Thread: Savage axis 2 Boyd's stock mag problems help please !

Buckrunner12

Savage axis 2 Boyd's stock mag problems help please !

I recently ordered a short action forest camo thin hole stock for my savage axis 2 .308. The stock looks and appears to fit great except the mag doesn't latch all the way... It makes a slight click but when you shoot the mag falls out. You can reach through the action and lightly press on it and it also falls out. Have contacted Boyd's and have gotten some terrible customer service.. All they seem to be worried about it telling me that I can't return the stock. I never mentioned returning I just want to know what needs to be done to get the mag to completely latch.. I am using the factory magazine that came with savage axis 2. Has anyone had this problem and solved the issue ?

Tamusdh
    I ran into the same issue with my 1st Boyd's stock (Prairie Hunter) for my Axis 308 HB. The mag was tough to seat. Ended up returning the stock due to a manufacture deficiency. Under recoil the lug slot was over milled which allowed the action to shift under recoil. This ended up wedging the mag in the mag slot and could not be removed without loosening the screws. Just got my replacement stock in and again had the same issue with the hard seat of the mag. The recoil shift is fixed but I ended up lightly sanding the top of the Boyd's supplied plastic mag retention clip in order to allow full engagement of the Axis mag. Now it works as designed. Boyd's customer service was great through the whole process.

Team Savage
    I have a fe of these. I have had to file the plastic retaining pieces a little bit on most all of them as well. It's not a big deal and doesn't take much time. Good luck..

Buckrunner12
    Quote Originally Posted by bc160 View Post
    I have a fe of these. I have had to file the plastic retaining pieces a little bit on most all of them as well. It's not a big deal and doesn't take much time. Good luck..

There was no need to order the bottom metal plate from savage though correct ?

Team Savage
    That's correct. You don't have to order anything additional. On the magazine itself you will see a lip that snaps under the plastic piece in the stock. This is what secures it from falling out. If you file the lip down a little bit on the magazine it will then snap into place under the piece on the stock. This will secure it and not let the mag fall out.
    Basically the mag is not going into the stock far enough to catch and lock in place. This has worked for me on at least 3 boyds stocks including 2 thumbholes

Make sure that the plastic latch plate in the stock is fully seated. The plate can be offset enough to prevent magazine lockup but still allow the action screw to pass through. I had one that was getting caught up on a tiny splinter of wood in its groove. I tapped the plate out, scraped the groove clean, and tapped it back in. I didn't even glue it.

Jay24bal
    +1 to the filing recommendation. I have 4 Axis rifles in Boyds stocks, and 3 of them are still operating as magazine fed. 2 of the 3 required the same filing to get the magazine to fully seat.

Buckrunner12
    Quote Originally Posted by bc160 View Post
    That's correct. You don't have to order anything additional. On the magazine itself you will see a lip that snaps under the plastic piece in the stock. This is what secures it from falling out. If you file the lip down a little bit on the magazine it will then snap into place under the piece on the stock. This will secure it and not let the mag fall out.
    Basically the mag is not going into the stock far enough to catch and lock in place. This has worked for me on at least 3 boyds stocks including 2 thumbholes
    Thank you, I did as you all said in filing down the plastic insert from Boyd's and it now it latches shut rather hard but it latches nontheless. Appreciate the responses!!

Basic Member
    so wait a minute. the original poster said Boyds said he cant return it because of their mess up? wow that's some horrible CS.

chef matt
    Really good info, i just ordered a Axis stock from Boyds Long action .270 Win

Quote Originally Posted by ohihunter2014 View Post
    so wait a minute. the original poster said Boyds said he cant return it because of their mess up? wow that's some horrible CS.
    When I called, the Boyd's CS rep told me the same thing. They don't consider the failure of the mag to latch to be their problem. She didn't even want to discuss it. Likewise they don't consider the Axis front receiver screw being too short in their stock to be their problem. The CS rep didn't want to discuss that problem either. She just said, "Is there anything else you need to get help with because those aren't issues with our stock." I guess these things fall under "some fitment may be required."

Fortunately for me, the OP and a host of other people, you guys are here and already did all of the R&D on fixing these non-problems so I didn't have to throw a fit with Boyd's.

40bullzi
    Buckrunner12, I had the same issue earlier this year. I made two videos and sent to Boyds. They did call me back and offered to replace and or check the stock out. They did say that "some fitting may be required", and this is posted on their website. I did do some light filing inside the mag well area and all is good now. I did not have to send it back, but I was ready to.

I don't know if you will be able to click on the videos, it not, just copy and paste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_frCRQzKPpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNvaf1Hcx4A