can do by hand.
    Sorry for the late reply, but I think you made the right choice for your purposes anyway.
    I havent ordered it yet...ive seen the same complants your having in reviews about the forster...when ever i think about buying something i always wait a day to think if i REALLY need it...plus brownells should have free shipping or some promos tomorrow.

Yes it does. It cuts,dechamphers inside and out. If it's adjusted correctly, it cuts nicely. New blades? Even better. The problem I've seen with 3 blade cutters is that they may not necessarily give you nice even cuts at the lip. Its easy for the cutter to cut to lenght, the hard part is getting it tto not over dechampher.

LongRange
    Yep ive read that and also the 3 in 1s leave rough cuts on the inside edge...still undecided right now.

LongRange
    this is an interesting tool... http://eztrimit.com/

LongRange
    so i just ordered the forster set up from brownells...with 10% off $150 special and round up it was $148 even...if i was doing a lot of cases i would of went with a high end power unit but im only doing 50 to 100 cases at a time and having the trim,chamfer deburr done at one time will save me about 20mins or so...ill post back after i try it out.

Basic Member
    I use the RCBS trim pro with 3 way and love it. I use it on everything. I just did about 1500 223 with it, and they are all pretty darn accurate.

I did modify my trim pro though. I didn't want to have to buy the plates so I took that end off and put a normal Forster style shell holder on it that I had from an old trimmer. It takes a bit of fine tuning, and its easy to push the pilot to far in the head to not inside case chamfer, but it just takes keeping an eye on it.

Shm