Thread: Finally fixed it!

mugsie

Finally fixed it!

I have a Savage 10FP that I purchased from Cabelas a while ago - no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to group decently. Three touching - one out. Two touching & two touching. Tried various powders, bullets, weighing cases, bullets, and nothing worked. Yesterday I completely disassembled the rifle. Removed it from the Choate stock in was in and found two burrs on the aluminum blocks by the reciever. I filed them down. I also found plastic burrs in the stock bottom mounting rail and used a large drill hand held like a countersink and removed them also. Reassembled it all, loaded 20 rounds with 42.6g of IMR 4895 under a Nosler 168g HPBT bullet. Thought I was using large rifle primers but grabbed large pistols instead (didn't know it at the itme).

Took it to the range and it shot like a dream! All groups were touching at 100 yards. I am very pleased with it now. Tonight I loaded another 50 using the right primers and we'll see what she does tomorrow, but I gotta believe the aluminum burrs were causing a lot of the problems.

Whew - problem resolved!

Basic Member

Re: Finally fixed it!

Just had a B&C tactical medalist with the same problem, machined the metal down, then did a skim bed with steel bed, shoots tiny bugholes now with a handload!