Thread: Clamp on Muzzle Breaks

rcmark

Clamp on Muzzle Breaks

Anyone tried any of these?
    http://wittmachine.co/index.php?main...index&cPath=69

I want to reduce the barrel rise / recoil on mt Axis!

Basic Member
    Kahntrol Solutions also makes one that looks pretty nice.

I'll be the first to admit that clamp-on style muzzle brakes seem a little sketchy, but I've heard of people using them before without much of a problem. Thread-on brakes are always going to be preferable because you can pretty much guarantee that they will stay indexed correctly on the barrel. Clamp on brakes will always be liable to come loose, no matter how much you tighten them.

In addition, I'd assume that POI shifts would be much more prevalent with clamp-on brakes because they can move around, if nothing but the slightest difference from one shot to the next. That being said, any type of muzzle device that you install is going to have some sort of positive effect on felt recoil and muzzle jump. Performance is going to have a direct correlation on how much you're willing to spend, so it's up to you to decide what type of consistency/accuracy/recoil reduction you're looking for, and then how much you're willing to spend to get there.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

LongRange
    i like winnie dont care for the clamp ons but the witts are some of the better ones.

rfd12fv
    witt clamp-on brake on a 308wi axis hb chassis - works very noticeably well to minimize barrel rise on firing ...

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmark View Post
    Anyone tried any of these?
    http://wittmachine.co/index.php?main...index&cPath=69

I want to reduce the barrel rise / recoil on mt Axis!
    In the past 8 months, I found 2 clamp on muzzle breaks at the local shootin' place. Both were within 10ft of the firing line. One of them was just like to one you show the link to.
    Heck, If I'd known they were that much money I would have sold it instead of tossing it in the trash.

I suppose the fella(s) that lost them wasn't paying much attention.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

rfd12fv
    standing to the side and back of a brake going off is not a pleasant experience, even with big muffs on.

I had a clamp-on brake for a Mosin that went flying after half a box of ammo. However, that was a cheap, Chinese thing that relied on the shear strength of two small, equally cheap machine screws. The Witt and Kahntrol brakes look both more robust and better designed.

One concern with threading a muzzle that's come to light as of late is its effect on the bore diameter at the muzzle on button rifled barrels. That said, it has not affected me appreciably, and I'd still opt for threading over clamps.

BW64
    I've had the Witt brake on a Rem 700 in .308 for over 1500 rounds & it has NEVER moved!!! If you install it correctly with just a tiny bit of blue Loctite it stays where it belongs. I have had guys shoot prone next to my bench & all have said they expected it to be a lot louder than it is!!! Witt makes a great product & they have 25% off today & tomorrow! NO I am not a Witt employee just like their product! Don't bash it if you haven't tried it! :)

BW

ascotta05
    I have one from Witt Machine on an Axis .243. It looks good and reduces rise and felt recoil alot.
    Last edited by ascotta05; 11-26-2015 at 09:00 PM.