Thread: last long range varmint match of the year today...

LongRange

last long range varmint match of the year today...

well im am EXTREMELY happy with my short action remodel...i shot it at a 600yds F-class a few weeks ago and my shots were drifting high and low..not by a lot but enough to see the load needed a little fine tuning and a .005 adjustment in seating depth did the trick...FROGGY WAS RIGHT !!

ive struggled this year to move up from expert into the master class in the varmint match...well it happened today and in a big way...i shot a 36 and had highest score of the match...and honestly i think i could of shot a clean 40 if i hadnt made a couple of mistakes...first i was still trying to get set up when they called fire on my first string and was about 45 seconds in before i fired my first round so i was rushing to get the other 4 off before i timed out.
    now this one is going to make you guys that shoot matches laugh...you know how you feel when you shoot a wrong target right? well i not only shot at the wrong squirrel it was on the wrong line and the bad part was i had plenty of time and wasnt rushed. my last string i had a clean going until pulled my last shot....4 misses outta 40 rounds...im ok with that!!...for this year!!!

Basic Member
    Nice shooting and congrats on the move up

last long range varmint match of the year today...

Yobuck is a f in idiot
    Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

LongRange
    Thanks guys...ive got to give my smith some props to for doing a fatastic job chambering this barrel...the XLR chassis is the only thing ill shoot out of from this point on and the vortex razor HD gen 2 is IMHO the best optic on the market in the $3k price range.
    I was going to buy a kreiger next but i think im going to buy 2 bartleins and hope one shoots as well as this one does lol.

Basic Member
    Show us the targets!
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Congrats LongRange. I hope you share with us as you get ready for 2016.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Show us the targets!
    the line...

squirrels at 330yds...

crows and chucks at 425yds...

yotes and rabbits at 550yds....

yotes at 650yds...and the yote at the top is 850yds...

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Congrats LongRange. I hope you share with us as you get ready for 2016.
    thanks....2016 starts in march i think...im going to shoot the last 1000yd F-class match of this year the sunday after next.

Basic Member
    Very good congratulations. Im wondering how that guy in the chair can sleep with all the noise. Must be either deaf or have really good earmuffs.
    Around here guys are known to have 2 of those Swaro spotters in a bracket just to find a scrawny little deer.

LongRange
    LOL..he is almost deaf...and depending on how many ppl are at the match...we normally have 4 guys in a squad so at least two(most times 3)guys spotting for the shooter...the problem is that everyone calls misses different...when they squad me with newer guys i ask them to NOT to call my misses and to only call the yardage and animal NOT if the animal is facing right or left or green ears ECT.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    LOL..he is almost deaf...and depending on how many ppl are at the match...we normally have 4 guys in a squad so at least two(most times 3)guys spotting for the shooter...the problem is that everyone calls misses different...when they squad me with newer guys i ask them to NOT to call my misses and to only call the yardage and animal NOT if the animal is facing right or left or green ears ECT.
    Its amasing how different people looking at the same thing see it differently if at all.
    One (good) spotter is all thats needed, everybody else just shut up.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Its amasing how different people looking at the same thing see it differently if at all.
    One (good) spotter is all thats needed, everybody else just shut up.
    yep...i can see 99% of my impacts...i had a very good spotter yesterday that called a hit on the 650 yote that i didnt see very well...the shot just nicked his back leg.

Basic Member
    Good finish LR. Glad everything has come together for you.

LongRange
    thanks LW and thanks for all of your input on this...i think more than anything the chassis made the biggest difference in that it is so adjustable...the scope is fantastic mostly because of the EBR-2C that i thought was going to take awhile to get use to but after the first two times out with it its like ive been shooting it all along...i think night force is loosing a lot of business right now because of their radicles.

im also still planing a trip down after the first of the year some time before our match season starts here.

Basic Member
    Definitely a good thing when you remove all thoughts of concern with your gear and only have to worry about your shooting.

LongRange
    obviously made a big difference for me LOL....like i say ive really struggled this year to move up and this build just all came together and works very well.
    i will also say that i was doubtful about cut rifling VS button and i dont know if there is an actual accuracy difference but i can say that this barrel does not copper foul at all even after 200 rounds...and that a cold clean bore has the same POI as a fouled barrel...no fliers...maybe just an exceptional barrel? im not sure but i am impressed enough that next month i will order 2 more bartlein blanks and have them chambered exactly the same.

schnyd112
    He killed it on Saturday. At one point hit 29+ in a row until I got in his head. Told him last target, put the pressure on, then had to recant and tell him he had 3 more. It was an impressive performance. That rifle is pretty awesome and has a very unique look with the break that is on it. The long range varmint match is sure a fun game. I can't wait till march when it starts up again.

Great shooting longshot. Call it the barrel, say what you want but most of the success is decided by the guy pulling the trigger. Congratulations.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post
    He killed it on Saturday. At one point hit 29+ in a row until I got in his head. Told him last target, put the pressure on, then had to recant and tell him he had 3 more. It was an impressive performance. That rifle is pretty awesome and has a very unique look with the break that is on it. The long range varmint match is sure a fun game. I can't wait till march when it starts up again.

Great shooting longshot. Call it the barrel, say what you want but most of the success is decided by the guy pulling the trigger. Congratulations.
    thanks B...and whats impressive is you shooting a 220 swift with a 53g smk out to 650yds...cant wait to see how you do with a 6.5!!