Thread: Help recommend what model/version to buy in .22-250 !

22-250fan

Help recommend what model/version to buy in .22-250 !

Hello Guys, I'm new here. I'm wanting to buy a Savage rifle in 22-250 and need some advice. I'm looking for as close as I can get to a tackdriver for the money. Not wanting to go crazy. Can spend $800-$1000 on the Rifle. Will buy a scope and mounts later.
    Would you guys give your opinion/advice on what model you would recommend. Maybe recommend a scope and mounts. I think I have to have the accutrigger. Think I would like the accustock. Been looking into the 16/116 FCSS because it has the accustock. It has a 22" barrel. Would I be giving up any velocity to a longer barrel rifle? The model whose look appeals to me is the 12 BVSS. Would its 26" barrel amp up the velocity compared to that 22" rifle? The 12 BVSS doesn't have the accustock feature. Have you guys determined the accustock really makes a difference? Also the 12 BVSS has the laminated wood stock. What about issues with the wood expanding and contracting with humidity and temperature and the subsequent pushing and pulling on the action screws? Does it really make a difference as far as accuracy is concerned? What about the issue I've heard of about plastic floorplates/mags/trigger housings, etc? Do the two guns I mentioned have any plastic parts?
    I'm hoping one of you guys are a serious varminter or long range target shooter. I'm an amateur looking to get into some long range shooting. Average target range would be about 300yds. Any recommendations as to specific cartridges would be good too. I'm thinking I would like a scope with a max power of at least 12 and maybe up to 18 or even 24.
    I've owned a 110 in 7mm Rem Mag since the late 90's and fell in love with it from day one. I mentioned how accurate that gun was to an old-timer gun nut friend of mine and he said "...a lot of that is because of the barrel nut" I didn't know what he was talking about then, but I do now. This is the reason I'm here looking for my second Savage centerfire rifle (I have a .22 LR.) I know that Savage IS the manufacturer to go to for this 22-250. Accuracy is my main goal. Would like maximum velocity and energy on the target as well.
    Any help, advice, recommendations or criticism will be much appreciated.
    Thanks, John.

Basic Member
    It all boils down to what you want to do with the rifle if you're going to be hunting in thick brush go with the shorter barrel light weight rifle if it going to be mostly shot at the range then go with the longer barrel heavier rifle pretty much any one you pick will shoot probably at least 3 inches at 300 yards depending on your abilities as far as maximum velocities and retained energy on target again it depends on what you are using it for you don't need much retained energy to put holes in paper or kill pdogs but if its larger game your after then its worth looking into

RegisG
    If you reload, You will likely match the burn rate of powder to your barrel length. What RamShooter said is probably best advice on length. Lots of articles out there about cutting barrel length and not loosing velocity but, if you want long range then you want as much time in barrel as you can to spin/stabilize that bullet.
    I'm looking at same models as you and will be following answers of folks with experience with these.

Regis

Basic Member
    This probably won't help you much, but there's a really nice used Model 12 .22-250 at the Cabela's in Greenville, SC. 28" fluted bull barrel, nice stock... I'd say that'd be a pretty good place to start if you wanted an out-of-the-box tack driver. I'd have to look at it again, but I'm pretty sure it would set you back around $850, maybe a little more with taxes and everything.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Since you have $800-1000 budgeted. Why not give the Cabelas exclusive 12fv which they have on sale for $379 a shot.
    With the savings you can ditch the factory plastic stock and buy a much nicer one.

22-250fan
    Thanks for all the help guys. ........ I'm off to Cabela's to take a look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any other ideas are much appreciated.

22-250fan
    Already decided guys! Looked at some at Cabela's... went next door to Gander Mountain. Gander Mountain had a 12 BVSS and I instantly fell in love. Gotta put the money together and buy one of those. Man, does that one inspire passion.
    How do you guys think a BVSS in .22-250 is gonna shoot out of the box?
    Do I need to do anything to it? What Weaver scope should I use? And most importantly what scope mounts to get?

Basic Member
    I would recommend a Vortex scope to maximize it's potential, but it's really dependent on what you want to spend.

If you need a base, EGW seems to do just fine for most guys. As for rings, it doesn't get any better than Ken Farrell industries. Pricey, but worth it.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

22-250fan
    Does someone make a simple 2-piece mounting system where the lower half screws down directly to the receiver and the upper half acts as a clamp to secure the scope? Obviously it would require one 2-piece assembly for the front and one for the back of the scope thought. It seems the less parts screwing together, the better for accuracy.