Thread: 10 BA and 10 FCP Series

logit226

10 BA and 10 FCP Series

I'm looking to make my first Savage purchase and am looking at the 10BA or 10 FCP series in 308 win with a 24" barrel. I will be using it mostly for recreational shooting out to around 500 with the occasional day of stretching it further and possibly hunting. I have had the opportunity to shoot a 10BA once and man that thing hammers! My concerns with the 10BA are its heavy as balls and I would never want to drag that around in the field hunting (though I usually use 30-06 hunting). The weight is making me lean towards 10 FCP series as I dont think I would lose too much accuracy with the FCP. How is the standard FCP stock/chassis? If going the FCP route would anyone suggest going with the McMillan or HS Precision stock over the standard savage stock? Is there any major reason to just go with the 10BA besides it being tacticool as @#%!

Basic Member
    The problem with the standard stock is the flex at the end of the stock. If you're looking for weight savings alone, the standard stock would be the way to go. Either the McMillan or the HS Precision stocks would be far above in rigidity over the standard stock. I would prefer either one to the standard stock.

You're right, the chasis that savage uses for the BA is way too heavy. I would go with the BA if I were looking at shooting F-Class with no weight restriction, stationary target shooting, but not something I would hump over hill and dale. Either the McMillan or the HS Precision would be excellent choices. Try both, see what's more comfortable, and go with that one.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Twinsen
    I would go McMillan over HS. Better parts support, better customer service, and the buttpads are screwed on instead of glued on.

Basic Member
    Model 10 FCP HS Precision, by far and away the best value for the money.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]