Thread: stock help

savage83

stock help

Looking for stock ideas. I'm building a rifle in 6.5-284. And the more I look at them the more I'm undecided. The rifle is just gonna be used for target shooting with a bipod. I ordered a 28 inch barrel from apache gunworks. I love the xlr chassis and the mtd. If I was to go that route which should I go with? I'm building it off a savage 110. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Basic Member
    I cannot really answer your question, but I do have an XLR Evolution chassis arriving early next week. If all goes well, and the weather permits, I might be able to try it very soon and report back. I will say, I haven't read anything negative about the XLR chassis. I briefly looked at MDT and some others, but I discounted them all for one reason or the other and went back to the XLR chassis in the end. I am hoping I am happy with it.

LongRange
    no experience with the MTD but as of yesterday i have 576 rounds through my 260 in a XLR evolution chassis and will never build off any other platform...i think either one you choose youll be happy...my vote would go to XLR...great chassis and some of the best customer service in the business.

Basic Member
    You're not going to go wrong with either one. I went with the MDT LSS chassis to save on weight. However there are some limitation to that chasis. The forend is short and is all aluminum. If you plan on shooting in the cold, you will have to keep that in mind. The metal forend will sap the heat right out of your hand. Also, you shooting this chassis freehand is a challenge. You will touch the barrel; I'm shooting a varmint profile CBI 260 barrel. Again, I was looking for the lightest weight chassis system I could go with. The XLR carbon chasis was outside of my price range.

I would look at the MDT HS3 chassis. It weighs a few more ounces but mitigates many of the weaknesses of the LSS.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

savage83
    I'm just building a rifle to take to the range and shoot. I won't be hunting with it. I ordered a 28 inch bull barrel form apache gun works. And will be shot in the prone position out of the bed of my truck mostly. I'm not really concerned about weight. I'd prefer it to be kinda heavy. I would like something that would help it be stable with the long heavy barrel.

savage83
    Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    You're not going to go wrong with either one. I went with the MDT LSS chassis to save on weight. However there are some limitation to that chasis. The forend is short and is all aluminum. If you plan on shooting in the cold, you will have to keep that in mind. The metal forend will sap the heat right out of your hand. Also, you shooting this chassis freehand is a challenge. You will touch the barrel; I'm shooting a varmint profile CBI 260 barrel. Again, I was looking for the lightest weight chassis system I could go with. The XLR carbon chasis was outside of my price range.

I would look at the MDT HS3 chassis. It weighs a few more ounces but mitigates many of the weaknesses of the LSS.

That's a nice rifle.

Basic Member
    I'm a picture whore

[I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.