Thread: last 1000yd F-class of the year...

LongRange

last 1000yd F-class of the year...

and not one of my better days lol...my first string was really bad and it was all me...second string had me questioning my load but after watching the shooters that normally shoot 595s to 600s having the EXACT same POI shifts i knew it wasnt my load...the flags were ALL hanging straight down but there was some kinda up and down drafts going on..everything calmed down on my last string and things went a little better just to late to pull it outta the crapper.

You probably shot that off of a bipod ...?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

LongRange
    yep...and a $9 dollar cladwell rabbit ear bag....the first string was all me no excuses...i was shooting target #17 but was shooting from the #16 spot which is a bad spot..i had also made a few stock adjustments on saturday that didnt work out so well so i adjusted back...string two was just unpredictable...like i said the flags were all hanging straight down and everyone that shot during that time(relay #3 and relay #1)had the same exact POI shifts...fire a round and it would be low...make the adjustment and the next one way high...half way back to adjustment 1 and high again...after about 4 rounds i quit chasing it and just shot...my 3rd string wasnt great but it did tell me my load is good just need more trigger time with this new-er set up.

I figured. So you were competing against guys with 1200 dollars worth of rests in Open..?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

LongRange
    at least...if i had to guess id say some of the equipment i shoot next to runs $10k+...this should give you an idea....

both of these riffles are exactly the same and both are topped with 80x march scopes and full custom built.

Basic Member
    Must be nice lol
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Big, big bucks there! No way I could ever afford set ups like that on a retired income, LOL!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

LongRange
    you dont really need a super high end rig to compete...there was a couple of guys shooting factory savage 6.5 creeds in the 600yd match the day before this match...both had 140 rounds through the barrels,both just started loading the week before,both were nervous and they shot in the 560s...i expect both guys to be pretty competitive this year.

Basic Member
    So how did the bells and whistles scores stack up to the other scores?
    Did they win?

LongRange
    you know the answer to that but yes the high end rifles DOMINATE the line..BUT if you read my post i said TO COMPETE not TO WIN.

Basic Member
    Hope to shoot my first match this year... I've tried to set a realistic and achievable goal of 160-170 per set..

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    Hope to shoot my first match this year... I've tried to set a realistic and achievable goal of 160-170 per set..
    dont ever set your goals low because that will make you happy if you meet them...if you set them high and fail it only makes you try harder to better yourself!!

Basic Member
    LR

Have you had an opportunity to look through one the March scopes to determine how they compare to other high end scopes?
    I have a 50x March bookmarked versus a Leupold 45x for a possible buy for a 6br that I am working on.

Bob

LongRange
    i have...buy the march if you have the money...ive looked through several high end scopes and the march scopes are nice and very clear on the higher powers and so are the 12-42 nightforce scopes...heres and idea of what looking through a march is like at 1000yds...should help you decide....just keep in mind that the BR scopes are just that...the reticales are very thin and not the best choice for other types of shooting.

https://youtu.be/03qtXpoObfM

Basic Member
    LR Thanks for the info and the vid link.