Thread: who makes a prefit barrel set up for a can or brake

bigleo18

who makes a prefit barrel set up for a can or brake

Looking to put it on a savage 12 in 308 HB.

Kadams1563
    I can't recall if Jim at NSS does threading or not but you can look up Ross schuler and he does threading at a very reasonable price. He will thread, install, and time a muzzle break for around a hundred bucks. He also turns down the muzzle break to match the OD of your barrel. He's the cheapest I have seen.

LongRange
    a decent machine shop can thread your barrel for a break...criterion will thread their barrels for a break...they did my buddies without the action and it is timed perfect...also may want to call around your area and talk to some of the local smiths.

I don't know if anyone keeps in stock Savage prefit barrels with muzzle threads. None spring to mind anyway. However, just about all of the forum sponsors that are barrel makers offer that service on new prefits. My most recent purchase was from The Barrel Outlet, and I was pleased that it was delivered within 14 days. I've also gotten barrels from Apache, which are excellent but require patience to obtain, and Black Hole Weaponry, which I haven't run through the wringer yet but am pleased with the quality so far. All have had muzzle threads and none charged more than $60 for it when ordered along with the barrel.

Getting the threads themselves timed would be more challenging, of course, and sort of keep you out of the process. You'd send off your receiver, lug, nut, and muzzle device to the smith, and it would come back together with the barrel. The DIY version would be headspacing the prefit on your gun, marking the barrel so the smith knows which way is up, and sending the barrel off with the muzzle device to have the timing done. My AAC brake/mount was supplied with shims to align the device on any 5/8-24 threads. The can itself indexes in the brake and does not need to be timed. There may suppressors that do, though. I don't know.

LongRange
    or crush washers work to...i prefer the crush washers so i can remove and clean my break easily....not as nice of a finish though.

Are they? I had just assumed the shims had to be used to maintain concentricity or some such. I have a crush washer behind my Maxis brake, but I plan on replacing that brake with an AAC ASAP. I might go with another crush washer!

LongRange
    thats all ive ever used but then i dont build case queens LOL so im not as concerned with looks as i am with function.

Crush washers, peel washers, and the Accu-Washer kit from Precision Armament all serve one purpose - to properly index a muzzle device so the ports face the intended direction(s).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I too don't give much thought to the appearance of the transition between barrel and brake in the light of functionality. However, I think I'd hate the aesthetics and functionality of a suppressor that's undergone a baffle strike to not use a crush washer. The AAC manual and the collective wisdom of the Internet seem to be aligned against using crush washers behind suppressor mount muzzle devices. It's probably less of a threat when firing a .243 Win or 6.5 Creed through my 30-caliber can, but once I start using it on a .308, the margin for error goes down somewhat.

LongRange
    i have never owned one but most of the cans ive seen just spin on and are wrapped with some kind of cloth? so is indexing necessary?

The can doesn't, but the brake needs it. The flash hider AAC sells does not need to be indexed, but the brake has big ports that need to be on the side.

LongRange
    gotcha...well like i said all ive ever used is crush washers for breaks and never had an issue with the factory 110BA break...a JP enterprise recoil eliminator...a ross schuler and one other i cant remember the brand...all on a 300wm.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    gotcha...well like i said all ive ever used is crush washers for breaks and never had an issue with the factory 110BA break...a JP enterprise recoil eliminator...a ross schuler and one other i cant remember the brand...all on a 300wm.
    Dude, pay attention to the other poster...it's a BRAKE not a break.

BHW offers threaded barrels as standard, which I like a lot since most of the time you will pay anywhere from $70-130 to have someone thread your barrel. Big thing with paying someone to thread for you is to go with a gunsmith as a machinist is not trained to work on firearms and being concentric is key when using suppressor.

I know that NSS can have barrels threaded, as I ordered a Criterion threaded to my suppressors specs.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Dude, pay attention to the other poster...it's a BRAKE not a break.

BHW offers threaded barrels as standard, which I like a lot since most of the time you will pay anywhere from $70-130 to have someone thread your barrel. Big thing with paying someone to thread for you is to go with a gunsmith as a machinist is not trained to work on firearms and being concentric is key when using suppressor.

I know that NSS can have barrels threaded, as I ordered a Criterion threaded to my suppressors specs.
    Thanks for correcting me officer spell check...and if you think a gun smith is any better at threading your wrong...both will set the barrel up on a lathe with gauges to make sure everything is concentric...chambering a barrel id agree with you but threading for a BRAKE or a can is not rocket science.

Advertiser
    Crush washers are fine if you are mounting a muzzle device that will not be used as a suppressor mount, but you should never use a crush washer if you are going to be adding a suppressor. Most suppressor manufactures specifically state NOT to use a crush washer.