Thread: new MK II ammo preference? Agulia SSS?

romsisel

new MK II ammo preference? Agulia SSS?

I recently bought a MK II GL and have been play'n around with it and am gett'n frustrated. I've tried CCI blazer, federal lightning, CCI mini mag, and aguila subsonic 40gr. and it won't group better than 1.5" at 50 yards. Then on a whim remembered I had a box of some 60gr SSS aguila rounds and tried them and I got .5" groups at 50 yds(although POI is lower and to the right). I have never got them to shot that good in anything else. I was thinking that this rifle should do better with the common hi-velocity ammo. At first I thought I had something wrong with the optics or the rifle but it has shown it is capable of accuracy, just with odd ball bullets. Has anyone seen this before?

Re: new MK II ammo preference? Agulia SSS?

My Mark II likes the Remington Subsonic loads the best. go figure.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

82boy

Most MKII's do well with Wolf match or SK match ammo. My shoots well with Lapua Master L. Out of the list you have, I cant say I have gotten any of them to shoot well in any rifle I own. Federal lighting would be the best out of the list, it shoots OK out of my 87A Springfield auto.

PBinWA

Mine seems to do well with CCI "Target" ammo. I typically shoot the shorts out of it because I'm shooting in my backyard and they aren't too noisy. I can get nice tight groups at 25 yards and decent groups at 50 if the wind isn't too bad.

Golfbuddy45

Re: new MK II ammo preference?

::) :D

When you speak of problems with certain ammo what specifically is the problem? I can understand issues in Semi-autos with blow-back pressure and extractors
    but I would think a bolt action could handle 99.9% of any .22LR ammo.

??? ;D ???

Re: new MK II ammo preference?

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbuddy45
    ::) :D

When you speak of problems with certain ammo what specifically is the problem? I can understand issues in Semi-autos with blow-back pressure and extractors
    but I would think a bolt action could handle 99.9% of any .22LR ammo.

??? ;D ???
    The bolt action can "handle" pretty much any ammo as far as function, the question is what type of ammo it likes best. Variables include bullet shape, seating depth (or more importantly the distance the bullet has to move before it engraves into the rifling), bullet weight, along with various powder and primer compositions can have a significant effect on accuracy. Some rifles will shoot pretty much anything with fair accuracy while some are very picky, even among different rifles of the same brand and model. Beyond that is consideration of the expected accuracy, i.e. do you expect to be able to hit a soda can or a clay pigeon at 50 yards consistently, or do you expect to fire five shots through the same hole. The tighter the expectations, the more important the ammo choice.

zukman

I have 8 Mark II rifles and they all like the 60g sss. I hav 2 tr's, 1 is zeroed in at 200 yrds and the other is at 50 yrds both useing the sss ammo. I let a friend borrow them when I was outof town last week and he was ammazed how well they shoot.