Thread: Budge benchrest dual purpose?

Basic Member

Budge benchrest dual purpose?

I have been looking at custom Savage actions and think I might dip my foot in.

I don't hunt. I would like to try one day but until then, I shoot at paper and mostly from a bench.

I've been looking at Savage target actions and SSS action jobs but I'm cheap at heart and want to start with an Axis.

I'm thinking I can start with a left hand Axis and send it to SSS for a true and time job. They also offer a right hand bolt to left hand bolt conversion so I hope they can reverse it and make a left hand action, right hand bolt like a bench rest gun except also a magazine.

If that works I'll get an SSS trigger and put it in an MDT LSS chassis. I can make a bolt on bag rider fore end for when I'm at a bench and take it off when I'm not.

I haven't seen a left hand action right hand bolt Axis yet and I kind of wonder why.

Any way, I would appreciate any suggestions or an explanation if there is a reason why this isn't done.

Thanks for the help.

MrFurious has a LBRP Axis. SSS had to cut new ramps in the lug recess to make it work. Otherwise it would just be a matter of switching out the bolt assemblies.

I should say, "I assume SSS had to cut new ramps". I don't know that was done, just that it was converted by Fred.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 11-26-2015 at 02:38 AM.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I'm looking for RBLP so opposite, like a right handed target action.

Basic Member
    Oh, I get the impression that all Savage short actions share the same bolt bodies and bolt heads are caliber specific but not model specific.

That would mean that as long as I buy parts made for a 2008 or newer 4.4" bolt spacing action, it should all work together (except I need Axis specific bolt handle).

Let me know if that is right because it isn't exactly spelled out in the FAQ.

It's not quite right, but these are common enough misconceptions that they should be included in the Axis FAQses.

First of all, Axises are all basically long actions. I know they're chambered for short action cartridges, but the receivers are all the same size: long. Stocks and magazines are different based on whether it is a short or long action chambering, but the receivers will fit both.

Axises also all have the same bolt body (well, one for lefties, one for righties), which is not interchangeable with any other Savages. Regardless of whether the rifle is a .223 Rem or a .30-06, the bolt body will be the same. The baffle behind the bolt head can be flipped 180 degrees to take up some of the slack.

Similarly, they all have the same bolt handle (L and R specific), which is also not interchangeable. The only parts of the bolt assembly that interchange are the bolt head assemblies. They use a short action bolt head irrespective of the chambering, so a .30-06 Axis will have the same bolt head as a .308 Win Model 10, not a .30-06 Model 110.

Basic Member
    I think I'm going to go looking for a lefty Axis tomorrow.

I have been reading up on Savage extraction timing and it sounds simple enough that I think I'll spend the money to get one in my hands and see for myself.

Action truing might be a whole other issue that I need to sub out.

Basic Member
    I struck out trying to find a lefty Axis.

It looks like I will be calling up the Savage custom shop.

My wish list is left hand Axis action, 6.5 Creedmoor 22" medium-heavy barrel, target accu-trigger and maybe a threaded barrel if they can do that.

Are all Axis receivers drilled the same for scope mounts? I'm guessing they are but I don't want to have to drill and tap a hardened receiver.

I was reading up on bench rest rules and it seems like there is a Sporter Custom class that allows modified guns weighing less than 10.5 lbs with glass. I think I can slide under that. I just hope the RPR is in another class.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    It looks like I'm going to have to shelf this for a while, the Aero Precision Black Friday door buster deal got me and then I went out and bough most of the other pieces I need to finish an 18" medium profile Criterion barreled AR.

Maybe next summer I'll get back to a bolt action project.