Thread: The Strength of a Browning Action

The Strength of a Browning Action

I was at my friends machine shop a week ago having him rechamber a barrel for me. While there, an acquaintance of his came in with his son and a Browning A-Bolt in 270 Win locked up tighter than a drum. Fella said his 12 yr old son had been using the rifle that morning and had shot at a buck when it locked up tight and darned near knocked him out of the stand. We asked it the boy had used a handload but the fella said no, it was factory ammunition.

After completing the chambering of my barrel later, we had a chance to look at the Browning. Long story short, we had to use a leather mallet on the bolt handle to get the action open. When it did pop open, the case head fell out of the action along with the fired primer. I picked up the case head and immediately saw it was an RP case with 308 Win head stamp!

My friend had to use his 270 chamber reamer to remove approximately 80% of the case thickness before the case body finally released from the chamber wall using a hooked tool he had made to bite into that remainder of the case. Of course, the 308 case had been blown straight wall in the longer chamber. It's amazing the rifle held together while swaging the 308 bullet down to .277! A thorough check of the rifle and a test fire showed no damage to the rifle. I'm totally impressed by Browning quality and strength.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

PTL he was not hurt.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Yes, he's one lucky young man.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I bet he pays more attention to ammunition matching the firearm being used next time. Glad he wasn't hurt.

Basic Member
    That happened back around 2008 to a Rem700, but that pill didn't make it down the pipe before it split open and split the stock. The case head welded to the bolt face. I think the shooter had a slight injury to his hand, but that was about it. With a new bolt that action was also salvaged. It was estimated the parts that failed did so at about 110,000psi ! This gives me comfort when I consider some of my "hot" loads :-).

Yes, I have always known Brownings to be well built. :-)