Thread: Brass Question

Basic Member

Brass Question

I loaded up some .243 win brass with 55 gr nosler spitzers everything went good till the last round. I looked after I shot it and the case neck was split. The barrel was brand new and head spaced by Kevin @ stockade guns and seemed to be OK with the others. Just don't know what would have caused it.. The barrel was pretty hot from shooting. Primers looked OK and the other brass looks fine also. I'm just over the min charge also no where near max.

flatshooter

Re: Brass Question

Quote Originally Posted by brianlt21
    I loaded up some .243 win brass with 55 gr nosler spitzers everything went good till the last round. I looked after I shot it and the case neck was split. The barrel was brand new and head spaced by Kevin @ stockade guns and seemed to be OK with the others. Just don't know what would have caused it.. The barrel was pretty hot from shooting. Primers looked OK and the other brass looks fine also. I'm just over the min charge also no where near max.
    I wound't get too concerned about it. Usally split case necks are from old brass. After 8x firing you should anneal the brass to extend life.

Basic Member

I wouldnt get too concerned about a single split nesck 3 or 4 maybe but not one.

Mike

What brand of brass?

Bought some Winchester 223 brass a few months ago. Three out of a hundred were split from the factory.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Kawabuggy

I'd like to know what type of brass as well. I'll bet it's Federal Cartridge... I have found several of those once-fired at the range that had split necks on them. Now when I buy used brass, I avoid FC at all costs.

Eric in NC

Didn't tell us if it was new, once fired, or...

Makes a big difference.

I would not be surprised to here that it was winchester brass.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

flatshooter

Old brass causes problems... it's worked and needs annealing, that's all. Brands don't come into play.

I beg to differ flatshooter. Since we dont know that its old brass your point is meaningless untill we have more information. Brands most certainly come into play or nobody would be using "premium" brass for durability. I have had several issues with winchester brass of several calibers the last couple years to the point of tossing most all of it away for various reasons.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

slaroy

Quote Originally Posted by EFBell
    I would not be surprised to here that it was winchester brass.
    +1

I recently purchased some winchester brass for 223. Just sizing and seating a bullet caused 23 cracked necks, and firing, with below max loads resulted in another 5-6 cracked necks. Personally, I will not be buying any more winchester brass.

old twice fired brass.

[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/img1274565224599.jpg[/img]over 6 mo old
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor