Thread: Douglas Barrels

Basic Member

Douglas Barrels

Anyone have experience with Douglas barrels? I'm trying to finish up a few projects before Christmas and have been trying to source a couple of prefits in 6.5 Creed and .338 Lapua. Lilja, Pac-Nor, Brux etc. are all around 10-12 week lead times, and Douglas said they would have it to me in around 3 or less(!).

Just wanting to see if anyone has had experience with their barrels and how they shoot.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Excellent barrels. I have one in 308 and shoots great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ive not heard anything but good about them. Im gonna use them for my next build. They're only about 20min from my house, so I figured Id give some money to the local business. Its a small family run company.
    I think youll be happy with them.
    Let us know....
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    I have always had very good luck with Douglas barrels since the late 1970's. Matter of fact my last build, (2014) was a Douglas and it shoots great and cleans up rather quickly. They've been around quite a while but, it seems they don't get much love. Fine with me, their turn around time is great!
    #10 G.I. Vietnam. You got anymore ammo?

Basic Member
    Thanks for the insight, gents. It sounds like they're pretty good barrels, but they definitely don't get the same recognition that some of the other manufacturers do. I have an opportunity to pick up a Bartlein prefit for the .338 Lapua, but I very well may end up going with Douglas for the 6.5 Creedmoor.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

I have three, all are outstanding shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    Thanks for the insight, gents. It sounds like they're pretty good barrels, but they definitely don't get the same recognition that some of the other manufacturers do. I have an opportunity to pick up a Bartlein prefit for the .338 Lapua, but I very well may end up going with Douglas for the 6.5 Creedmoor.
    If memory serves, they were THE barrel to have before Hart and Lija and after Pac-Nor, or something like that. Even though the barrel is the heart of the mechanical potential for accuracy, a great deal more goes into it. I suspect there isn't much of a difference in quality among top barrel makers but that there are trends in which maker is popular at any given time. Something to the effect of "Brand X is the top, but Brand Y shoots right alongside it (possibly for less money)" soon becomes "Brand Y is the top, but Brand Z shoots right along side it (possibly with less wait time)". Eventually, "Brand Z is the top, has anyone heard of Brand X?"

LongRange
    i agree 100% with the bandwagon effect...or flavor of the month...for sake of better words...but at the same time i think like everything else barrels are more money driven than what actual shoots THE BEST and the second thing driving the what is best question is "how fast can i get it".
    and what i mean is that most ppl dont want to wait 6+mos for a barrel or pay $200 more for a barrel if they can get it from someone that sells prefits and they can get it in a few days.

kreiger and bartlein have been top dogs for years but we as savage guys dont hear a lot about them because they dont make prefits but if they did i bet EVERYONE would be shooting them over the other prefit offerings.

Team Savage
    I have one I chambered in 338-06 very very happy with it.

Basic Member
    Gentlemen, great insight. I really appreciate it.

It sounds like Douglas makes a good barrel from everything that I can find. I definitely agree with the 'flavor of the week' or 'bandwagon' sentiment as they are very pertinent in the world of shooting. I guess the fact of the matter is, it really does come down to money and how long you're willing to wait for barrel X, especially when barrels Y and Z offer comparable performance but cost less or will get there faster. Furthermore, everyone is going to have different experiences/opinions, and I think this really epitomizes the idea that there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to aftermarket barrels.

I have heeded your advice (for those of you that sent me PMs, thank you, it's been a huge help) and decided on a Bartlein prefit for the Lapua and a Douglas prefit for the Creedmoor. I have no doubts that both will be great shooters!

LongRange
    please keep us posted on your thoughts with both.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    please keep us posted on your thoughts with both.
    Please do!
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Change of plans. Bartlein was 3-5 months out on their blanks, and Douglas does not chamber for .338 Lapua.

Ordered a Pac-Nor prefit for the Lapua, and will start another thread once it comes in. Still planning to have Douglas make a barrel for the 6.5 Creedmoor, but that project may get pushed out beyond Christmas now.

Basic Member
    Pac-nor makes excellent barrels. I have one in 25-06ai that shoots in the .1's