So I was shooting a couple days ago and it seemed like I was just nailing targets left and right. At 700 yards, I had less than 2 inches of vertical spread for test loads of 42.7 and 43.1 grains of IMR 4064. I loaded up .1 increments between 42.7 and 43.1 grains +25 fouler/sighter rounds with 42.7 gr.

The next day, I shot the first group at 900 yards and somehow managed to get a 4 inch group with 42.7 grains on the sighter rounds. However, the last (4th) shot flew off to the side which I just figured was wind. The next two groups opened up to 8-12 inches which I thought at the time was simply me rushing to get done before dark and maybe a change in conditions. Took the same loads back out today at 100 yards and Im shooting over an inch group. 4 days ago, the exact same setup in the same place with similar conditions was producing clover leaf groups if not almost in the same hole.

Im not sure about the 900 yard groups...I think the first one was probably luck and its probably very unlikely to happen again. But it seems like I was consistently getting good groupings at 700 yards. Then the 100 yard deal I dont understand either. I went from bullet holes touching to not even MOA. Im shooting off bags, making sure the scope is level, good form, correct breathing, slow heartbeat, and slow slow trigger pull. Just danced around the X and was consistent in group size, but just not a precise as it was. Its possible that the 900 yard groups were simply, as I mentioned, a factor of luck plus rushing the shots on the last 2 which made them open way up. But I cleaned the gun yesterday and also did some work on the bolt so I fear I may have messed up something somewhere. Only thing I really did on the bolt was put some sticky grease on the lugs and contact points to improve bolt lift. As far as the shots being off after cleaning, I shot 25 rounds today and nothing changed in those 25. Consistently stayed over an inch. Probably close to 1.25 or so but I didn't bother measuring. I just knew it was too big is all.

Cleaned it same as always: Hoppes #9 on a patch from the chamber end. I take care to put my finger on the muzzle so I dont go past the crown with the rod and pull back through. I usually repeat until I get a light gray and it doesn't get much lighter. Just cant see for the life of me what happened. Im thinking I might take the rifle apart tonight and retorque everything. Might also load up some rounds with the balance scale instead of the electronic just to take that variable out.

Heres what the equipment looks like...

Savage 10, 26 inch shilen #17 varmint with 11 degree crown, McM A5 stock w/ devcon bedding, ARC M10 rings, Viper PST FFP 6-24 scope w/ vortex level. Action torqued to 55 in-lbs and hasn't been messed with since I put it together a few weeks ago. All scope screws torqued to 65 in-lbs as per directions. TPS base torqued to 20 in-lbs.

Really not much to go wrong that I can think of, or at least not that rapidly.