Thread: Model 12 Fast Twist

Question Model 12 Fast Twist

Hello all 41rem here.

I'm considering joining the Savage clan, been chatting with a fellow on an accuracy forum about his fast twist 22-250. It was a custom build using a model 12 action & Savage 26" stainless bull barrel 1 in 9 twist. I'm considering purchasing this rifle.

200 rounds downrange total, Bell & Carlson tactical stock, rifle basix trigger, TPS rail.

Have a few questions..

Owner stated the rifle is a 1/2 MOA gun, now I don't doubt that. Also stated it shoots bullet weights from 40-80 grains "well" am I to conclude that it stays in the 1/2 MOA range with all weights?

Also the action was "timed and trued" by Sharp Shooter Supply. What exactly does this entail?

My use for this rifle will be a dedicated long range coyote gun, I'll be looking to run heavy for caliber bullets such as the Berger VLD or A_Max in the 70-80 grain window.

Thanks for you time.

Last edited by 41rem; 11-24-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Basic Member
    Should be a shooter. What type of barrel?

In all likelihood, the rifle will shoot certain weights better than others. It will probably shoot all of them 'well enough,' but certain ones are going to outperform others. I would recommend asking him for the load data on that rifle, at least that will give you a baseline to start with.

Time & true basically just makes the action smoother (bolt lift/manipulation, etc.). Not exactly sure what it entails, but I'm sure Fred will tell you if you call. It's a very common service for Savage owners, and he definitely knows what he's doing.

Based on the brief description, it should serve you very well based on what you're looking to use it for.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

The barrel is from Savage, must their stock 26" fluted stainless. He probably ordered it at the same time as the M12 action.

Fred Moreo himself tells you what "Timing and Truing" is on a savage action.

Link

Well worth the effort I might add.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Fred Moreo himself tells you what "Timing and Truing" is on a savage action.LinkWell worth the effort I might add.
    Nice, there's my explanation.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41rem View Post
    ....... snip.............
    Owner stated the rifle is a 1/2 MOA gun, now I don't doubt that. Also stated it shoots bullet weights from 40-80 grains "well" am I to conclude that it stays in the 1/2 MOA range with all weights?

.......... snip.............
    If you make that assumption, you would be making a mistake. Ask the seller to define what he means by 1/2 MOA. For example, there is a HUGE difference between 3 and 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

My 1:9 twist .223 shoots 69gr bullets pretty well; well enough so that on a windless day I'm willing to slap a five dollar bill on the bench and invite you to pick it up if my next 5 shot group is worse than 1/2 MOA. BUT, and this is a big but, that only applies to my very best recipe. My particular gun shoots rounds between 40 and 75 grains pretty well, but it's bad with 77gr bullets and absolutely horrible with 80 grains. I'm certainly not willing to make that 1/2 MOA guarantee with other than my favorite 69gr recipe.

Ask the seller if he will bring his best loads to the range and shoot three five shot groups, one with 40gr, one with 80gr bullets and a third with the weight of his choice. Agree to pay his asking price plus a hundred bucks if all three shoot 1/2 MOA or better, but he must knock $100 bucks off his asking for for each group worse than 1/2 MOA, maximum deduction of three hundred bucks. I doubt if he would agree.

Shooting 5 shot 1/2 MOA groups with your best stuff on a good day isn't all that difficult. Doing it on demand is quite a bit more difficult, but doing so with both 40gr and 80gr bullets plus a third group with an intermediate weight on the first attempt is something I'd really like to see. If side bets are allowed, I'm all in.

Mozella, good point. This rifle is from out of state so we won't be meeting @ the range. I'll make sure and ask how well it shoots the high BC heavys before laying out my money.

If it will do a reliable five shot 3/4 MOA with a 75-80 grain tailored reload, then I'm in.

For my coyote endeavors it will come down to accurate range estimations & wind holds.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41rem View Post
    Mozella, good point. This rifle is from out of state so we won't be meeting @ the range. I'll make sure and ask how well it shoots the high BC heavys before laying out my money.

If it will do a reliable five shot 3/4 MOA with a 75-80 grain tailored reload, then I'm in.

For my coyote endeavors it will come down to accurate range estimations & wind holds.

Sorry, my previous advice was based on my (mistaken) assumption that you were talking about a .223. Do like my wife does and ignore everything I just said.

But the good news is if you aren't satisfied with the performance of the gun when you get it in hand, perhaps because the twist is too slow for the heavy bullets you want to shoot, it's a pretty simple matter to change the barrel on a Savage. I bought a wrench and a go-gauge and built a home built barrel vise from a stick of oak I purchased at Lowes. Chances are, if you have some friends who shoot Savages, you could borrow the equipment you need to swap barrels. That makes purchasing a rifle long distance much less risky in the long run.

Good luck. I hope the rifle shoots as well as you hope.