I recently bought my third Savage 99. I wanted one in .300 Savage, with a Schnabel hand-guard and a 24" barrel. This one filled the bill, and I bought it for $399. Someone had (poorly) applied a polyurethane finish and the first order of business was removing that. I used a 50/50 mix of lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol. I then gave the furniture three applications of 3-part hand-rubbing paste made of 1/3 BLO, 1/3 turpentine and 1/3 melted beeswax. I love how this finish looks and it's pretty easy to use. Obviously, the old rifle has lot's of honest wear, and some pitting on the receiver sides and rear part of the barrel. It came with Weaver scope bases that I've now removed. I think I'll try her with the open sights first before deciding on a scope. Friday, I bought the first 40 rounds of .300 Savage I've ever owned. Wow. Pretty pricey shooting for a non-handloader! Mechanically, the rifle seems fine and I'm looking forward to trying her out later this week. Here are some pcs, both before and after the refinish. Thanks for taking a look, and all comments are welcomed!
Gary

before:

raw furniture:

one application of 3-part mix:

finished rifle: