Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lots of Savage Hate at Snipershide

Strutnut

I am over there a bit and yeah, they have their flavor of the month and its not Savage but its also not any other off the shelf brands either. This Ruger is the first one they jumped on as its easy to customize and it is a really good offering. I am not too worried about it. My 700 dollar Savage Bear hunter works for me and I would rather put money into the optic than spend double the amount + to get a rifle that is MAYBE .25 moa better than what I have. If I was shooting PRS matches on a budget, yeah, I would have the Ruger too. MY favorite site is Long Range Hunting and there is a bit of love for the Savages there. Several that own them promote them openly. Apparently that 6.5 Longe Range Hunter and the 6.5 predator hunters are really really good!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Custom Shop?
    You mean Special order shop? It's my understanding they don't have a custom shop but instead have a special order shop that will mix and match off the shelf parts.
    FTR's are factory offerings and it's my understanding they are off the rack rifles.

Most any firearms site is gonna have brand loyalists. Though I have multiple brands and platforms I am a rabid Savageaholic.
    One of my favorite things to do is put tiny groups on paper with a factory sporter hunting rifle and some good hand loads tuned for it. Even better if it's an old flatback sporter that has some spray paint on it, some JB weld between the action and the stock, and a piece of music wire from the hardware store on the trigger. This quite often results in amusing antics, excuses and rhetoric from those that are convinced that all it takes is cash.
    Opinions are like armpits (or something like that) everybody has em and everybody elses stinks.
    You cant fix what is broken on the internet and you'll go crazy if you try.
    Sure, whatever you want to call it. I have a feeling that the Savage F-Class team's rifles are probably tweaked just a hair, not just something you can go pick up at Dick's.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    Sure, whatever you want to call it. I have a feeling that the Savage F-Class team's rifles are probably tweaked just a hair, not just something you can go pick up at Dick's.
    I would imagine all the manufacturers do just "a little" tweeking...
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by culpeper View Post
    The Hide isn't like the previous version. Mainly a few select vendors posting along with their fans. Anyway, it is mainly PRS rifling now. No longer a place for Savages. 90% of their current members rarely shoot past 100 yards if at all. For most it is all about how much they can spend just to figure out they can't buy their way on target. Just check out the ridiculous optics thread, the 100 yard challenge, and the dead 500 yard one too. I got disgusted and deleted any posts I made with the thread still on page one after more than a year. I wouldn't worry about what the uninformed masses say about Savage. All of the board's knowledge base split when it moved to the new Scout format. Links on the Internet for the old site take you to the Scout homepage so there goes that knowledge base as well. The old site is archived under a different url. Nevertheless, still some good folks posting something useful but a pain to try and find with Scout's asinine search function and all the meaningless noise taking up bandwidth on the few forums that are active. If you want to run around shooting out of fake windows than The Hide is the place to be. They don't know anything about a Savage rifle.

What is really going on at the Hide is the blog section. The forums are merely an attraction for new people to subscribe.
    A little bitter are we? LOL Come on back over. Yes the site is a little more difficult to get around and the search does suck big time but there are still people who like Savages. Not as many as here as this is a Savage forum but plenty of Savage shooter there.
    Last edited by Rob01; 11-25-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    I used to dabble into ar-15 .com yrs back but I decided to use common sense and bail.

would get a bit ugly at times with members. ive heard the same thing about the hide. I never looked into it though. probably never will
    You should stop back over in the Precision Rifle section. Better than it used to be. http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/16_Precision_Rifles.html

Basic Member
    Rob you have to admit it has become "this vs that" nonsense taking up most of the bandwidth and it is a crying shame most of the talent R-U-N-N-O-F-T but even you have to be getting tired of correcting half the posts on mounting a scope each time the topic shows up on page one of the threads for that particular forum because nobody can find the previous one. Or the obvious popular answer to every reloading problem is to buy a different die set. It is just the same misinformation over and over again. Hardly a repository of a wealth of information any longer.

Basic Member
    A little oversimplified but yes there are a lot of the same questions from time to time because of the search feature being so weak. Basically have to pick which is worth the time to help and answer. The answer isn't always new dies. There's still a decent knowledge base over there but not as deep as years back. Some of us are still holding on.

Scout has sucked for the average forum member...terrible UI and as mentioned, complaints about search (or lack thereof) has largely fallen on deaf ears.

ARF is better...but its still ARF.

The Hide is a great resource, you just gotta separate wheat from chaff and the know somethings from the interweb know-it-allz.

Basic Member
    I remember seeing some useful stuff there before the switch but I didn't shoot much long range or have a "precision rifle" so I just wound up there after Google searches.

