Thread: Model 12fv

Model 12fv

I bought a Model 12fv in 308 on sale at Cabela's. This is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot, but the stock is was not heavy enough making the 26" barrel front heavy, My custom fix was to remove the recoil pad and fill the hollow with trap shot. I also fit stick on lead wheel weights in the hollow slots in the forend. With scope and bipod its weight is 16 pounds and makes 308 feel like a 223 recoil. Shoot it all day off the bench, and you can see your hits through the scope as you shoot it. What a honey for the money.

Basic Member
    Hey Jruby38, picked up the little brother .223 rem the other day and did some range time with it yesterday. Thinking about picking up a .308 too. Great rifle for the price. If any of you folks have one could you throw out some good after market stocks for these savage 12's.

Thanks

Basic Member
    I got one in 22-250 and immediately re-barreled it to 260 Rem.. I wish I would have at least put a box or two through the 22-250 before I did, but I still have the barrel so maybe oneday... Mine is a 4.4" spacing so there are lots of stock options available..

I like the factory laminates such as the one that comes on the BVSS models.
    If you dont mind super heavy and a nice fat grip then the Choate ultimate sniper or varmint is a solid choice. They come with very heavy steel stock spacers and also have a full length aluminum bedding block. Not quite 16# worth though. Lots of others available depending on your taste and preference.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 11-14-2015 at 01:32 AM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

My .308 12FV was great too. I treated mine to a pre-firing JB compound scrub, and it was dead nuts right away. Using SSA 175gr ammo, it took me four shots to realize my previous shots were so close to the first shot that I just couldn't see them.

One of my 22-250s was a 12fv and I did a little trigger work and put a VLP stock on it and it still shoots great.

Sam5300
    Love my 223 fv as well, I have it in a boyds tacticool stock. Needs to be bedded still but it shoots great as is so I haven't gotten around to it. Question for you guys that have rebarreled them, I'd like to rebarrel to a creedmoor this year, would a blind magazine for a 308 hog hunter be what I need? No one has one in stock and most posts about blind magazines are people asking how to convert to detachable. If I call savage and ask for a blind mag setup for that hog hunter that should work right? Both center feed blind mag I would assume. Thanks

I had to drive 180 miles from Houston to get a 308 FV last week. I was planning to use the action for a 6.5 build but after shooting it this weekend I was impress, first five shots at 50 yrds was one jagged hole then moved to 100 and next five shots were touching, moved to 300 and the next 5 shot goups were 2.5 inch center to center the last four shots were also within one moa. first shot was for sigthing. Impressive out of the box performance using cheap ammo. A Bell and Carlson adjustable and new scope coming in today. Cant wait to start load development. The issue I had was I had the trigger lock up twice while closing the bolt. The trigger is set from the factory and it measured 1 lb 13 oz. I read this happens when the trigger is set low and I feel the trigger needs to go a little lower for my liking.

Basic Member
    I had 6" taken off the barrel of my 22-250 and changed the stock, really like it now.

Look for Gods blessings..........they are around everyday!<br /><br />Savage 10fp, 12fv, 93fv, 93R17

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvideostore View Post
    Hey Jruby38, picked up the little brother .223 rem the other day and did some range time with it yesterday. Thinking about picking up a .308 too. Great rifle for the price. If any of you folks have one could you throw out some good after market stocks for these savage 12's.

Thanks
    I bought a Model 12 in 243 and sold the barrel and stock. I installed a Shilen 6mm BR barrel and bedded the action to a Boyd's stock. It was inexpensive and easy. Once properly bedded, but Boyd's is as good as any and WAY less than expensive as my latest McMillen build (a .223 F/TR gun) which cost about 6 times as much and isn't functionally any better. Don't worry, you don't have to buy one in this crazy color.

6mm BR

Stock and scope came in. After installing the stock the trigger lock up went away and was able to bring the trigger down to 1 lb. Even slamming the bolt wont recreate the lock up. Cant wait to try it this weekend .

Basic Member
    I have a FVSS in 22-250 and it's very accurate. I tried to make the plastic stock work but just couldn't. Even after epoxying a carbon arrow shaft in the for end the barrel would still contact the stock if I put my bag near the end of the for end. What I found was that it was flexing in the recoil lug recess. Being that I shoot left handed I ordered a Stockade Elk Stalker ambidextrous thumb hole stock. It took longer to get than I was told but what a difference. No flex and the stock rides the bags much better. My rifle comes in a touch over 12 pounds IIRC.

Sam5300
    Love that stock color!

Big Boom
    Hey! what kind of one piece is that mount?

Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    I have a FVSS in 22-250 and it's very accurate. I tried to make the plastic stock work but just couldn't. Even after epoxying a carbon arrow shaft in the for end the barrel would still contact the stock if I put my bag near the end of the for end. What I found was that it was flexing in the recoil lug recess. Being that I shoot left handed I ordered a Stockade Elk Stalker ambidextrous thumb hole stock. It took longer to get than I was told but what a difference. No flex and the stock rides the bags much better. My rifle comes in a touch over 12 pounds IIRC.

I like the rifle and your portable bench!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Great looking gun there, I love my gun now that it shoots, as well as it does. Need a good scope got a lot of info here and I thanks all of you Thanks!!!!! My gun is a bull barrel 08, and it is front heavy very! goin to look for a nice wood stock, but first a scope. thing locks up tight and action works great . just got luck or savage is that good.

Basic Member
    have a 12fv in 22-250 shoots well maybe one day re-barrel it to 260 - does anyone have any good load data for the 22-250?