Thread: Confused with Savage 99

Marclly

Confused with Savage 99

Hi Everyone,

I've tried my best to answer my own question, but to no avail. I have an old Savage that I am having trouble identifying. I have dated it through the savage99.com website and it says it was made in 1914. My dad always said it was a 300 and we have shot many rounds of 300 ammo through, however, I read that the 300 wasn't made until 1920. There are very few markings on the gun other than the serial number (160324), "Savage arms Co, Patent App'd For" on the rear sight, it has an H in the circle on the front of the lever boss, and has a marble 57 front sight. On the butt, it has BSA impressed into somewhat of a teepee looking structure(shotgun style, hard rubber). Any help would be appreciated. I will post some pics soon. Thanks in advance.

Tell me what the barrel address says so I can date the barrel, the receiver is to early for 300 Sav.
    Savage- "never say never".

Marclly
    There is absolutely nothing on this barrel except for the "Savage arms Co, Patent App'd For" that was on the rear sight. Clearly this gun has been re-barrelled then? Would this have originally been a 303 or what are your thoughts on what would have made sense? I have pics of the old brute but can't upload attachments.

Yep, if there is no barrel address on the barrel itself then it's been re-barreled.

Only way to find out what the original chambering was would be to send a letter and serial number to the historian and have the rifle lettered.

Seeing as how your a Canadian as well I was wondering at first with that serial number if it was a sporterised Montreal Home Guard but the serial number is to low by about 5000.

Have you checked the serial numbers on the buttstock, buttplate and forearm to see if they matched the receiver serial number? From the sounds of it the buttplate has been swapped with a BSA buttplate.

Seems like it's going to turn out to be a Frankenrifle, and Bubba has had his way with it but if it shoots fine and a family hand down then I'd just appreciate it for what it is.
    Savage- "never say never".