I'm not surprised that its full of armchair commandos now.

Why lie? I'm an armchair commando too but I don't think I'm terribly biased.

I like the RPR, I appreciate the Remington 700 for what it is and I can appreciate a high dollar custom too but being cheap at heart I want all the performance at half the price which led me here.

I think the advantage here is that you don't get the "me too" crowd that gravitates to $7,000 customs.

You get the $1,500 custom crowd and the $300, a file, some music wire and JB Weld crowd and a lot of people in between who just want a rifle that shoots. I like that crowd.

Basic Member
    Some people have been doing this decades longer than you Flyer and have been through the phase you are in and have moved on to bigger and better options so don't look to harshly on the people with higher end customs and assume they are snobs or arm chair commandos as it might be you in 10 years being called the same by a guy new to the sport.

Basic Member
    Not all are snobs, some people are serious enough and shoot well enough that a $7,000 custom rifle is justified. Some people spend more than that but you never hear about it.

What I don't like are people who go out and buy that custom and then disrespect someone who can make a $1,500 or less rifle shoot.

I know people have been shooting and smithing for centuries before I started. I like old school. That's why I bought a Swenson custom 1911 a few years ago. The other reason is that I can't afford a Valtro and to be honest, if the Swenson wasn't cheap it would have found another home.

I try not to be a 1911 snob too, I'm working (slowly) on a Norinco custom. Their frames and slides were well made and properly heat treated despite being Chinese copies. I tried to work on a Charles Daly 1911 from the Philippines but it was so far out of spec that I gave up and bought that Norinco to fool around with.

I think a person that buys a Savage for the value or because they think they can improve it with DIY gunsmithing is pretty smart.

Team Savage
    Seems to be the same at the 6Br forum

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer View Post
    I think a person that buys a Savage for the value or because they think they can improve it with DIY gunsmithing is pretty smart.
    This is the part that is overlooked on SH. As I said before, there are a lot of good shooters and knowledgeable dudes over there. Only problem is for every good guy, there's a dozen polecats. Guys that buy expensive gear because they think that's the only way to get the best performance. I have no problem with guys that shoot $7k custom rigs and know how to use them, but the elitist mentality there is very prevalent when half the guys that own that AI's and full customs don't know what a dope chart is or how to use one.

Could I afford to build one of those rifles? Proabably. Do I want to buy one? Absolutely! But do I really need to when my $1,500 Savage will put 5 in the same hole at 200 yards? Nope. Different strokes for different folks I guess, Savage guys are just a little smarter than the rest
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    ......Savage guys are just a little smarter than the rest
    Best line EVER! 😉
    Scooter

Basic Member
    I'm waiting for the day when good gunsmiths start putting 783 bolts and Remage barrels in their Remington 700 customs.

Its kind of like Ford vs Chevy. Ask any Chevy guy and they will say the Ford Windsor (260, 289, 302, 351, 5.0) V8 is junk and then get really defensive when you point out that the LS1 is pretty much a straight Windsor copy to the point that the cylinder heads are almost compatible.

Basic Member
    I walked into a gun shop once who were bashing Savage. I asked a pointed question: If you time and true both the remington and savage actions, screw on a high quality aftermarket barrel like a Brux barrel, install a quality aftermarket trigger, quality scope base, quality scope rings, and a quality scope, using reloads tuned to the rifle, which one will shoot better. The folks behind the gun counter said that remington would shoot better. Oh well, these are the same people that said you can get 25000 rounds out a 50bmg and that the 26 nosler has a better life than a 260rem or 6.5 creedmoor. Unfortunately it's not just forums that have an elitist attitude, it's also some stores.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    I like the Hide,you just have to wade through all the BS. There are brand snobs on every forum,I just let it have zero effect about what I choose to shoot.
    If you have rifles that shoot great,what difference does it matter what brand is stamped on the receiver.

I love it when some guy (Semper Fi)can come up with the stuff I read some time ago but couldn't find for a million bucks. I just went to the electroniic target demo at Lodi and the software wiz kid ( a nice guy) was shooting 10s and Xs, maybe a couple 9s, with a Savage FT-R. There were a lot of Savages there. Place was full of Nat'l and World class shooters and coaches.
    John
    That was WBM that pulled up the AccurateShooter articles
    Last edited by JohnMill; 12-08-2015 at 02:13 AM.

Basic Member
    Savage needs to do something with the bolt head extractor. Fix that and then things will change. It is the weakest part and biggest joke on the design.

Twinsen
    Well, as a guy that has bought 3 Savages, I completely understand the disrespect.

110 FCP-HS in 338 LM:
    -Over the first 200 rounds I had one group at 0.98" and the rest between 1.03" and 1.20". Just this past week did I actually get her to shoot, and it was by swapping to a new bullet. I now love this rifle.

10 FCP-SR in 308 Win
    -Didn't like any bullets or loads, not accurate
    -Bolt binds up very often
    -Class 2A tennon threads
    -Class 1A muzzle threads
    -Completely worthless DBM
    -Accustock has a drop in the comb for the use of iron sights, which none of these rifles have
    -Accustock requires weird recoil lug that only exists to fit over 2A threads even though all aftermarket barrels are 3A
    -Accutrigger catastrophic failure last time I took it out. I need to figure out what parts are missing so I can get the rifle to fire again.
    -Smoothe barrel nut. WHY?!
    -0 MOA rail included, so you pay extra for a rail you get to replace
    -Doesn't feed from AICS 223 mags after 223 conversion

11 Trophy Hunter XP in 223 Rem
    -1:9 barrel twist
    -Axis magazine
    -Axis bolt parts
    -Junk stock
    -Doesn't work with CDI bottom metal
    -Bottom bolt release for no ****ing reason at all
    -Smooth barrel nut
    -1 MOA on a good day

Honestly, until Tuesday, I hadn't seen a Savage shoot decent. Now I have seen two good three round groups. None of them function worth a **** except for the 110 which is flawless and smoothe. The Trophy Hunter action is as good as getting slapped in the face and the FCP-SR action is as good as falling down a flight of stairs and into a tiger pit and then being lit on fire and pooped on. It is a total piece of junk and anyone that bought that rifle and then swore off Savage for life would be completely warranted to do so.

I understand that a lot of you guys see how a Savage could be great, if you dodge the minefield of terrible models that you know to avoid. You guys know which parts to throw out and how to go about upgrading them. But from the outside looking in, if you buy a new rifle and you can't get a cartridge from the magazine into the chamber, you aren't going to like that company. When I was trying to get that FCP-SR to work, I got ragged on by all my friends at the range. Like 10 guys swore off Savage after seeing how that thing functions. I thought I had it ready to go last week, and then the accutrigger fell apart.

I appreciate the 338 I have and if it continues to shoot sub half MOA, I'll keep her forever and go through barrels and tell everybody how wonderful it is. But the other two... WTF Savage. Get your act together.

Basic Member
    I find Savages rifles good to go out of the box - my Axis isn't perfect (trigger/stock) but it shoots and that is what guns are supposed to do - at the range (100 yards) shot a couple .61 groups (including a flyer) could spend more for a cosmetically nicer looking brand rifle but why? I do own the recently bashed 10-FCP-SR which in my opinion is a great rifle - in the right hands and with out a doubt very accurate as gun costing twice as much. I own an original 93R17 non-accutrigger very good flat shooting rimfire - does have the plastic trigger guard but it shoots well. In the end if you rather be seen with a cool looking expensive gun that is your choice - I rather have something that shoots very good out of the box with little to no modifications. You will never get back the money you put into your rifle so spend as little as possible and the extra funds put it into reloading equipment. In the end to each their own and good luck to all that put $$$ into their rigs. It does not matter to the paper target or varmint anyway what holed them.

Basic Member
    Well I haven't posted here for a while and I'm not defending SH but I've shot in quite a few matches with those boys and they are SHOOTERS and that's just a fact.
    They are a great bunch of people that are serious about their shooting skills. I had a savage built by the custom shop just so could pretend to play the game with them. At my age I don't need to dump the big bucks on a real custom but I love to go to the matches and shoot. Nobody puts you down and you can ask anyone advise and they'll help you out. I have never been told that I need to buy brand x. They all say run what you brung and get trigger time and have fun. they come together to shoot and beat the other guy. I will say this one thing, the price of the guns they shoot is nothing compared to the time, money and dedication they put in to make them the best they can be. The Precision Rifle matches in fact should be called The Precision Shooters matches.
    Anyway if you are young and end up shooting with these boys you'll ,in time, get the best to compete with. Until then just shoot what works for You!

Basic Member
    Pretend to play the game with SH by using a Savage? Just who and what are you talking about over there anyway?

Sniper hide is the reason I bought my first savage. They talked pretty highly about them back about 15 years ago . They built some 260s called the ghost dancers.

Basic Member
    I'm a member on SH as well and enjoy it, but I can tell I'll fit right in here.

Shooting is like so many other hobbies; the guy with the most quality range time (track time, flight time, etc) wins. With sites like ARFCOM and SH I'm always surprised at how little attention the shooting threads get. The MOA challenge thread is nearly dead, but the "Is Bushmaster garbage?" thread will run to a dozen pages.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast