Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lots of Savage Hate at Snipershide

Matt52

I just bought a Model 12 LRP in .260 remington mounted a Vortex Razor HD 5-25 to it and with my initial loading I'm getting .4 moa groups consistently and some .3 moa groups. I'm a "noob" in the precision game and have only been reloading a couple years. So I'll call that impressive!

Basic Member
    People that rag on Savage rifles probably haven't spent much trigger time w/ nor let alone owned one.

The only Remington I've owned (700 SPS Tac .223) had feeding issues right out of the box, was immediately recalled for the trigger, terrible customer service and shot 1.2 MOA at best with factory match ammo. My Savage shot 1/2 MOA out of the box, reliable as any bolt action can be, and their customer service is top notch. So the one model Remington I had undershot the first savage I owned, was unreliable, and the manufacturer has bad customer service...

That's a tough decision but I guess (place inaudible sarcastic smirk here) I'll let the remy fans out there keep spending thousands of dollars in upgrades just to get their rifle to function. Ruger on the other hand, my SS Ruger Gun Sight Scout shoots MOA with iron sights and the bolt is saaaweeeet... No complaints on the Rugers.

Basic Member
    Not to mention home built stock Savage bolted action rifles have won national tournaments... badoom

Team Savage
    And it continues........

"I don't think the Savage Stealth is comparable to the RPR. It's just an ugly savage dropped into a ugly chassis. nothing "new" really."
    "
    Fully agreed. lipstick on a pig."

Quote Originally Posted by stevenc23 View Post
    And it continues........

"I don't think the Savage Stealth is comparable to the RPR. It's just an ugly savage dropped into a ugly chassis. nothing "new" really."
    "
    They aren't wrong.

The BA Stealth is a stupidly low cost, low risk way to try and snag some RPR sales without putting any significant time or money into product development.

That isn't to say the BA Stealth won't shoot...but it is ugly and there really isn't anything "new" there - certainly nothing like the RPR.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    They aren't wrong.

The BA Stealth is a stupidly low cost, low risk way to try and snag some RPR sales without putting any significant time or money into product development.

That isn't to say the BA Stealth won't shoot...but it is ugly and there really isn't anything "new" there - certainly nothing like the RPR.
    Not sure how you can say that since the rifle and full specs have yet to be released. From at least one source it seems a lot of time and effort were put in to this rifle. https://www.drakeassociates.us/savage-history/

And who cares if it is ugly if it performs well for its intended roll. Personally I want a firearm that performs well and could give a hoot if some think it is ugly.

It may turn out to be a turd but at least wait until we get a hands on and put it through its paces.

Basic Member
    The BA Stealth is only ugly because they want it to be. I've even talked to one who thought it was ugly before he had even seen it. You guys need to quit calling it hate and start calling it Savage envy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenc23 View Post
    And it continues........

"
    Some people should probably just stop thinking

Basic Member

LongRange
    now thats funny Rob...i wonder what Chuck Norris shoots?

Basic Member
    'MERICA!

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    'MERICA!

Chuck Norrises razor...and it don't look like it was any match for his beard!!

Basic Member
    About the only nice feature of the RPR over the Savage BA Stealth, is the greater availability of magazines. Looks are a subjective matter and I like the minimalist approach of the LSS XL chasis that Savage went with. The rifle looks very similar to Mossberg MVP-LC. It looks like the Mossberg can be had for ~$1000 but isn't that popular, and is limited to 308win. At least, I don't know of many people talking about it. The RPR can be had around ~$1300, takes AR mags, and has the 243, 6.5creed, and 308win.

Savage will release this rifle in more calibers. 308win, 6.5creed, 300win mag, and 338lp. What I wish Savage will do is release the BA Stealth in left hand.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/110-ba-stealth/

Gun prices were acquired from gunbroker.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    The stealth BA will still have the one Savage know weak point if trying to run it against the RPR or other high ends. That's feeding, extracting, and ejecting. Savage is my first choice for an accurate low end single shot or hunting setup. High end competition needs more reliable operation thanks the Savage design can offer. Show me a video of a Savage getting off 8-10 shots in 30secs without some sort of issue. Maybe there's a few out there that have a Savage Rifle that's capable, but in my experience the Savage design fails as soon as you need a fast repeater.

Other than that I always found them to be just as accurate as high end Rifles when using a high end barrel. Grouping well at 100yds and beyond is one thing, but consistent operation is another.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    The stealth BA will still have the one Savage know weak point if trying to run it against the RPR or other high ends. That's feeding, extracting, and ejecting. Savage is my first choice for an accurate low end single shot or hunting setup. High end competition needs more reliable operation thanks the Savage design can offer. Show me a video of a Savage getting off 8-10 shots in 30secs without some sort of issue. Maybe there's a few out there that have a Savage Rifle that's capable, but in my experience the Savage design fails as soon as you need a fast repeater.

Other than that I always found them to be just as accurate as high end Rifles when using a high end barrel. Grouping well at 100yds and beyond is one thing, but consistent operation is another.
    Thats a pretty stout statement... The only bolt action I've had fail to feed was my 700... Ruger does have practice with that Mauser action design so you could be right but that's a big could. According to Drake associates and savage, they've matched all Stealth components and blueprinted/lapped them for perfect fit and function.
    Last edited by Russmerle; 02-16-2016 at 01:45 AM.

Basic Member
    I've seen it with R700's, but mostly with Savages time and time again. Especially when desert sand is introduced. It's not that the guys running Savages can't shoot, it's simply in the environment and requirements of a high level Precision Rifle Match they spend more time dealing with feeding, ejection, and extraction issues than any other action I've seen. I ran a Shilen DGR thinking it would solve the issue, but it is the bolt head design that holds the system back. I'll stand behind my statement because I've experienced this with 3 different Savage actions as well as the Shilen action. This is why I now run a custom action. It was never a lack of accuracy, but reliable operation.

I don't hate Savages or the Shilen DGR I just understand their limitations after pushing them in an attempt to be competitive.

If you can't get your shots off within the required time limit you simply can't score enough points to compete.

Basic Member
    Dang... now that is not reassuring. I'm going to do the ten rounds in 30 seconds now to see what I come up with. I've never run my rigs that hard so I'll have to see. Thanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by Russmerle; 02-16-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Basic Member
    In a controlled environment (i.e. at the range), the chance of you experiencing an issue is far less than it would be during the rigors of tactical comps...

It has more to do with the potential for sand/dirt/debris getting lodged in the action. Pair those things with the heat from firing multiple rounds in a short amount of time (and as a result, the increased pressure of firing those subsequent rounds), it's not really a surprise why most guys shy away from Savages for that type of shooting.

F-Class/Benchrest is a different story.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Good input Winnie! The end state for me was I just didn't have 100% confidence in my gear once I was outside of the controlled environment. After making the switch that all changed. I get up to the line and I'm fully focussed on shooting rather than trying to prep everything just right in order to try to avoid the inevitable.

Going back to the RPR. The 3 lug design and the way the bolt is contained is a solid place to start. Make a few upgrades and it only gets better and more reliable.

If I was starting over or just getting into the sport it's exactly where I would start. I ended up building on a Mausingfield M5 action built by American Rifle Company. My reasoning was to delete all the areas where I have seen other actions fail. So, far I can't complain. Only issue I've had was a new Alpha mag was a little tight when stuffed with a full 10rds and took a little extra effort to strip the first 2 off the mag. Other than that it's effortless to cycle.

Basic Member
    I don't like where this conversation is going... My Remington sps tactical wouldnt cycle at the range without fixing (still not reassured it's 100%) and my savage LA and SA builds will probably fail when it matters most (not that I'm going into combat with them but still). My SIG SSG3K has had no problems so maybe just stick with her... Sad face

Basic Member
    They aren't bad rifles, you just have to respect their limitations.

swamphonkey
    I judge a rifle by how well it shoots. Then all the other stuff comes in like all the Foofoo stuff. I may be old school and cheap. But I have owned hundreds of firearms. the only Ruger I really like are my 454 pistol and my 2 mini 14 and my 10/22. I GAVE my lam stock m77 270 away it didnt shoot worth owning. I had a little 243 m77 that shot OK. But not Great. When the Avg guy gets a Rifle he is not getting the Top end High pression stuff. He is getting what they sell off the shelf in the box stores 80 perc of the time.Ruger came into Savage lane with the American (and I like it the ones Ive shot are shooters) you have a whole gen of guys now thats forgotten what comes first hitting the target. And savage does it!
    All these "Factory" Custom Off the shelf rifles lol. Go get a real custom go get something like a Carolina custom or even a Mcwhorter then talk about how big your d,.k is or your wallet. But when the old dude with his 800$ home made build out shoots ya. Rember rule #1 hitting where you want and Savage does it very well. All the rest is levi wrangler or ford chevy bull crap.

Team Savage
    Its like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going: http://www.scout.com/military/sniper...e/ms/182327928

My favorite: "No contest the Ruger is everything the savage is not and then some ... We had a longer discussion about this and from every angle the Ruger wins"

Frank must own stock in Ruger
    Last edited by stevenc23; 03-31-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

If only if Howa had a 1 1/16 X 20 or 1 1/8 x 20 thread.
    Why are 26x1.5 metric threads a deal-breaker?

Its funny that when pointing to the shortcoming of the Savage action people start bashing Remington. The point is, the custom ARC action is not even in the same league as a completely worked Remington or Savage. Like saying you turboed your Mustang and you start looking for a Bugatti Veyron SS to compare yourself to.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast