Thread: Axis questions for possible buyer

birdmove

Axis questions for possible buyer

I'm considering buying a new Axis, mostly for target shooting and experimenting with handloads. I'm retired and 62, and my dad staring me handloading (with STRICT supervision) at 14. Since, I've done a lot of load developement and handloading in a bunch of calibers for handguns and rifles. I sold most of my firearms when we moved to Hawaii in 2011.

One question I have is, would it be better to buy the Axis II XP that comes with the adjustable trigger and scope, or just go with the standard Axis? I know the scope is nowhere near top of the line. Should I just go for a heavy barrel model? I am not going to drop a bunch of money into the Axis. I'm no bench rest expert either, and am not expecting miracles from a $300-$450 blot action rifle.

And, yeah, I have considered a .22 long rifle, but, when I was a very active shooter on the mainland, I had no problem finding all kinds of different ammo to try. One can't order ammo, powder and such to be delivered to hawaii it seems. And, looking at the local gun stores here, they have a pitiful selection in .22lr. I can order bullets, brass (don't know about primers yet) though.

For my purposes, I figures .223 would be a good caliber. A very common caliber, and the bullets, brass, and powder capacity should make it a pretty thrifty way to go. I've not handloaded .223 before, but did load .222, .22 Hornet, .243, 30-30 and some others. I did, however, handload for 7mm TCU, which you start with .223 brass and open it up to 7mm. I also used to cast bullets, but have no plans to get back into that.

Remember, I'm going into this for fun. I love experimenting and the challenge of coming up with a load that might go .5 moa if I can do my job as a shooter. I don't have a lot to spend, but the Axis seems like a pretty solid gun fior an old geezer like me.

As to the caliber, I wouldn't mind working with a .243, as that is where it all began for me. Should I consider the .308? I'd like to choose a caliber with good chances of decent accuracy to start with.

Some of you may own an Axis in several calibers, and I'd love to hear what you have to say with comparing accuracy.

Reeseman
    If you are going to target shoot on a budget an Axis heavy barrel is the way to go . You can modify the stock trigger with a polish and spring change for next to nothing or put a Rifle Basix in it for about $100.00 . The heavy barrel models do not come with the Accu Trigger . I have one in .223 and it is very accurate and trouble free . Go on the Savage website for the calibers offered for the heavy barrel models .

birdmove
    Thanks! And, I see they are still having a rebate through Dec. 31st. Time for a trip to Hilo!!

chef matt
    I just bought a Savage Axis II XP, the weaver scope is good, ( I did sell it to a friend for 10 bucks, he is loving it on his AR) I got a .270 Win. The gun shoots 1/2 inch groups, when I do my part at 100 yards, but most are 1 to 1 1/2 inches, I reload for it though using a Sierra 140 Grain hollow point (.277), If you can find one for 350.00 or less, thats your toy.

Axis questions for possible buyer

I was in the same boat as you about six months ago. I went with the axis heavy barrel. I don't mind the extra 1.5 pounds seeing as I only use it as a target rifle. Also wanted to get a scope on my own rather than getting one in a combo rifle. Mine is in .223 and is more accurate than I could have hoped for.

I'm an Axis fan, but if you're willing to shoot .223 Rem or .308 Win, the best out-of-the-box Savage for the money is the 12FV. It's bigger and heavier than an Axis with a long, heavy barrel, Accutrigger, better plastic stock, and the inchoate benefits of being a 10 rather than an Axis. Still it's competitively priced with the Axis II XP though the 12FV does not include an optic.

If you're going to be hauling the rifle around, the 12FV might be a little cumbersome. The Axises make better guns to carry since they're light and handy.

rfd12fv
    definitely get the axis hb - and NOT the xp scoped one because you will NOT use that glass ever. i have the .223 version and could not be happier with it. get GOOD glass, it deserves that at the least. my .223 intent is long range for steel or varmints and i opted for a mueller 8-32x44 sf, but any GOOD glass 10x or larger would do just fine. you can do the axis trigger mod thingy to lighten the pull, i just went and got the basix trigger - well worth the added dollars, for me - 14oz pull. since i didn't want to change out the tupperware stock, also mandatory for me was to rockite both the fore and butt stocks, to stiffen the fore end and add adjustable weight to the rear end. the added bipod was optional, but something that i need and use. i also added an SSS single feed ramp and got rid of the magazine. i hand load using sierra match king 69's and varget powder. super accurate.

Basic Member
    Cabela's has a couple of good deals running on various Savage models right now. I saw standard Axis as low as $299, the 12FV for $499, as well as the 'tactical' Model 10T for $499. All are great options depending on what you're wanting to do with the rifle.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

birdmove
    I'm on the big island of Hawaii, and we don't have a Cabela's here. We have very few gun shops, but do have a Sports Authority in Hilo.

rfd12fv, your heavy barrel model looks great. I think I may want a bi-pod also.

And DrThunder, I'll take a look at the 12FV model on the Savage website.

The last time I looked, the 12FV was not on Savage's website. I see you're without a Cabelas, which may take it further out of the running. Unfortunately, now that I'm looking for other vendors, I see that the 12FV is not very common and way more expensive than at Cabelas. What is normally a $430 rifle ($380 on sale) is $600+ from other stores. That's almost like the other sellers are paying retail price at Cabelas and then reselling the rifles!

birdmove
    Well, I'll miss the boat on the rebate. Didn't realize that, in Hawaii, you have to submit a request to buy a rifle to the in my case), Hilo Police Department. They take a minimum of two weeks to go through. With the holidays coming etc, no way would Savage get my rebate coupon in time.

Hawaii treats gun owners as second class citizens. Well, we came here because we have a family member (our daughter) that needed help. So be it.