Thread: Custom 260 build

Basic Member

Custom 260 build

I wanted to do a light weight tactical build in 260 Remington. My choice for caliber had several requirements. The caliber had to be necked down or up easily from available brass in case I'm in a pinch. Brass had to produced by Lapua. Caliber had to be .264

I bought a flat back action from a member here. The deal came with a staggard feed boyds stock, a 6mm BR CBI barrel, and ~100 pieces of 6mm br lapua brass. The stock I put on a 223 I had that was crying for a better stock than the tuppaware stock made from Savage. The barrel and brass was sold to another member here on the forum.

The barrel and recoil lug came from Northland Shooters Supply. The barrel is a prefit in 260 Remington. The action came with a nice Rifle Basix II trigger, so no need to upgrade the trigger. I sent the action off to be T&T from Fred.

The bolt handle came from Ebay. It is carbon fiber to save on weight.

I went to a local gunshop to look around. I had no plans on buying anything. I had already chosen the Vortex Viper 6-24x50 FFP scope. They had a deal on a brand new one that was cheaper than what I could purchase online. Thus, the scope followed me home. I'm going to a gun show this weekend. I wonder what will follow me home from there. I probably shouldn't go lol.

I had plans on using a Manners stock to save on the weight, however, I no longer have patience for 4 - 6 month weights. So I cancelled that order and sent back a CDI precision bottom metal. Those seem well made, but I chose to go with a different stock that would have the AICS built into it.

My next initial call was to McMillan. They make excellent stocks, however, I have no desire to lug an 8 pound stock over hill and dale. After a few hours of internet searching led me MDT LSS chasis system. I liked the fact I could choose what hardware could be installed on it to control the weight. I also like the fact it weight in 1.6 pounds. I used a milspec buffer tube, a Magpul CRT stock with cheek riser, a Magpul MOE Pistol Grip.

Initially I was planning on using MDTAC 10 round poly mags. They seem well made, but do not allow much a long COAL. I then went to the Alpha Mag type II These allow plenty of room for the Berger Hybrids I'm now running. These are well made. I have also purchased a 5 round Magpul AICS magazine. These also work well. They don't have as much COAL as the Alphas, but they work and are light weight.

For scope mounts and bases, I went with vortex precision rings and EGW 20moa rail.

I took all the pieces to a local gun shop and told them to cerekote and put the project together. They have done an outstanding job.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

LongRange
    two words...BAD A$$!!

Basic Member
    Extremely nice!!!

Nice work! It looks like you put a lot of thought into it and made the rifle you wanted.

I like the SMURFPAT camo as well!

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. It's a shooter. H4831sc and Berger hybrids are your friends. This rifle makes nice tiny groups. Can't wait to take her to a 1000 yard range.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

That cerekote job is killer!

Basic Member
    Super job on your build. Question on your flat back. What is the action bolt spacing?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbp75503 View Post
    Super job on your build. Question on your flat back. What is the action bolt spacing?
    Action bolt spacing is 4.27"