Thread: Long Action Centerfeed using Short Action Mags

frazer

Long Action Centerfeed using Short Action Mags

Ok so I have a hypotheical situation that I am curious if anyone else has tried or thought of.

I want to have a multi caliber switch barrel system and use a long action centerfeed rifle so I can shoot both short and long action calibers.
    I want to ba able to feed short action calibers from a magazine reliably so for that reason I think using a short action mag would be best.
    The question is:
    since the 220F savage Slug gun uses a long action bottom metal but is inletted for short action mags, could you use a bottom metal from a 220f in a regular long action rifle(110) and would it feed cartridges from the short action centerfeed mag?

Team Savage

Re: Long Action Centerfeed using Short Action Mags

I've had no problems with reliable feeding in a Savage LA centerfeed using .243, .260, .308 or and .338-06 barrels. But this is with a blind magazine stock. With a blind magazine centerfeed stock you could make an extended L-clip and attach to a SA magazine. But I did not like the L-clip and removed it. I then used plumber epoxy on the bottom corners of the magazine and Velcro on the side to properly position the magazine in the stock. Place a spacer (business card) between the bolt and magazine and tape in proper position to action. Put a small ball of plumber epoxy on each corner of the magazine and then attach stock to action. This will form place holders in the stock for the SA and LA magazines. Add Velcro to the sides to help hold firmly in place, but still allow removal. I don't see why you could not position a SA magazine and LA magazine to use interchangeable in the same LA centerfeed stock.

I'm not sure you would have as much flexability with a DBM and HFP stock.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by frazer
    Ok so I have a hypotheical situation that I am curious if anyone else has tried or thought of.

I want to have a multi caliber switch barrel system and use a long action centerfeed rifle so I can shoot both short and long action calibers.
    I want to ba able to feed short action calibers from a magazine reliably so for that reason I think using a short action mag would be best.
    The question is:
    since the 220F savage Slug gun uses a long action bottom metal but is inletted for short action mags, could you use a bottom metal from a 220f in a regular long action rifle(110) and would it feed cartridges from the short action centerfeed mag?
    No....it is completely different.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

rickt300

Where can I get a short action magazine for a centerfeed stock? Cost?

Team Savage

If you currently have a SA centerfeed DBM or a HFP magazine, you can just remove the magazine from the bottom hardware and use (Same part used as blind magazine). Contact Savage Arms or Sharp Shooters Supply and purchase one. Or go to on-line and buy an extra DBM for a Savage SA centerfeed and just remove the bottom plate.

lostart

Can you really fit a short action dbm into a long action stock? That would be really convenient.

Basic Member

Has anybody bothered to read this?http://savageshooters.com/index.php?...%20Conversions
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

lostart

Fred,

I have read that article several times and now again. And a good article it is, but it doesn't say if a short mag will fit in LA stock.

frazer

Yes, I too had read the magazine conversion article. I read the article about the 220F SlugGun and saw the picture of the 220F, model 110, and model 10 detachable bottom metal all lined up side by side and wondered if the 220F bottom metal would work in a model 110 so you could use short action mags for the smaller cartridges. Sounds like it wont work anyway, but my curoisity got the best of me and I had to ask.