Hello Guys, I'm new here. I'm wanting to buy a Savage rifle in 22-250 and need some advice. I'm looking for as close as I can get to a tackdriver for the money. Not wanting to go crazy. Can spend $800-$1000 on the Rifle. Will buy a scope and mounts later.
Would you guys give your opinion/advice on what model you would recommend. Maybe recommend a scope and mounts. I think I have to have the accutrigger. Think I would like the accustock. Been looking into the 16/116 FCSS because it has the accustock. It has a 22" barrel. Would I be giving up any velocity to a longer barrel rifle? The model whose look appeals to me is the 12 BVSS. Would its 26" barrel amp up the velocity compared to that 22" rifle? The 12 BVSS doesn't have the accustock feature. Have you guys determined the accustock really makes a difference? Also the 12 BVSS has the laminated wood stock. What about issues with the wood expanding and contracting with humidity and temperature and the subsequent pushing and pulling on the action screws? Does it really make a difference as far as accuracy is concerned? What about the issue I've heard of about plastic floorplates/mags/trigger housings, etc? Do the two guns I mentioned have any plastic parts?
I'm hoping one of you guys are a serious varminter or long range target shooter. I'm an amateur looking to get into some long range shooting. Average target range would be about 300yds. Any recommendations as to specific cartridges would be good too. I'm thinking I would like a scope with a max power of at least 12 and maybe up to 18 or even 24.
I've owned a 110 in 7mm Rem Mag since the late 90's and fell in love with it from day one. I mentioned how accurate that gun was to an old-timer gun nut friend of mine and he said "...a lot of that is because of the barrel nut" I didn't know what he was talking about then, but I do now. This is the reason I'm here looking for my second Savage centerfire rifle (I have a .22 LR.) I know that Savage IS the manufacturer to go to for this 22-250. Accuracy is my main goal. Would like maximum velocity and energy on the target as well.
Any help, advice, recommendations or criticism will be much appreciated.
Thanks, John.